Anyone Scrapbook their trips?

Tricia

Thanks for the link, your album is fabulous. Loved the color combinations you used. I really think I need to learn more about this digital scrapbooking

Thanks. If I can get this Liberty one done within the next week - which is my goal - then I will upload that one too.

Someone was asking about Disney stuff. Creative Memories has just launched several Disney digital kits - including - Cars, Hannah Montana, Princesses and Pooh - all so cute!

Um....welll.....I have the pictures printed, and the book and a bunch of stickers and decorative stamps and my souvenirs from the cruise. Sand from the Bahamas (that stuck in my shoes and to my legs).

But I haven't actually DONE anything yet. :o

There's no rush, tho, right? I mean, it's not like it's been 2 YEARS. yet. :D

Love all the digital scrapbooks that have been shared here! :cool:

Just completed a traditional scrapbook. I'm not a scrapbooker but visited my parents for a week and my mom is bigtime into it so she has all the supplies and I scrapbooked our Med cruise from last year. Still need to do the journaling though. :o

I really like the idea of digital scrapbooking. Where do you get print-outs of the 12"X12" pages once completed?

I'm going to use Picaboo to make a photo book of our upcoming Alaska cruise in August. The software is free - http://www.picaboo.com - and you can either share your finished book on-line or have one printed. I had a small test book printed and was very pleased with the quality - hard cover and very good quality paper. I've checked out most of the photo book sites and for me Picaboo has everything I want - lots of page layouts and LOTS of backgrounds (even your photos can be used as backgrounds). The web site has instructions on how to use a traditional scrapbooking program to make your pages and then use them in Picaboo.

Love all the digital scrapbooks that have been shared here! :cool:

Just completed a traditional scrapbook. I'm not a scrapbooker but visited my parents for a week and my mom is bigtime into it so she has all the supplies and I scrapbooked our Med cruise from last year. Still need to do the journaling though. :o

I really like the idea of digital scrapbooking. Where do you get print-outs of the 12"X12" pages once completed?

If you're going to do a lot of digital scrapbooking (or try hybrid which is digital but you then add a ribbon, stamp or sticker after printing etc) you can invest in a wide format printer. Epson makes 2 that print borderless 12 x 12. The older one (the 1400 model) being relatively reasonable at a little under 300 dollars. I had a Canon wide format for my artwork for years but it didn't print borderless 12 x 12 (I got into scrapbooking after I bought it!) so I just bought the cheaper Epson which does the borderless 12 x 12 and still can do 13 x 19. I can't wait to get into designing and printing my own background paper.

If you're going to do a lot of digital scrapbooking (or try hybrid which is digital but you then add a ribbon, stamp or sticker after printing etc) you can invest in a wide format printer. Epson makes 2 that print borderless 12 x 12. The older one (the 1400 model) being relatively reasonable at a little under 300 dollars. I had a Canon wide format for my artwork for years but it didn't print borderless 12 x 12 (I got into scrapbooking after I bought it!) so I just bought the cheaper Epson which does the borderless 12 x 12 and still can do 13 x 19. I can't wait to get into designing and printing my own background paper.
Cool! I didn't even know they made printers that did 12X12. And borderless, no less! Will have to look into it. Thanks!

I'm afraid I'll need to get a new computer before I even look into digital scrapbooking. My poor ol' laptop is on it's last legs and I'm sure it couldn't handle any graphic-intensive programs. So it may be a while before I can play with it. :(

Also, thanks for the tip about hybrid scrapbookink. I do like the textures and such of traditional scrapbooking so this sounds like a happy medium. :cool:

Cool! I didn't even know they made printers that did 12X12. And borderless, no less! Will have to look into it. Thanks!

I'm afraid I'll need to get a new computer before I even look into digital scrapbooking. My poor ol' laptop is on it's last legs and I'm sure it couldn't handle any graphic-intensive programs. So it may be a while before I can play with it. :(

Also, thanks for the tip about hybrid scrapbookink. I do like the textures and such of traditional scrapbooking so this sounds like a happy medium. :cool:

I upload 12x12 pages to Costco and have them printed there. I think its about $3.99 per page - which is worth it to me right now, vs looking at getting another printer.

If you are new into digital scrapbooking remember to take some pictures with the thought of using them as background "paper", borders, and such.

For example, I took some relative closeups of a column top at Olympia. In my photo editing software, I cropped the photo to my liking and to match the ratio of the dimensions of my page. Then I sepia-toned it and blurred it and ran the result through the "impressionist" filter. Stretched to 8.5x11"* it was an ideal background paper for our Olympia pages.

Similarly an extreme blow-up of an inticrate carving at the Acropolis became a really cool border on my Acropolis pages - just some creative cropping, then a mirror image copy butted up against it. I have a 12.5 Megapixel camera so extreme blow ups work well for me (the camera salesman tried to 'down sell' me to an 8MP, but agreed when I showed him some of the things I do that I could really take advantage of the higher level of detail).

I have fun puttering around and use whatever photo editing and scrapbooking software I can find -- combine them to get the effect I want.

*(8.5x11" became my preferred page size for this particular album - the Exposure's outlet had 10 misprinted "Greece 2008" leather albums on blow-out clearance in 8.5x11" so since I promised to do a copy of the album for everyone on the trip - that meant 9 total albums - at $5.00 per album for albums that normally retail at $89.00 - 8.5x11" it was! :) )

I also scrapbook the old fashion way. I like the various textures it provides. We have about 10 of our cruises done (with 3 yet to be finished:eek: )

My friend used to be a creative memories consultant but recently stopped. She does, however, still have access to their stuff through another consultant.

