Qantas Air?

janetz

We flew Virgin Blue often when we flew domestic Australia - we did 3 trips to Australia in 5 years, each trip involving a few domestic flying. Virgin Blue is always cheaper than QF's Redtail sale. Is it called Redtail?

Compare to QF, Virgin Blue service is basic. For example, if you fly QF domestic, you have QF transfer between the International and Domestic terminal in SYD. You fly Virgin Blue you have to pay your way to get between the International and Domestic terminals. I know in the past there is a free bus but that has been terminated. We always use the train - the easiest and most on time, though certainly is not cheap consider the very short distance it travels. QF offers its own transfer to its passengers free.

Red-e fares I think they are called but I like redtails!

Now that it has an international service offering connecting domestic flights, I think that Virgin may well have to look at providing terminal transfers like Qantas ... I can well understand why they haven't in the past but if they are promoting themselves as having a better product at a lower price than their competitors, terminal transfers is one of the little things they need to address.

Personally, I think in most respects that Virgin Blue's service is comparable with and often superior to QF's ... for example, friendly helpful staff, better seats and seat pitch, in-seat entertainment. Sure it doesn't offer free braekfast and a newspaper but if its price is cheaper (which more often than not it is) who cares.

A point to remember when comparing the two is VJ started out targeting leisure travellers (to differentiate it from QF that has always had a hold on the corporate/government market) but it has now reached the stage where its offering is being upgraded (flexible fares, premium economy, business lounges, a FF program that offers seats on every flight, etc) so that it can attract domestic business travellers from QF. Where it still suffers by comparison with QF though, is its lack of international connections/partners making it that much less attractive for overseas people flying in and onwards.

I am still not clear if V Australia would be just the long haul version of Virgin Blue or like Virgin Atlantic - a major difference between the 2 - Virgin Blue vs Virgin Atlantic.
As bobsydney says, it's all clearly stated on the website.

But although it will be more Virgin Atlantic than Virgin Blue, I don't think that we should assume that it will be exactly like Virgin Atlantic. Although the companies share the same overall top-level "Virgin" branding, they are completely separate businesses. Virgin Blue is a licensee which is permitted to use the "Virgin" name to a limited extent (ie only within Australia), and it's not a subsidiary of Virgin Atlantic or anything like it. V Australia is simply a part of Virgin Blue. Its name has been carefully crafted to suggest the Virgin linkage - I assume with the tacit blessing of the core Virgin branding business - but it would not be allowed to imply that it is a "Virgin" business.

Virgin Blue is always cheaper than QF's Redtail sale. Is it called Redtail?
I think that you're thinking of "red e-deals", which are the cheapest band of Qantas fares. The name is supposed to give the impression that they're promotional fares, but they're not. They're usually just everyday year-round fares. Only during sale periods (whether announced or unannounced) are there true "deals" to be had on Qantas.

Virgin Blue's lowest fares are usually a fraction lower than Qantas' lowest fares. But on the routes that I fly, this is usually by a margin of maybe $10-$20. For me, I don't think that's money worth saving; Qantas is better value even if it's slightly more expensive.

But I have flown Virgin Blue when Qantas was much more expensive because there were no cheap fares available any more. And I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anyone who has good reason to be considering it - so long as they know what they're getting and what they're not getting.

As bobsydney says, it's all clearly stated on the website.

But although it will be more Virgin Atlantic than Virgin Blue, I don't think that we should assume that it will be exactly like Virgin Atlantic. Although the companies share the same overall top-level "Virgin" branding, they are completely separate businesses. Virgin Blue is a licensee which is permitted to use the "Virgin" name to a limited extent (ie only within Australia), and it's not a subsidiary of Virgin Atlantic or anything like it. V Australia is simply a part of Virgin Blue. Its name has been carefully crafted to suggest the Virgin linkage - I assume with the tacit blessing of the core Virgin branding business - but it would not be allowed to imply that it is a "Virgin" business.

That is why I am confused - as from the business ownership standpoint, V Australia is simply the long haul side of Virgin Blue, which as you aptly pointed out, aint Virgin Atlantic.

But I am sure Branson loves to create such illusion!

I can't imagine what the first class menu looks like.

