ATM/Currency Conversion

We are on the 29 June Emerald Princess cruise.

I understand there is a $3.50 charge for ATM withdrawals on the ship. How much can you take out per day and what other charges are involved? Have your banks also added the foreign transaction fee to the ship ATM?

Or is it better to just get your Euros at an ATM off the ship?

thank you! :)

I understand there is a $3.50 charge for ATM withdrawals on the ship. How much can you take out per day and what other charges are involved? Have your banks also added the foreign transaction fee to the ship ATM?

It certainly was far more cost effective to use the BANK ATM's in Italy last year. We made sure to use a debit card (Paypal debit card that we had preloaded with funds before our trip) where we knew that the only charges would be $1. per transaction and a 1% conversion fee. We got a far better exchange rate than anything we could find in the US and, unless Italian banks have changed since last year, were charged no service fees for using their ATM's.

This website will show you what the fees and rates are for various cards. But be sure and double check th big ones like BOA as they vary from branch to branch and state to state: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

It certainly was far more cost effective to use the BANK ATM's in Italy last year. We made sure to use a debit card (Paypal debit card that we had preloaded with funds before our trip) where we knew that the only charges would be $1. per transaction and a 1% conversion fee. We got a far better exchange rate than anything we could find in the US and, unless Italian banks have changed since last year, were charged no service fees for using their ATM's.

This website will show you what the fees and rates are for various cards. But be sure and double check th big

ones like BOA as they vary from branch to branch and state to state: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

thanks for the tip. that is a great site.

madi:) :)

Doesn't the ships ATM's disburse US $$? Your local bank might have affiliates in Europe where there are no ATM costs. Mine certainly does. The exchange rates through ATMs are great.

What you say above just was not our actual experience. We paid FAR lower rates using our Paypal debit card than ANYTHING possible in the US. I researched this for months ahead of time. Our main bank account was Bank of America. I spent many hours on the phone with an international banking expert trying to get the correct "scoop" on exactly what fees I would have to pay for withdrawals in Italy using our branch's ATM debit card. The flyer-talk web site info I posted above was correct with the $5. per transaction fee and the 3% conversion rate; also BOA has NO partner banks in Italy - other European countries yes, just not Italy. There are a few banks listed on that flyer-talk web site that were better than the Paypal debit card we ended up using, but none were available to us in a timely fashion for our trip.

When we returned from Italy we were pleasantly surprised by how well we did on the exchange rate by waiting to exchange our dollars to Euros at the bank ATM's in Italy. Our BOA debit card was our back-up, but never had to use it. We called Paypal (or any debit or credit card used overseas) and told them the dates we would be overseas to make sure no stop payment was imposed. Daily limits can vary so be sure you have all the facts and plan accordingly.

But the very best exchange rate, with NO FEES or percentages for exchange was by using our Capital One credit card and asking merchants bill me in their local currency.

If you are planning to get euros, don't use the ship ATM. On Emerald Princess you will get dollars, not euros.

Some ships have currency conversion "machines" where you can feed in dollars and get euros (or other currency depending on the ports). Unless you are desperate, do not use these as the exchange rate is abysmal.

ATMs on land generally give the best rates. The service charges, etc. will vary based on your bank, so you should definitely check it out with them ahead of time (as well as letting them know that you will be using your card outside the US -- you don't want them to freeze your account if they suspect the card has been stolen!)

Bam1958,

We are on the same cruise as you. We're trying to decide if it's worth it to open a new account with Capital One to avoid ATM fees or to just use our current ATM card, which charges 2%. Hassle vs. saving some $.

We have a Roll Call going on the Princess Roll Call board if you are interested. We're all getting pretty excited as the time grows closer! Hope your planning is going well!

Buckeye7

we may join the roll call-there are 14 of us and we're celebrating 50th birthdays. buckeye-ohio? 4 of us graduated from the University of Dayton.

anyway...we opened the Capital One card as we're spending the week prior in Paris and Venice and a couple in Barcelona as well. Seeing my other card wanted to charge 3%, i felt it was the way to go. We'll just throw as much on the credit card as we can.

bam1958

thank you for all of the information. we were not aware that the atm only gave us US$ and then the other machine gives Euros at a very poor exchange rate.

also found out that if anybody out there likes travelers checks Princess will only cash $250 per adult per cabin per cruise...not per day.

also, thanks for the website, it was very informative!

We were on the Grand Princess to Europe recently, and exchanged $ at ATMs exclusively with a debit card. We also used our credit card as much as possible. It's the most painless way to go. :p

When you first start seeing the high prices in euros and converting it to $, it is definitely shocking. Don't ruin your trip by worrying about the conversion rate, put it on the credit card and enjoy yourself. Remember this is a trip well-deserved and long looked forward to, just charge now and pay later.:D

What you say above just was not our actual experience. We paid FAR lower rates using our Paypal debit card than ANYTHING possible in the US. I researched this for months ahead of time. Our main bank account was Bank of America. I spent many hours on the phone with an international banking expert trying to get the correct "scoop" on exactly what fees I would have to pay for withdrawals in Italy using our branch's ATM debit card. The flyer-talk web site info I posted above was correct with the $5. per transaction fee and the 3% conversion rate; also BOA has NO partner banks in Italy .

We use Scotiabank in Canada who's US Partner is BOA so they should have the same international partners. We used BNP Paribus in both France and Italy and never paid the $5 fee. They were harder to find in Italy, but they were in the main cities.

There is definitely the 2 - 3% exchange rate, but that's pretty standard unless you use the Capital One Credit card.

Bam1958,

We are on the same cruise as you. We're trying to decide if it's worth it to open a new account with Capital One to avoid ATM fees or to just use our current ATM card, which charges 2%. Hassle vs. saving some $.

We have a Roll Call going on the Princess Roll Call board if you are interested. We're all getting pretty excited as the time grows closer! Hope your planning is going well!

Buckeye7

Capital One cards should be used for purchases in Europe because they have no fees. I used it and it was great. Don't try to use it for ATM because you would get hit hard with cash advance fees because they are not ATM cards.

I used my Smith Barney FMA card in Europe and had no fees at Citibanks and 1% conversion fee at other ATMs.

Archived