Which Ship & Itinerary for Mayan Ruins?

sunluva7

I'm planning a graduation cruise for 2 daughters next summer. The only thing special they have requested are to see Mayan ruins. With that in mind, I am looking at three itineraries:

5-day Fantasy from New Orleans (Progreso, Cozumel);

7-day Glory from Miami (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Naussau); and

7-day Legend from Tampa (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan).

Having been on the Imagination, I know Fantasy is a smaller, older ship, and we would have the Tulum excursion in Cozumel or the ruins in Progreso to pick from. I've heard the ruins in Progreso are pretty spectacular. If we can swing it, however, we'd like to try a 7-day on a bigger ship, and both Glory and Legend go to Belize and Cozumel.

I've never sailed out of Tampa or New Orleans - what is the port experience like?

Where are the not-to-be-missed ruins? Belize? Cozumel? Progreso? I have been to Tulum, which was great, but would be willing to experience another.

I realize it is excruciatingly hot in August, but which Mayan excursion would offer the most comfort in the heat, especially for the long day most involve?

So those of you Carnival experts, which ship and itinerary do I go with? I'd appreciate any helpful feedback from anyone who has experience with the Mayan sites on Carnival. Thanks for your help!:)

#1- The Glory sails out of Port Canaveral not Miami.

But that being said, we just got back from the Glory. Did the ruins in Belize. They are not to be missed. 11 buildings on site. Tons of mounds still covered. The 130 ft El Castillo that they let you climb.

Plus you get to see the entire country of Belize by air conditioned bus.

The heat will be bad. It was 95 in May

Also keep in mind that the Fantasy is probably going to revert back to Costa Maya instead of Progreso.

The Lamanai ruins in Belize were great. Chitzin Itza (Progreso) is also a good choice.

Dave

In Costa Maya we did the Chacchoben mayan ruins tour. They ran out of money to uncover the ruins, so unlike others, there is a lot still covered by jungle and not "perfect" looking. It was a good tour.

About an hour bus ride to the ruins from port.

There was a $10 fee if you wanted to videotape, but free for photos.

It was very humid when we were there, bring lots of water. DH didn't make the last temple, he was overheated.

There are no pavered paths through the jungle covered area, and steps up to the last temple area. (just in case any less mobile folks are considering going).

Through the Progreso stop, you can head to Chichen-Itzza....which is the pyramid shaped ruins...typically what most people envision. Its been named one of the wonders of the world. We are glad we did it..

As far as heat...they are all going to be HOT in August :( . Take lots of water and dress accordingly.

We are going on the Glory in 3 weeks and I did the same kind of research. We wanted to get the best Mayan ruin experience without overheating!

I did much research and found that Tulum is great, but has been very commercialized in recent years. You can't do a lot of climbing and it is all open-air (i.e., hot and sunny).

There are 3 great sites in Belize. Altun-Ha, Lamanai, and Xunitach (sp?). Altun Ha is described by some on this board as small and hard to get to. Xun.. is a recreated site (not original buildings). Lamanai is what we chose. There are a number of different operators: ecotours belize dot com, and some others that will take you there. It is a bus ride, boat ride and a tree filled area, so we are hoping for some shade.

If you go to the ports of call boards, you will find a lot of info there.

Hope this helps. I will let you know when we return in July whether we made the right decision!!!

We were on the Legend last week. We booked it specifically to go to Lamanai while in Belize. Our itinerary ended up changing due to a tropical storm so the days were switched and we had 1 less hour in Belize which resulted in our not being able to go to Lamanai. They didn't think they'd get us back to the ship in time. We were really bummed about it but they did offer to take us to Altun Ha (which was much cheaper than Lamanai so they refunded us the difference) and we had a great time and loved the ruins. We could climb to the top of them and see out for miles. It was one of the many highlights of the cruise. There is lots of shade there and you don't have to walk far at all to get to the ruins.

We did the Glory WEstern last summer and saw the Altun Ha ruins in Belize. As some have stated, these were some of the smaller ones, but it was still a great excursion for us. One of the excursions offered includes a boat ride back down the river.

