Fantasy after the Miracle and Destiny???

lucyddr

I am considering booking a getaway to New Orleans which would include a cruise on the Fantasy. We have cruised on the Miracle and Destiny in the past with a future cruise booked on the Glory. I know the ship is smaller and older, but am trying to figure out if the experience will be significantly different... I do like the idea of cruising the Mississippi River and the ports of call. What do you all think? Worth it or a set-up for disappointment???

PS We are pretty low maintenence and are rarely in our stateroom if that helps...

As long as you are not expecting the world, I think you will have a great time. I have cruised out of NOLA twice. First was on the Sensation, second on the Fantasy. Both were great cruises. I had cruised on both the Miracle and the Glory between the two. From my other posts you will find I'm not real fond of the Conquest class, but I love both the Spirit and Fantasy classes.

I am considering booking a getaway to New Orleans which would include a cruise on the Fantasy. We have cruised on the Miracle and Destiny in the past with a future cruise booked on the Glory. I know the ship is smaller and older, but am trying to figure out if the experience will be significantly different... I do like the idea of cruising the Mississippi River and the ports of call. What do you all think? Worth it or a set-up for disappointment???

PS We are pretty low maintenence and are rarely in our stateroom if that helps...

Fantasy was the first ship I ever cruised on and have been on many ships since. In March I cruised on the Inspiration and loved it and the size of the ship........It is a ship...it is at sea....and you're on vacation...There is no downside to that........;) ;)

We are leaving in 2 days for the Fantasy 2nd time. People complain about it being a little worn. I do not look at the carpeting. The ship is clean, people friendly, lots of food and DOD. We love it. I think that if you can overlook a couple of things then go for it. You don't have to anything but enjoy....

Fantasy goes into drydock in September for a month for updates. She will get the Waterworks area and lots more. If you go after that, she shouldn't look worn at all!

I'm going in July before the waterworks are put in. I just couldn't wait.

I've done Fantasy out of Nola 3 times. Even though I love Conquest class & shiney new ships, Fantasy is always a good cruise. New Orleans is a great port to cruise from & enjoy before or after.

The ship is well kept. Crew is friendly & service is good. Hope you go & enjoy the City & your cruise. :)

If we book, it will be at the end of August. That being said, we don't care much about the waterworks area or the condition of the carpet! (As long as it's relatively clean...) Depending on how our move goes, we will probably book the cruise as it's a great deal and would give us a very nice vacation week... Plus, my husband hasn't ever been to NO and LOVES haunted history tours. So, I'm sure he'll enjoy it immensely!

Sailing down the Mississippi River is fascinating, as long as you can see things. We were on a June sailing and it stayed light for a good part of the way. It got dark before we reached the gulf though. You can still see lights and outlines after it gets dark. Some people find the turns the ship makes on the river unsettling. It moves at a pretty good speed while making some pretty sharp turns.

If at all possible stay in the French Quarter before or after your cruise. Great place.

MexicoBob

We have only been on one ship (Glory) that was bigger than a fantacy class ship. The Glory was wonderful and we had a great time. However, we have found that we get better service and there is a charm about the smaller ships. We have never walked on a ship expecting too much. Since our attitude is simple we always come out of the cruise with a ton of wonderful memories.

Archived