Fishing

albyman32

Some people in our group are interesting in doing some fishing. We're going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka. We currently have excursions booked for Juneua and Skagway so we're lookin for fishing opps in Ketch and Sitka but open to the two others as well if its something we can fit in timewise. I saw there are some charters but they're rather expensive. Are there any fishing charters that we can do thats <$150? Or maybe something really basic just like somewhere where we can rent some equipment and fish on the dock or on a lake for a couple hours? We're not experienced so not looking for anything hardcore.

When are you going??? You can fish from the marina in Ketchikan. The pole rentals change every year. Contact the visitor center.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com If they want to ship fish, budget at least $100.

IF no one is renting the fishing poles, they could take the city bus, or shuttle bus to Walmart and buy a cheap one. BUT be certain to secure a license too.

you should know that fishing from a charter is very different then just fishing. on charters...they do everything except reel the fish in, you just sit and watch. they bait the hooks, put the line in the water and tell when to reel it in. if the big fish are biting, they will limit it to one person at a time..the other watch.

you are only allowed to keept 1 halibut per person per day...halibut fishing is like pulling a huge boulder up 3 stories or more.

salmon fishing could be a little more exciting...but still have limits to what you can keep. any fish you want to bring home..has to be processed and shipped home, very costly. no ship will let you on with the fish.

most of fishing, on a good day....is "watch, wait and hope"...on a great day, you can be sore from reeling in the "big" one.

if you enjoy a day out in a boat, go for it...if you have never been out on a charter and don't know if the rocking boat will make you sea sick...plan something else.

We are fishing in Ketchikan – supposedly the best for salmon. If you love fishing I don’t know how you can go wrong with a charter. They know the waters and should be able to put you on fish.

We are using Ketchikan Charter Boats (which was recommended by Ken at Northern Lights – he was booked.)

800-272-7291 for a 4 hour trip. Short stay in Ketchikan, unfortunately. We wound up getting a whole boat by ourselves though I would of preferred the company of others… I would hate to say I went to Alaska and did not go fishing..

Some people in our group are interesting in doing some fishing. We're going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka. We currently have excursions booked for Juneua and Skagway so we're lookin for fishing opps in Ketch and Sitka but open to the two others as well if its something we can fit in timewise. I saw there are some charters but they're rather expensive. Are there any fishing charters that we can do thats <$150? Or maybe something really basic just like somewhere where we can rent some equipment and fish on the dock or on a lake for a couple hours? We're not experienced so not looking for anything hardcore.

My husband fished out of Seward and said it was fantastic. He shipped home almost 100 pounds of halibut fillets! They were allowed to each catch two, an he said they could have easily caught more. Once they caught their limit, they fished for Black Rock Fish (or something like that) and shiopped the meat home too. The name of the company was "Pro-fish-N-Sea" - with Capt Steve.

Judge ruled and reversed decision on one halibut rule so it is back up to 2, effective immediately.

Janice

Only a temporary restraining order on the 1 fish rule until (I think) June 20, when there is a new hearing.

Archived