The trip started out on an air conditioned bus, that we rode for quite a while, but the guides kept it interesting for us. Once we got there, there were restrooms and vendors and just a short walk to the ruins. We did get to the top of two of them, including the one on the left in the picture below. We then had a layover at a resort on the river and took a boat ride, to see wildlife, back to the harbor. The boat had 3 250 hp motors, so we made really good time. According to my family, this was the most fun they had on the whole trip.

l_0eaa265b76f8ae1ad1f47c1c7f9e0cc0.jpg

Agree that Altun Ha is pretty easy access. For someone very interested in this sort of thing, it may not be the best choice. We did the River Wallace part first, had a fairly long stop at the cafe/vendors next to the river, and by the time we got to the ruins, we didn't spend all that much time there. Just a quick "speech" by the guide followed by an opportunity to climb the ruin shown in the photo above (great shot BTW!)

Also agree that Chacchoben is not so easy access. The site is a bit of a walk from the parking and there is a fair amount of walking, and some of it is over uneven ground. The good news is, though, that it's partly shaded!

We had a really good experience at Dzibultchun (sp?) during our stop in Progresso. Took a taxi on our own, and when we got there, hired a guide. He was very knowledgable and informative. The site is pretty close to the parking lot, and it is even ground. The site is fairly compact. It lacks the "wow" factor of some of the larger sites, but it is still very interesting. No shade, though!

Whatever you decide, enjoy! :)

Also keep in mind that the Fantasy is probably going to revert back to Costa Maya instead of Progreso.

The Lamanai ruins in Belize were great. Chitzin Itza (Progreso) is also a good choice.

Dave

Wow - I didn't expect such a great response. Thanks everyone.:)

So far Progresso and Belize get my vote for the best ruins.

Interesting. The itinerary for next summer on Fantasy does indicate Progreso. What makes you say they will be changing to Costa Maya? Would they be dropping Progreso all together from their ports of call?

We are going on the Glory in 3 weeks and I did the same kind of research. We wanted to get the best Mayan ruin experience without overheating!

I did much research and found that Tulum is great, but has been very commercialized in recent years. You can't do a lot of climbing and it is all open-air (i.e., hot and sunny).

There are 3 great sites in Belize. Altun-Ha, Lamanai, and Xunitach (sp?). Altun Ha is described by some on this board as small and hard to get to. Xun.. is a recreated site (not original buildings). Lamanai is what we chose. There are a number of different operators: ecotours belize dot com, and some others that will take you there. It is a bus ride, boat ride and a tree filled area, so we are hoping for some shade.

If you go to the ports of call boards, you will find a lot of info there.

Hope this helps. I will let you know when we return in July whether we made the right decision!!!

Thanks for your help. Is Lamanai a ship excursion or are you doing an independent tour? I didn't see it on Carnival's excursion list for Belize.

Even though I prefer independent tours, I hesitate to take one in this case. The last time we were in Belize, I booked an independent snorkeling excursion. However, because the ship was late docking and clearing customs, the tour left without us.:( My family will never forgive me if it happens a second time.

We visited the Chacchoben ruins when we docked in Costa Maya in February 2007. In addition to visiting the ruins, we visited Chacchoben village for lunch with a family, both booked through David and Ivan. I don't know when they will be resuming these tours, since Costa Maya hasn't yet reopened, but both the ruins and the visit to the village were a great experience for my family. Here's the excerpt from my CC review:

Costa Maya: Based on what we read on the “Ports of call” board, we booked the “Mayan Experience” tour with David and Ivan’s “The Native Choice” company. This tour is fantastic! The first part of the tour takes you to the Chacchoben ruins, about a 45 minute ride from Costa Maya. Along the way, Ivan gave us some of the history of the state of Quintana Roo and some of the villages we’d be passing along the way. At the ruins, Ivan gave a very personalized talk about what life would have been like at Chacchoben, as well as pointing out some of the native plants and their uses. My oldest son was fascinated by the tour; the younger ones loved the ruins, if not the talks. After visiting the ruins, about half the group returned to Mahajual, while the rest of us journeyed to the modern-day village of Chacchoben for a pre-Hispanic lunch with a Maya family. Our oldest son won an ear-to-ear smile from the grandmother when he greeted her with “Hola – Cómo está?” Four years of Spanish started paying off for him. Grandmother demonstrated how to make tortillas just right, so they would puff up when placed on a flat stone over a fire; the best tortillas any of us ever had. Making tortillas isn’t easy, as we learned. Lunch was a stewed chicken with rice and vegetables, a version of “Mayan sushi,” and a variety of fruits, accompanied by an iced tea made from the hibiscus flower. After lunch, two family members demonstrated traditional dances and then gave us a tour of their homestead. If you’re worried about “Montezuma’s Revenge” taking such a tour, everything is prepared with purified water. Don’t be afraid to try it.

I have pictures posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/558933896aVbpxD?start=24 (pages 3-5).

Wow - I didn't expect such a great response. Thanks everyone.:)

So far Progresso and Belize get my vote for the best ruins.

Interesting. The itinerary for next summer on Fantasy does indicate Progreso. What makes you say they will be changing to Costa Maya? Would they be dropping Progreso all together from their ports of call?

Costa Maya was a regular stop for the Fantasy until last year when the port was devasted by a hurricane.

In Costa Maya we did the Chacchoben mayan ruins tour. They ran out of money to uncover the ruins, so unlike others, there is a lot still covered by jungle and not "perfect" looking. It was a good tour.

About an hour bus ride to the ruins from port.

There was a $10 fee if you wanted to videotape, but free for photos.

It was very humid when we were there, bring lots of water. DH didn't make the last temple, he was overheated.

There are no pavered paths through the jungle covered area, and steps up to the last temple area. (just in case any less mobile folks are considering going).

I recommend Chacchoben also. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Our tour guide had made up map/information packets for us ($5/ea), which were nice and made for a good souovenir. My niece was able to use is for a presentation in school along with the pictures we had taken of her at some of the sites depicted in the map.

For the less mobile folks, the ground is very uneven and the are quite a few dips you will step in which you cannot see ahead of time. Yes there are a lot of steps leading up to the temple, but you do not have to climb them and can wait at the bottom for your group. I had knee surgery 6 months before our trip and I elected to wait at the bottom rather than risk the climb.

We visited the Chacchoben ruins when we docked in Costa Maya in February 2007. In addition to visiting the ruins, we visited Chacchoben village for lunch with a family, both booked through David and Ivan. I don't know when they will be resuming these tours, since Costa Maya hasn't yet reopened, but both the ruins and the visit to the village were a great experience for my family. Here's the excerpt from my CC review:

Costa Maya: Based on what we read on the “Ports of call” board, we booked the “Mayan Experience” tour with David and Ivan’s “The Native Choice” company. This tour is fantastic! The first part of the tour takes you to the Chacchoben ruins, about a 45 minute ride from Costa Maya. Along the way, Ivan gave us some of the history of the state of Quintana Roo and some of the villages we’d be passing along the way. At the ruins, Ivan gave a very personalized talk about what life would have been like at Chacchoben, as well as pointing out some of the native plants and their uses. My oldest son was fascinated by the tour; the younger ones loved the ruins, if not the talks. After visiting the ruins, about half the group returned to Mahajual, while the rest of us journeyed to the modern-day village of Chacchoben for a pre-Hispanic lunch with a Maya family. Our oldest son won an ear-to-ear smile from the grandmother when he greeted her with “Hola – Cómo está?” Four years of Spanish started paying off for him. Grandmother demonstrated how to make tortillas just right, so they would puff up when placed on a flat stone over a fire; the best tortillas any of us ever had. Making tortillas isn’t easy, as we learned. Lunch was a stewed chicken with rice and vegetables, a version of “Mayan sushi,” and a variety of fruits, accompanied by an iced tea made from the hibiscus flower. After lunch, two family members demonstrated traditional dances and then gave us a tour of their homestead. If you’re worried about “Montezuma’s Revenge” taking such a tour, everything is prepared with purified water. Don’t be afraid to try it.

