What to do on Grand Turk...?

Johnsonclan

From what I've found on here, it appears that Grand Turk is almost like a 'theme park' type experience. A place where you arrive only to find that the 'park' runs everything. We are not big on booking shore excursions through the cruise lines and have enjoyed absolutely amazing experiences in doing it 'our way'. A major contributor to our success in these endeavors has been the cruise critic community who have gone out of their way in recommending private companies to book excursions through. We have enjoyed much more personal service, small intimate groups and lower prices. And yes, we know that the ship won't wait for us if we're late, but trust me, it's well worth it.

So how about it folks, are there any private companies on Grand Turk, or is the entire island run by the 'company store'...?

Thank you all in advance for your help...

We are just off the Liberty today and we were at Grand Turk on 7/3. We rented a golf cart from Nathan "the golf cart guy" outside of the cruise terminal entrance. The rate was $80 for the whole day plus replace the gas that you use while touring the island.

We had a map even though Nathan insisted you couldn't get lost. Not many of the streets have signs indicating what they are called and not all streets are on the map. Our intention was to go up to the Bohio Resort at Pillory Beach but we couldn't find it. As we were headed back to the terminal I think I may have spotted it, but then we could not figure out how to get to it. Now it is very likely that we are slow or have navigational issues! Nonetheless, we returned the cart less than an hour later because there really was nothing to see as far as the island goes. There is not a lot to it, and much of it appears to be very poor. I'm sure if you went to the Grand Turk official country website you could find a private tour with someone, but unless it is diving related, you may not find much. If you are looking for a quieter beach to lay on outside of Margaritaville/Carnival Beach, I would just walk a ways towards Governor's Beach (where the red diving flag is, if you're facing the water, head towards your right). Fair warning for you, the ground is REALLY rocky until you are about chest deep in the water and then there is a huge drop off. I know you can rent snorkeling gear at Carnival beach once you are there and carry it off to where you want to go, but Governor's beach was not rated well for snorkeling.

I apologize if this was not much help and good luck to you. For anyone who reads this thinking they will just swim at the pool at Margaritaville, think again. Take the number of passengers on the ship and divide it in half, that is how many people you will find with the same idea! There is no room to even move in the pool. There are chairs dispersed throughout the palms/coconut trees that are great to sit in if you can get one, the water is just gorgeous to stare at, and there is a great breeze to keep you cool. It's a nice beach day!

kkdleon ,

Thank you for the info. That is what we were thinking, a day at the beach. We bring our own snorkel gear, so that will probably be what we do. So now we need to find a good beach for snorkeling that is not too full of people and just chill.

Thanks again...

The cruise terminal was built by/for Carnival, and it can seem a bit like a "theme park" if you don't get out of there - it'd be a shame to go to Grand Turk and only be able to say you spent time at a Margaritaville.

There is a little bit to see in Cockburn Town, including a small museum (look for other threads on this), but treating Grand Turk as a day at the beach is a fine idea. I'm not a snorkeler, but there's been plenty of discussion of where to go snorkeling in other threads.

--David

Here's the thread that talks about the museum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=710166

We started the day with a cab ride to Bohio Resort and stayed there for a few hours: gorgeous! Then, DH went to his scuba dive and I checked out the museum. My recommendation: stay away from the cruise ship terminal unless you like touristy shopping and Margaritaville. GT is so much more "unspoiled" and worth exploring the small island. Wish I would've made it up to the lighthouse. HAVE FUN!

Please provide more information about Bohio beach. Is there an admission charge? What do they have there in regard to food, drink, chairs and beach/ocean conditions? Does anyone recomend another beach?

We are a family of five, with a 15 amd 12 yer old boys and a 10 yer old girl.

Please provide more information about Bohio beach. Is there an admission charge? What do they have there in regard to food, drink, chairs and beach/ocean conditions? Does anyone recomend another beach?

We are a family of five, with a 15 amd 12 yer old boys and a 10 yer old girl.

Yes, I would also like to know this. :D

I contacted the resort and here is their reply:

Our door are open, we have a full service restaurant and bar for lunch and a

beautiful snorkeling beach.

There are kayaks, snorkeling equipment and sun loungers for rent.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have further queries about

Bohio or Grand Turk in general.

So this is an option, but not sure how the beach is, or how crowded it gets.

Archived