Which Holiday Cruise?

The Holiday's primary port of call is Cozumel but they also alternate a second port of call between Progresso/Merida and Calica.

I have heard that Progresso's water is darker and not really suitable for snorkeling. Dunno about Calica's water clarity.

I have also heard that the Holiday docks in a gravel pit at Calica and like Progresso you have to take a taxi or bus to the sights.

Neither sounds too snazzy to me but for you Holiday lovers which of the two ports of call that I mentioned do you prefer and why?

Now I KNOW you are not going to be booking the Holiday....:eek:

I've not done Progresso, but Calica is a gravel pit and a short taxi ride from Playa del Carmen. Really enjoyed this port. We went to PDC, had a great lunch and just hit the beach for the afternoon. Had, at one time considered leaving the ship in Coz, taking the ferry to PDC and renting a room for the night and catch the ship the next day. Plans got changed, but had this trip gone off, this is what we'd have done.

In Calica you need to either take a tour or grab a cab. For the more adventurous, there are the collectivos, vans that are used as public transportation. You can visit ruins(Tulum is awesome), cenotes, beaches, do the snorkel thing(it is a nice place to snorkel), go to Xcaret Park or go to Playa del Carmen. Playa has gorgeous beaches, great food, shopping and plenty of neat sites. This town is very commercialized and is more of a tourist oriented spot, very similar to Cozumel. The main drawback is you have to take transportation to do anything from Calica. It is not a big deal, however.

Progreso is more "REAL" Mexico. This is a laidback place with neat stores and plenty to see and do. Merida is a colonial style city with some very neat and old architecture. There are tours to several ruins with one of the largest (Chichen Itza) available from this port. It is true that the water here isn't good for snorkeling, but the beaches are nice for loafing, the people friendly and the food is great. Then the $2 beer($1 if you hunt for it) has a big following. You have to take a bus from the ship along one of the longest piers in the world. The ride is free and ends at a small fleamarket just a couple of blocks from Corona Beach and the Malecon.

Both of these places are neat and worth a visit. Just do your research on these boards and Google.

Now I KNOW you are not going to be booking the Holiday....:eek:

I just may..you never know about me! :D

Just in case I'm traumatized by the ship, like the first time, I don't want a port of call to be a disaster as well.

Thanks Clackey. You have been very helpful. I dislike commercialized tourist towns so I may opt for Progresso and just save the snorkeling for Coz. :)

PDC is commercialized, but still nice. Besides the cruise ship, it seems to also be a popular destination vacation spot. I would have no qualms about going to Progresso.

Never know about you?? Guess not after all the trash talking you've done about my favorite bucket of rusty bolts....

Hey KY, found the thread were you wouldn't sail her if it was free :p. Too tired to look tonight but I'll be looking for the thread were you extended an invite to myself and another poster to sail her (I believe at your expense). That invite still open :confused: :p :rolleyes: :D

The Holiday's primary port of call is Cozumel but they also alternate a second port of call between Progresso/Merida and Calica.

I have heard that Progresso's water is darker and not really suitable for snorkeling. Dunno about Calica's water clarity.

I have also heard that the Holiday docks in a gravel pit at Calica and like Progresso you have to take a taxi or bus to the sights.

Neither sounds too snazzy to me but for you Holiday lovers which of the two ports of call that I mentioned do you prefer and why?

I thought for a moment that it was April Fools Day!!!! KY slumming on Holiday? :rolleyes:

Ok, in the spirit of being cordial, Ill tell you what I know. We went to Calica on Fascination. Yes, the pier is at a gravel quarry. No, there is nothing there. You do have to taxi to Playa Del Carmen to be in civilization. The water is nice and clear, just like whats in Cozumel. I really liked the port, aside form the taxi ride. It was less crowded and less run down that Coz.

I thought for a moment that it was April Fools Day!!!! KY slumming on Holiday? :rolleyes:

Ok, in the spirit of being cordial, Ill tell you what I know. We went to Calica on Fascination. Yes, the pier is at a gravel quarry. No, there is nothing there. You do have to taxi to Playa Del Carmen to be in civilization. The water is nice and clear, just like whats in Cozumel. I really liked the port, aside form the taxi ride. It was less crowded and less run down that Coz.

I was thinking someone else got on KY's computer and posting, can't be KY.

KY you bored tonight?

PDC is nicely laid out and very, very clean, especially in the 5th Avenue area. Lots of places for good food, drink, shopping, etc and only a couple of blocks from the beautiful beach.

No, I'm fine!

I was thinking about a quick getaway and I found enough change between the cushions of my sofa for a Holiday cruise so I also started thinking that maybe I would give her a second chance and take a more objective effort to see what you Holiday fans see in such a....ah...ah....cruise vessel.

I just may..you never know about me! :D

Just in case I'm traumatized by the ship, like the first time, I don't want a port of call to be a disaster as well.

Thanks Clackey. You have been very helpful. I dislike commercialized tourist towns so I may opt for Progresso and just save the snorkeling for Coz. :)

Since you hate the Holiday so much why dont you take a 5 day on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. It visits both Progresso and Cozumel and runs around the same price as the Holiday cruises.

