Questions regarding Adventure Ocean

Hello, this fall we are going on 3 cruises one after the other, Splendour of the Seas, Celebrity Summit and then a transatlantic back to the states on the Voyager of the Seas. This is our first time on both RCCL and Celebrity and we are very excited!

This is probably the only time that we will do Europe (we just did a quick TA and loved it, but went there and came straight home). Because we will probably not be back we decided to do all three cruises so we can see as much as we can. With the cost of flights, the cruises, a few days pre-cruise etc... we are trying to keep the costs down as much as possible for the ports.

We had hoped to do as many shared private tours as we could along with some DIY ports but recently read something that concerned me about the Fun Factory hours. On Celebrity they don't open until 9:00 unless you are on a Ship's Tour, then it will open half an our before the first shore excursion. For anone else wanting to do a private tour or a DIY they have to hire in room sitters for a minimum of three hours. My first and biggest concern is that it makes me uncomfortable to have her babysat alone rather than in a group situation, and the other thing is the expense. On Carnival they open for everyone one half hour before.

We have already joined up with others on two private tours. And certainly will not do anymore if this is the case with RCCL as well as we would not bring our five year old on a shared tour as she would not enjoy them and therefore I fear it would make it difficult for everyone else to enjoy it the same way. My daughter is not intersted in museums or ruins or even shopping I'm afraid. I went on to the RCCL website and it reads 30 minutes prior to first shore excursion so I am assuming that it is the same thing. We are traveling in November so there will be very few children on board or I might have hoped to share some tours with other parents so as we would all be wanting the same sort of things! My question is whether or not anyone has found a way around this? Not the paying part... but is there any hope that I can convince them to let her go to the Aquanauts and pay the fee there?

As I am already committed to the other two tours I also would like to ask, if I am going to be doing the in room sitting (OMG) whether or not anyone has done this and had any reason to regret/fear this? I know I probably sound ridiculous but I'm sure you've all heard the horror stories about what was on the news last fall! I may just pay our 300 Euros and not go. Please, won't someone reassure me that there is another answer without being harsh with me.:o

I don't think you have anything to worry about--the cruiselines could be sued to bancruptcy if their employees did something untoward! I can't imagine ANY 5 yo would enjoy any kind of sightseeing tour---that's just not a 5 yo thing! Does your ship even HAVE individual babysitting that early???

If so, I'd let the babysitter take the child to the kid's program. If that's not possible, I'd cancel that tour---I certainly wouldn't take a child that young.

Is it just me or is anyone not concerned about leaving such a young child on a ship while you are off on a private excursion where you cannot be reached in case of emergency? Some of these tours in Europe can be quite lengthy - what happens if it gets delayed and you don't make it back to the ship? I might (just might) be willing to leave a child on board if I were going on shore to walk around and shop for an hour, but never for a tour.

Is it just me or is anyone not concerned about leaving such a young child on a ship while you are off on a private excursion where you cannot be reached in case of emergency? Some of these tours in Europe can be quite lengthy - what happens if it gets delayed and you don't make it back to the ship? I might (just might) be willing to leave a child on board if I were going on shore to walk around and shop for an hour, but never for a tour.

While I would be reasonably sure my child would be in good hands with which ever child care option the cruise line has to offer, in room, or Kids club. I would not be comfortable with leaving the ship without him, especially on a DIY excursion. At least with a ship sponsored excursion, they will more than likely wait for you, although I believe I have read on CC that this is not a guarantee.

We considered leaving him on board with my parents while in Bermuda, but even that gave us uneasy feelings. While we trust him with my parents completely, I would not want him to have to deal with not knowing where we are, if we were to miss the ship. And that was with a guarente of 1 night worst case senario, since we sould have done it the day we were in Hamilton leaving to arrive St. George that following morning.(possibly the other way around.)

I also would not recommend the in room Baby sitting for this purpose either. While as I said, I sure her safety would not be a problem, you have to consider that the baby sitter, probably is not going to be alllowed to let her leave the room, so she would be stuck in the cabin the enitire time you are out. Like most people say, all they do in the cabin is sleep and change. Not a very fun day at port for your daughter.

Enjoy your cruise, but hopefully you can find something you will all enjoy.

Happy Cruising,

David

Thank you both for your replies! I am actually taking both into account. Our first tour is in Kusadasi and it is only four hours and we have no risk of not getting back on time and we will ask for the guide's cell phone number!