This might take me some time but here's the First menu from my Sydney-Los Angeles flight from a couple of weeks back...and also the report I wrote up to keep myself entertained...

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/129803/

Tasting Menu

Our Tasting Menu features a selection of eight tasting plates highlighting the finest of Rockpool and Qantas cuisine. A selection of award winning wines will be offered to complement each course. Your flight attendant is available to assist with your selection.

Porcini Mushroom Pate with Caramelised Onions on Sourdough

Tartlet of Creme Fraiche with Salmon Roe

Italian Style Pumpkin and Basil Soup with Gremolata

Salad of Spanish Iberico Ham with Char Grilled Peppers

Seared Snapper with Cafe de Paris Butter, Creamed Lentils and Braised Silverbeet.

Slow Cooked Lamb in Rosemary and Garlic with Potato Puree and Broccoli

Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee and Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Cinnamon Pear Cake with Vanilla Fudge Sauce and Cream

Blue, Soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

A selection of Cacao hand made chocolates

Lunch

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you to enjoy a completely personalised dining experience. A selection of side dishes is available to complement your main course. Your flight attendant will be pleased to assist you with your selection. As your flight continues feel free to snack from a variety of lighter savoury and sweet refreshments at any time.

Canapes

Entrees

Italian Style Pumpkin and Basil Soup with Gremolata

Salad of Spanish Iberico Ham with Char Grilled Peppers

Salad

Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee is available to accompany your main course, or can be enjoyed as an entree, dressed with your choice of Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette, Palm Sugar Vinaigrette, Blue Cheese Dressing or Lemon Vinaigrette

Main Courses

Marinated Pan Fried Tofu with Teriyaki Vegetables

Seared Snapper with Cafe de Paris Butter

Roast Duck with XO Sauce

Slow Cooked Lamb in Rosemary and Garlic

A Lighter Main Course Choice:

Seared Snapper with Fresh Lemon Juice and Olive Oil

Side Dishes:

Creamed Lentils

Jasmine Rice

Potato Puree

Braised Silverbeet

Bok Choy

Steamed Broccoli

A choice of mustards and condiments is available

Cheese

Blue, Soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

Dessert

Cinnamon Pear Cake with Vanilla Fudge Sauce and Cream

Assiette - a tasting plate of desserts

Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Petit Fours

A selection of Cacao hand made chocolates

Refreshment

Available throughout your flight

A large bowl of Porcini Mushroom and Pearl Barley Soup with sage.

Wagyu Spaghetti Bolognese with Parmigiano Reggiano

Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

Manna from Heaven Apple Lumberjack Cake

Lemon Shortbread Biscuits

Fresh Whole Fruit

Nice Cream Chocolate Coated Vanilla Ice Creams

Wine List:

Champagne:

Dom Perignon (thought didn't see the year it looked like 1999 or 1996, I suspect the former)

White Wine:

Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2004

Mesh Eden Valley Reisling 2007

S.C. Pannell Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Red Wine:

Brini Litd Release Sebastian Shiraz 2004

Bannockburn Serre Pinot Noir 2001

Houghton Jack Mann Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

Dessert Wine:

De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2004

Fortified Wine:

Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat & Tokay

:D

This might take me some time but here's the First menu from my Sydney-Los Angeles flight from a couple of weeks back...and also the report I wrote up to keep myself entertained...

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/129803/

Wine List:

Champagne:

Dom Perignon (thought didn't see the year it looked like 1999 or 1996, I suspect the former)

White Wine:

Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2004

Mesh Eden Valley Reisling 2007

S.C. Pannell Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Red Wine:

Brini Litd Release Sebastian Shiraz 2004

Bannockburn Serre Pinot Noir 2001

Houghton Jack Mann Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

Dessert Wine:

De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2004

Fortified Wine:

Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat & Tokay

:D She boards at 9pm and will eat her way through the whole flight, I am sure...

Our DD has called from NZ and told us she was so impressed by Qantas. The plane was full of youth going to WYD and when boarding they were all given pairs of comfy socks and blankets. She said the plane was a double decker. She was so tired and the seats went back so far she slept for almost 12 hours! I can not sleep in the upright position so this amazes me. In the morning they handed out warm towels to them and of course the food was wonderful. To bad all airlines can not be as nice. :)

Archived