We will be on the Voyager in early November. We have private excursions

planned in all ports except Palermo. We are hoping see Palermo on our own. We are interested in seeing the Catacombs and the Cathedral. What is the best way of getting to these places? Are they far from each other. Is a cab or a bus a doable option?

We will be on the Voyager in early November. We have private excursions

planned in all ports except Palermo. We are hoping see Palermo on our own. We are interested in seeing the Catacombs and the Cathedral. What is the best way of getting to these places? Are they far from each other. Is a cab or a bus a doable option?

never been to Catacombs on my Palermo visits but they must be more interesting than above ground. :(

We love the Capuchin Catacombs and have long recommended the place on these boards. But, it is not within walking distance of the port or even central Palermo. You can take a taxi, and its also possible to use the local buses (check with their tourist info folks for a bus map and directions). The local bus (and sorry to say we do not remember the bus number) stops right on the corner near the Catacombs, and its a direct route to and from the center of the city.

Hank

In my humble opinion, Palermo was the lowlight of our Med cruise last year. A real slum (...did I say that?).:rolleyes:

That was the only port in which we didn't retain a private guide, although we probably should have used: http://www.sicilytourguides.net/Palermo_day_tours.htm .

We took a 1/2 day ship-sponsored tour of the Zisa Castle (underwhelming) and the Capuchin Catacombs http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/palermo-capuchin-catacombs.htm (creepy).

palermo-capuchin-catacombs7-c-paradox.jpg

That afternoon, I caught a cab from the port to San Giovanni degli Eremiti (closed for renovation), and easily walked back to the port along Frommer's suggested route: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/palermo/0135010008.html. Observations:

• Cappella Palatina - obscured by scaffolding
  • most churches/cathedrals - closed for private weddings (Saturday afternoon)
  • many commercial establishments close 1:00 - 4:00 PM daily for "siesta"

135_walkingtouroldpalermo.jpg

Thanks for your input and for the various links. We definitely want to go to the Catacombs but not quite sure about the rest of the day. I will go through the links and figure it out .

Archived