Newbie Questions...Any Advice?

Our first cruise is 4/18/04 on the Mariner. We will be driving from South Carolina to Port Canaveral and wonder if it is safe to just get up very early that a.m. and drive down? Is the road construction that bad that we may be delayed for long periods of time? Better to get a hotel the night before or at least drive half way and stop? Also, any ideas on what nights will be formal nights? Our 5th Anniversary is that Saturday coming home, would be nice to celebrate in our spiffy clothes! icon_biggrin.gif

I would get in the night before just to ease your mind, and have a much more stress free vacation. We got into the Tampa the night before our recent cruise, and it was much more relaxing, and we didn't have to worry about flight delays, weather delays, etc.

You never know what could happen on the way the day you sail, and the ship will not wait for you

Nordic Empress 3/2004

I also recommend going down the day before. You don't want to be stressed if you get stuck in traffic, or take a wrong turn.

I started using Priceline for my hotels - several members had recommended it to us. You can get a nice hotel for $35 - $45 for the night.

On a 7-day cruise I believe formal nights are usually the 2nd & 5th night. I might be wrong though, this has just been our experience.

Have a great trip

View my photos at

http://community.webshots.com/user/cuppyb

Voyager of Seas - Canada

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;30;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jewel of Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;1;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 1-3-04

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 10-27-03

Carnival Ecstasy 5-26-03

NCL Sky 5-19-02

I would definitely go down the night before, you never know what could happen. You could have car trouble, get caught in a traffic jam or get lost. Plus you won't be tired the first day of your cruise after a long day of driving. It will be well worth the money for a hotel for one night.

vine.gif

UNTIL I SET SAIL ON THE JEWEL OF THE SEAS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2hulagirls.gif

funny face...where in SC are you from? That might make the difference perhaps. For us it's not a long drive, so we're not leaving until 6am that morning. that gives us plenty of time for any mishaps. have fun and Happy Anniversary!

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

I would go down the day before. South Carolina to Cape Canveral is what about a 6 hour drive. THey will likely begin boarding the ship at 11 am or so. If you stay the night before your vacation will start sooner!!!

If you are coming down I95 there is construction in the Jacksonville area. It didn't slow us down last time (going south) but the traffic going north was backed up for miles and miles and miles.....I guess because of the narrowed lanes, cones, etc there are a fair number of accidents that can slow things down even more than the construction can. I would definitely drive down the night before. That way you are there and can relax and enjoy a nice evening in the Cocoa Beach area. Hotels are reasonable and some will even let you park your car for the duration and shuttle or arrange for a shuttle to the port. In most cases you can stay in a nice hotel for what parking would cost for the week at the pier.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

Drive down the day before if you can. You never know what can tie up traffic. My parents live on the west coast of FL and I often stop to see them for a day or two and then drive across Alligator Alley for FLL or MIA cruise departures the day of the sailing. Under normal circumstances that's about a 2 hour drive. But when I was visiting one year, my relatives drove from MIA to the west coast to visit. On their way home, there was a huge accident on Alligator Alley and they didn't move for more than 3+ hours, then still had the 2 hour drive. If that had been us on the day of a sailing, we would have missed the sailing! Since then I fly into FLL or MIA the day before, take the cruise first then drive across the state to visit family!

7 previous cruises, Hawaii on Legend scheduled May 2004, and Enchantment Oct 2004

Archived