Walking in Central London

sej67

How many things can you see in one day if walking? I'm a young man in good shape. Can I see St. Paul's Cathedral, Big Ben, Westminster Cathedral and the Tower of London? And is Buckingham Palace within walking distance of these?

We had guests from the States a few weeks ago and were able to do the following in one day:

Buckingham Palace

London Eye

Big Ben/Parliament

Westminster Abbey (From the outside only)--check visiting hours before you go

Trafalgar Square

Horse Guards

Strolling along the Embankment

Tower of London

This was a very ambitious day...We weren't able to get into the Abbey as we were there during a ceremony rehearsal. But we did stop for lunch at a pub and had dinner when we were done.

A lot of the sites above are simply walk-bys. Buckingham Palace allows visitors inside in August and September.

Be sure to check whether you want to visit Westminster Cathedral (Roman Catholic, built about 1900, good views from the tower) or Westminster Abbey (dedicated 1065, royal mausoleum, weddings, coronations, etc).

Walking is good but please wear flat shoes and carry a brolly! The weather can make walking a misery but on a fine day it's cool if you are relatively fit. I know it seems pedantic but plan your walk in advance then you'll be more likely to time save. Also, could you combine one of those 'hop on / hop off' bus tickets with your walking so that you can see even more? We always do this in Paris and it helps if the weather turns sour and you can see a whole lot more.

You could also buy a Travelcard which are good for use on any bus or the Tube (underground). Good for if it rains or your legs get a little tired! When it is working OK (most of the time) the Tube is by far the quickest way to get around London -- particularly if you want to see a lot in a short space of time but I would agree that to walk around London is wonderful. I've lived in London for 42 years and I still love it!

Ros

What would your suggestion be for a couple of old seniors who cannot walk too far without resting? We are thinking of the Original Sightseeing Bus - and we do want to take a peek inside Harrod's and maybe Liberty! Any meal recommendations on the Ho Ho route?

Thanks,

Dot

Archived