The second one is a much longer tour from Naples and reading Geri's post made my blood run cold! (And to think that I always thought that was just an expression.) That tour is of Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast and it is one that I don't think my daughter will mind. I have already written the other couple to ask them if they would consider allowing her to come along with the understanding that at any time she was to become bored that one of us would quietly take her outside/aside and entertain her so that she in no way interupts or shortens any stop! If not we'll just have to hopefully find someone else to take our spot.

I guess the other ports we will just do the DIY thing and then that way we will see what works for her only. I would have been in such a panic as we got close to sail time every tour! I don't know how I didn't think of this? We've only ever done southern tours before, or Alaska and she either went with us or we were just right in the port shopping briefly (with Nana still on the ship, who is not coming) or a couple of times short 2 or three hour tours first thing in the morning so that we would be back early enough to spend the rest of the day on the beach as a family.

Thank you both for your quick replies. While I might have sensed a little bit of sarcasm in your reply Geri, I still appreciate the wake up! :)

While I would be reasonably sure my child would be in good hands with which ever child care option the cruise line has to offer, in room, or Kids club. I would not be comfortable with leaving the ship without him, especially on a DIY excursion. At least with a ship sponsored excursion, they will more than likely wait for you, although I believe I have read on CC that this is not a guarantee.

We considered leaving him on board with my parents while in Bermuda, but even that gave us uneasy feelings. While we trust him with my parents completely, I would not want him to have to deal with not knowing where we are, if we were to miss the ship. And that was with a guarente of 1 night worst case senario, since we sould have done it the day we were in Hamilton leaving to arrive St. George that following morning.(possibly the other way around.)

I also would not recommend the in room Baby sitting for this purpose either. While as I said, I sure her safety would not be a problem, you have to consider that the baby sitter, probably is not going to be alllowed to let her leave the room, so she would be stuck in the cabin the enitire time you are out. Like most people say, all they do in the cabin is sleep and change. Not a very fun day at port for your daughter.

Enjoy your cruise, but hopefully you can find something you will all enjoy.

Happy Cruising,

David

Thank you David,

I did not see your post before I posted mine as I got a phone call in the middle of typing mine. But yours is dead on. I appreciate all that you have said! And the gentle way you have said it! :) The only one we won't be taking her on is the 4 hour to Ephesus, and we are due back on the ship before noon and do not leave until 6:00. I have called RCCL and they said they will take her to the Kids Group as long as I realize I still pay. No problem!!!! Thanks again!

:eek: Nope...not just you. That's the first thing I thought of when I read the post. I'd never consider leaving my child on the ship for an excursion. No way, no how, and no sarcasm intended. No one ever intends to be late...and no one ever plans an accident...but both happen regularly. Hope you can work something out that is best for all of you. Enjoy the cruises...sounds like a wonderful trip!!

Just got off a 12 night Baltic cruise on the Jewel. Traveled with my 4 year old daughter. She did great on ALL of the tours... She zoned out a few times, fell asleep on the bus, but generally really got into the sights. The two days in St. Petersburg (on a private tour - just the four of us, with the Guide and Driver) were GREAT!!! Got to see things in our time and schedule. You will be surprised, if you present things the right way. I must also say that our Combi stroller got a work out. :)

As for leaving your child on board. We actually did... The day in Estonia is short, and we asked her if she wanted to stay in the Adventure Ocean club, she said yes. We left our cell phone number and we went on our way. She had a blast - heck she even got to meet the Captain, reminding everyone we tell about the cruise. The point is that with the staff to kid ratio at 2 kids per counselor, she was VERY well looked after. Heck in her daycare the ratio is 15 to one.

Will we do it again...? such a long itinerary in such a DESTINATION rich area (Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg and Helsinki), probably not. But I have no regrets, about the trip we took. We have memories that will last a lifetime, well as long as the photos last... :)

Take the trip, enjoy the tours, and be surprised when your five-year old enjoys every minute.

BTW - as for RCCL and the opening times of the Adventure Ocean... At no point did the counselors ask if we were on a ship sponsored tour when we left her the day in Estonia. We dropped her off around 7ish, told them that we were going into the city (again left our cell number) and went on our way.

Go on the cruise!!!!

Archived