DDF: I am in the Chicagoland area. Where are you?

I have some old copies of Paint Shop Pro including version X around here somewhere that would work on XP. Maybe I can try to track down the CD down for you. And you are close enough I could even teach you how to use it :)

You're so kind! I would love to sign up for lessons with you, lol, but I know realistically the last thing I need to do is add another distraction right now. Maybe after this whole "moving into a new house/wedding/honeymoon thing" is over, haha. (Though don't tell me you're in Seminole Co., the temptation would be far too great!)

You're so kind! I would love to sign up for lessons with you, lol, but I know realistically the last thing I need to do is add another distraction right now. Maybe after this whole "moving into a new house/wedding/honeymoon thing" is over, haha. (Though don't tell me you're in Seminole Co., the temptation would be far too great!)

I'm not in Seminole County but just over the St John's river bridge so not far at all :)

When all your busy time is done (I remember the wedding/honeymoon/new house hoopla!) send me an email at francesca @ david-and-francesca dot com and I'd be happy to introduce you to scrapping. We could make your first project your wedding book. :)

I created a lifejacket and life preserver for use in my next book and thought I'd share with my fellow junkies. I'm posting shrunk down JPGs here but I'll provide a link for the PNG files at 300dpi.

life_preserver.jpg

lifejacket.jpg

http://www.david-and-francesca.com/images/cruise_stuff/lifejacket.png

http://www.david-and-francesca.com/images/cruise_stuff/life_preserver.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am just starting to scrapbook and have a few vacations I would like to do, counting our recent AK cruise. I never thought of doing digital scrapbooking. I have Photoshop for a Web design image editing so I will give this a go. I also have a Cricut machine to use. Thanks for the ideas. I am looking for some Alaska themed scrapbooking items. I picked up some in Alaska but no where near what I will need. DH took over 400 pictures and even with filtering some out there will still be alot of pages to do. There was a thread about some sites that carry these but I can't find it now. Any ideas of sites that have some available?

Sindee

I also scrapbook our cruises. I pick up every brochure that I come into contact with. I bring a large ziplock bag and stash everything into it. I also pickup the local travel coupon books from every Island or stop we make. When we get home, The brochures are great to cut out items and use in your book.

I am just starting to scrapbook and have a few vacations I would like to do, counting our recent AK cruise. I never thought of doing digital scrapbooking. I have Photoshop for a Web design image editing so I will give this a go. I also have a Cricut machine to use. Thanks for the ideas. I am looking for some Alaska themed scrapbooking items. I picked up some in Alaska but no where near what I will need. DH took over 400 pictures and even with filtering some out there will still be alot of pages to do. There was a thread about some sites that carry these but I can't find it now. Any ideas of sites that have some available?

Sindee

I have found alot of stuff for trips and kids sports at http://www.scrapyourtrip.com

I've scrapped 2 cruises so far and have 2 more to go. Check out scrapbook.com and go to the gallery. I'll post mine there this weekend so you can see them. search the gallery for 'cruise' and I'm "omichele". this is a great site for ideas. also check scrapyourtrip.com. they specialize in paper and embelishments for trips. My Royal Caribbean trip had a scrapbook class on board, unfortunately it was the last day. But I did get some great die-cuts and layout ideas. I just got back from a Carnival and they had a scrapbook class: they wanted you to buy their book, their kit, their photos, and have your photos developed on board. The woman running it was not a scrapbooker! she didn't know what die cuts were and was only using glitter (yuk) and stickers. Very disappointing.

I'm going to use my Cricut and the Mickey and Friends cart to precut some diecuts for our upcoming cruise. I love the icons with Donald's boat. And I have heard great things about scrapyourtrip.com, so I will be placing an order when we return. For the Alaska cruise I bought a lot when we were in Alaska, and then looked for items that were related to the event/place (ie mountains, kayaks,etc) rather than looking for Alaska in particular.

I really enjoyed reading through this thread--something new to talk about... I make albums (now takin gup alot of space) with lots of memorabilia & all the ships bulletins... I have not been as creative as what has been shown here or suggested but would love to learn more. I would love to see some more posts with examples--maybe a thread of sharing your best pages would be nice so newbies can get ideas! Thanks so much for sharing!

I just got off Enchatment of the Seas, where they had several scrapbooking classes. We collected lots of die-cuts and great ideas, and I met some really nice people. A couple of us really wanted another class, so the cruise director was asked if it was possible for us to "play" with the materials during bingo and he directed one of his terrific staff to have all of the things for us! Fantastic!

Then I went and bought the big album and book of papers at the photo gallery! Now I have to get going here at home and start scrapping all of our cruises!

Can't wait. Thanks for all the ideas here too!

I make pseudo-scrapbooks of all our cruises, meaning they're really photo albums with some scrapbook elements worked in. They take less time than scrapping, and I'm all about instant gratification! :)

My hint is that I ask our steward for 2 copies of each daily program; one I stash immediately in the front zippered compartment of my suitcase (where I also stash every other souvenir in paper form that I can get my hands on), and the other, I carry around with me... but then I take that used one home with me as well, and cut it up when I'm making my book to use titles, dates, weather, and such to insert on my pages. My "good" programs each go in their own page protectors at the back of the book.

I use tropical-colored 8-1/2 x 11 paper, clear page protectors, and photo safe glue, and put everything in one of the 3-ring binders that have a sleeve on the front in which to insert a cover, which I design in a graphics program.

As I look through my pictures (before pasting them in), I write captions on the computer in a nice font. Then I print all that out and cut them apart (using wavy scissors) and paste them with the pictures.

Archived