I have pictures posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/558933896aVbpxD?start=24 (pages 3-5).

Wow - thanks for the great review of your Mayan experience. Great photos, too.:D You must have had an incredible time. That's exactly what I'm looking for, something a little more up close and personal. I'm definitely going to re-think that ship excursion...:)

We visited Tulum from Cozumel last October and it took the whole day! We got off the Conquest, and boarded a ferry for a one hour ride to Playa Del Carmen (I think). Then it was a one hour bus ride to the ruins with a mandated stop along the way for shopping. We were at the ruins for about two hours and then the 1 hour bus and 1 hour ferry.

It was VERY hot* and there was VERY LITTLE shade there. All in all, I would rather have spent the day in Cozumel and waited for them to rebuild the dock in Costa Maya.

I'm from PHoenix area and I can take the heat, but it was HOT.

We are doing the independent tour in July, I will let you know. So far, they have been great about personal responses to email, etc. If you have questions, email them at cavetubing at yahoo dot com. If you book as your own group, they will likely wait for you. At least that is what they have told us, but we are a group of 8.

Check back with me after July 20th. Or email me at realgirlsride@yahoo.com

I'm planning a graduation cruise for 2 daughters next summer. The only thing special they have requested are to see Mayan ruins. With that in mind, I am looking at three itineraries:

5-day Fantasy from New Orleans (Progreso, Cozumel);

7-day Glory from Miami (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Naussau); and

7-day Legend from Tampa (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan).

Having been on the Imagination, I know Fantasy is a smaller, older ship, and we would have the Tulum excursion in Cozumel or the ruins in Progreso to pick from. I've heard the ruins in Progreso are pretty spectacular. If we can swing it, however, we'd like to try a 7-day on a bigger ship, and both Glory and Legend go to Belize and Cozumel.

I've never sailed out of Tampa or New Orleans - what is the port experience like?

Where are the not-to-be-missed ruins? Belize? Cozumel? Progreso? I have been to Tulum, which was great, but would be willing to experience another.

I realize it is excruciatingly hot in August, but which Mayan excursion would offer the most comfort in the heat, especially for the long day most involve?

So those of you Carnival experts, which ship and itinerary do I go with? I'd appreciate any helpful feedback from anyone who has experience with the Mayan sites on Carnival. Thanks for your help!:)

Last year we went to Tulum on the Enchantment and this year we went to Chichen Itza on the Ecstasty. Both are beautiful, but Chichen Itza is better because the pyramid is enormous. The excursions are hard either because you can sleep on the way there and back. You're only at either ruins maybe two hours at the most even though they're all day excursions. You will enjoy both and if I where you I would pick the Glory cruise. Finally, it can be expensive to do both excursions on one cruise.:)

We visited Tulum from Cozumel last October and it took the whole day! We got off the Conquest, and boarded a ferry for a one hour ride to Playa Del Carmen (I think). Then it was a one hour bus ride to the ruins with a mandated stop along the way for shopping. We were at the ruins for about two hours and then the 1 hour bus and 1 hour ferry.

It was VERY hot* and there was VERY LITTLE shade there. All in all, I would rather have spent the day in Cozumel and waited for them to rebuild the dock in Costa Maya.

I'm from PHoenix area and I can take the heat, but it was HOT.

I totally agree. Husband and I did Tulum back in '02, in August, and it was EXTREMELY Hot. I remember a couple of shady spots, and that's where most people congregated - 20 bodies crowded together under the shade of a small tree. Funny when you think about it.;) It was a great experience, but as you said, it was trip getting there and very exhausting because of the heat. The one plus, though, was a beach nearby where you could go for a swim before heading back.:) I think I will look for a site in the jungle next time!

Archived