He's just pulling our leg and sitting back watching folks try to give me ideas and laughing his head off.

I agree. If he found ANYTHING that he liked about it, he would have to eat crow, and I just don't see that happening.:rolleyes:

I agree. If he found ANYTHING that he liked about it, he would have to eat crow, and I just don't see that happening.:rolleyes:

Now thats not very nice, Ala-Kat.

If I saw the Holiday in a different light I would be man enough to acknowledge the improvement... there could have been cosmetic changes in the meantime and a better crowd of people aboard as well.

The first time I was expecting a luxury cruise aboard a classy vessel and when the Holiday failed to live up to my expectations I was disappointed. The second time I won't be expecting much.

My revised review will be more than fair....but if I am still correct in my original assessment then WATCH OUT!!!!!!!

:D :D

Ky if you are serious about giving Holiday a second chance, I am proud of you! :D When did you first go on the Holiday?

We went to Progreso, and had nice time getting Massages on the beach, but the water at the beach was nothing like Cozumel. If we do this itin. again we will either stay on the ship or book a tour to Chichen Itza.:p

Ky if you are serious about giving Holiday a second chance, I am proud of you! :D When did you first go on the Holiday?

We went to Progreso, and had nice time getting Massages on the beach, but the water at the beach was nothing like Cozumel. If we do this itin. again we will either stay on the ship or book a tour to Chichen Itza.:p

It was approximately in Oct. 2006.

I was intrigued that my former hometown (and in my heart..still home) had a cruise ship. It looked nice docked in the cruise terminal off I10 and I thought what a convient and inexpensive getaway that would be!

As most of you know the ship did not meet my expectations. I just want to see if I will view the Holiday in a different light on a second cruise.

I am favoring Progresso at this point. I can see all the pretty blue water and do my snorkeling at Cozumel. I enjoyed the authentic and laid back charm of Costa Maya so much that I would like to see if I can find that in Progresso.

Or...I may opt for the 4 day cruise straight to Coz and back. If the ship and passengers are as urpy as they were in '06 why spend an extra day in agony? :confused: :p :D

I was intrigued that my former hometown (and in my heart..still home) had a cruise ship. It looked nice docked in the cruise terminal off I10 and I thought what a convient and inexpensive getaway that would be!

As most of you know the ship did not meet my expectations. I just want to see if I will view the Holiday in a different light on a second cruise.

I am favoring Progresso at this point. I can see all the pretty blue water and do my snorkeling at Cozumel. I enjoyed the authentic and laid back charm of Costa Maya so much that I would like to see if I can find that in Progresso.

Or...I may opt for the 4 day cruise straight to Coz and back. If the ship and passengers are as urpy as they were in '06 why spend an extra day in agony? :confused: :p :D

This cruise was the first time for me to visit Mobile (I have now lived in the South (Alabama) for 12 years. Enjoyed the little bit of it I saw and look forward to going back.

I think I maybe would have been disappointed if I had been expecting what you mentioned before. Maybe due to reading your comments before booking the Holiday helped in that aspect:p! But seriously, we are the kind of people that do not get disappointed too easily and are just about relaxing and not having to do any kind of work. The ship itself may have not changed since you cruised, but the service was out of this world! And we saw very few "rednecks" (probably get blasted for being a yankee saying that, but hey I married one) on our cruise. But alas I love the warm hospitality of the south and that is why I stayed!:D

In the name of all that is holy, don't go on October 16th. Me and 11 of my urpy friends will be on board.

Donna

In the name of all that is holy, don't go on October 16th. Me and 11 of my urpy friends will be on board.

Donna

LOL!

I was thinking I wish KY would be on our cruise so that maybe we could teach him to loosen up some:eek: :D :o

Is this some kinda strange dream I need to slap myself and wake up out of?

who are you and what did you do with KY? :p:eek:

I cant help you much here. I enjoyed the boat so much I stayed on board in Calica and you have already been to Cozumel. The water at Calica did appear to be very clear though.

About the boat itself, I doubt much has changed since 06. If I too had gone in looking for a luxurious cruise aboard a glamorous ship, I would have probably been as disappointed as well.

I hope the Holiday brings you joy this time around. ;)

LOL at "I found enough change between the cushions of my sofa for a Holiday cruise"

Now thats not very nice, Ala-Kat.

If I saw the Holiday in a different light I would be man enough to acknowledge the improvement... there could have been cosmetic changes in the meantime and a better crowd of people aboard as well.

The first time I was expecting a luxury cruise aboard a classy vessel and when the Holiday failed to live up to my expectations I was disappointed. The second time I won't be expecting much.

My revised review will be more than fair....but if I am still correct in my original assessment then WATCH OUT!!!!!!!

:D :D

There is a difference between vacationing at Martha's Vineyard and the Redneck Riveria (which I know you are familiar with). Sounds like you were looking for one and got the other. Adjust your expectations, and I hope you'll be pleasently surprised. :D

BTW, I love vacationing on the Redneck Riveria better than cruising....

Archived