Planning the trip LOVE it or HATE it!?!?

Young cruiser

Love it or Hate it?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Love it or Hate it?

• I LOVE it...almost as much as the vacation!!
    • Don't mind...but spend very little time planning
    • I HATE it....I let the TA handle everything
    • No way...someone else does all the planning I am just along for the ride

Even to the point of knowing what to expect in the dining rooms, thanks to reviewers who post menus. Especially good to know: how many ships will be in port on certain days so you can plan your shore excursion/beach visits to avoid the crowds from other ships. We're usually not that schedule driven on a cruise, but it's good to have reliable information when we need to make decisions.

Now I wonder, how did we manage before Cruise Critic came along? :D

I love the planning almost as much as the cruise itself! It seems to lenghten my vacation time. I already have my suitcase out for my next trip in 40 days! I love seeing it out! Lists are made, shopping almost done! Can't wait!!!!

I am not sure if it is because it is my 1st Cruise or what! I too am obsessed with everything about it! My family I am sure thinks I've lost my mind! I keep sending them links to this and that anything regarding our cruise. I can barely contain myself! Soon I will know what all the fuss is about!

Denise

I love the planning stage of a cruise for our cruise last year I started out about 14 months prior check the boards my dh was not excited as he has never cruised and didn't know what to expect. We original planned to go on the Ruby Princess in February 2010 but after talking with my sister and brother-in-law we moved it upto March 2009. So I have been very busy I'm the head person booking and making the hotel arrangements for us and my sister and brother-in-law who are flying in from London. So between checking flights, hotels, Princess board and roll call on cruise critics and send information to my sister, plus my job and training my show dog for an upcoming show I'm very busy. This year my dh is excited and can't wait for the cruise. I'm now waiting on my sister to send me over her choice of shore excursions so when they open up bookings in November we can get booked.

Only 6 more months until we are on our way to Fort Lauderdale.

Christine

I too love the planning stage. It makes the vacation seem alot longer, and gives me something to look forward to. As soon as I book a cruise, the folder comes out, a separate page for each port, and the research begins. I used to go to the library and bookstores, but with the internet, everything is now at my fingertips. Everyone makes fun of my planning habits, especially DH & DD. But they love joining me on those trips anyways:D I even have friends calling me to ask me if I have a "file" on a particular port, because they know how thorough I am!

• 3 weeks later...

One of the first things I do is check to see if there is an Insight Guide available for the countries I plan to see. They are the most beautiful

books, with incredible photography and I always want one, anyway, as a

momento of a trip. They are published in Singapore and, often, I can find

them on Amazon, used or like new, for a very reasonable price. I get

the large edition for my library at home, then I may buy a smaller edition

for the trip. The are wonderful for information on the history and culture

of a country - not as much for specific hotel or restaurant info...but,

once you've seen one, you want them all. I have them for places I've

been and for my future dream trips. They are treasure I will never

discard. Spectacular photography.

• 2 months later...
Hello All!!

I am planning my next cruise ( #2 !!!) I have realized...or rather been told...I am obsessed!!!!;) I enjoy the planning, checking, and re-checking rates, researching ports, and making endless note cards about ALL of our options, and FINALLY BOOKING!!! Don't get me wrong once I am ON vacation all planning goes out the window...but I have to have everything in order before I leave.

Do you enjoy planning your vacations? (cruise or land) What part gives you the biggest thrill? Just Looking? Booking? Finding the perfect little thing to pack or bring along? Joining a Roll Call? Booking excursions?

I would love to hear what you enjoy most (or least) about planning.

LOVE IT! Anticipation is 99% of the fun!

Hi -

Love to plan! The cruise, the shore excursions, researching the ports of call, organizing, packing - everything. To mean a little planning can mean the difference between a good vacation and a great vacation.

My family always laughs at me but also look to make sure I have planned everything. They say the vacations I have planned have been the most fun and memorable.

That is not to say I am a minute to minute scheduler. But a little planning, flexibility, and a little knowledge of the area goes a long way in making the vacation more memorable.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, young cruiser...you and I are cut from the same obsessed cloth! And I bet we get the same ribbing from those who fail to understand that the PLANNING is part of the VACATION!. We vicariously live our vacations for months before ACTUALLY experiencing them. As cruise gal said, it makes our vacations seem LONGER!

We've already decided (not yet booked) our 2010 vacation. We'll book it while on our 2009 vacation in a couple of weeks, to get the NextCruise perks from Royal Caribbean. My son graduates from high school in 2011 and wants a cruise for his graduation gift. (That's what I did for his older sister.) I'm already considering posibilities for THAT cruise, which is TWO YEARS in the future!

And for those people who insist it's more fiscally responsible to book a last-minute cruise, I have a GREAT travel agent who negotiated us the lower price when costs dropped, so booking early was a WIN/WIN for us!!

There is NO BETTER vacation than cruising!!!

Archived