Bringing wine onboard

tcrny

Hi... I searched the boards but couldn't find ... I understand that we are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per adult onboard. Is that only for use in your stateroom only? I'm assuming you would not be allowed to bring it to dining room for dinner :eek: Thanks.

Hi... I searched the boards but couldn't find ... I understand that we are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per adult onboard. Is that only for use in your stateroom only? I'm assuming you would not be allowed to bring it to dining room for dinner :eek: Thanks.

Yes, you can bring wine that you carried onboard to the dining venues, but most times you will be charged a corkage fee for consuming it outside your stateroom. The charge is $15 per bottle.

Yes, you can bring wine that you carried onboard to the dining venues, but most times you will be charged a corkage fee for consuming it outside your stateroom. The charge is $15 per bottle.

Passenger contract that $15 is only charged in the restaurants. Carnival charges $10 but I have never been actually charged on it. Does Princess usually charge the fee or is it a "sometimes" thing?

Passenger contract that $15 is only charged in the restaurants. Carnival charges $10 but I have never been actually charged on it. Does Princess usually charge the fee or is it a "sometimes" thing?

It is one of those 'Iffy' things. Many have definitely been charged the fee, others say occasionally (about 50% of the time). So, it's best to be prepared to pay the fee if you take the wine, and if you aren't, look at it as a gift. ;)

Be descreet, you can bring a couple each if you don't advertise it. :)

I have brought as many as ten bottles on board. However, I was always prepared to have them confiscated if someone decided to enforce the one bottle per rule. To date I have yet to be stopped. As for corkage, it is hit and miss, but overall I am weel ahead in that venue. Always try to get very freindly with the wait staff. They may charge on the first night and then "overlook" future fees for wine brought to dining room.

If i decide to take more than one bottle per person and they find out will they make me leave them behind or will they confiscate them till the end of the cruise? Just wondering since I really don't want to have to throw out good bottles of wine.

If i decide to take more than one bottle per person and they find out will they make me leave them behind or will they confiscate them till the end of the cruise? Just wondering since I really don't want to have to throw out good bottles of wine.

If they decide to uphold the rules and you bring more than they allow, they will confiscate the extra and return it to you the last night of the cruise to take home with you. You will not have to throw it out.

Thanks so much for the info. We are in anytime dining, so you just stand in line with your bottle in hand? Would it be your head waiter that decides about the corkage fee and would charge it to your ship account? Since we are anytime dining, we probably will have different wait staff each time, so I'll have to be prepared that it would be charged. If we dine in the same room (i.e. coral) would they keep the bottle there for us for next night?

Thanks, Cathy

staff each time, so I'll have to be prepared that it would be charged. If we dine in the same room (i.e. coral) would they keep the bottle there for us for next night?

Thanks, Cathy

Yes, if you don't finish the bottle, they will store it and bring it to you the following evening.

On our last two Crown Princess cruises, we brought a case of wine with us each time. It was extra baggage (subject to $75 charge by the airline) but was worth it. With an extra $5 tip to the baggage handlers in San Juan, we had unbroken wine to enjoy. We were never charged the corkage fee in the dining room but then we are really fun people...The rest, we enjoyed on our balcony with friends. Your cabin steward will be happy to keep your wine glasses stocked.

Pat

Ok, sorry I'm a bit confused -- tcrny asked if you have anytime dining, you guys in the past just take a bottle of wine with you, stand in line with it? I cannot recall in the past seeing anyone carrying wine into the dining room.

thanks

Ok, sorry I'm a bit confused -- tcrny asked if you have anytime dining, you guys in the past just take a bottle of wine with you, stand in line with it? I cannot recall in the past seeing anyone carrying wine into the dining room.

thanks

How else would you bring in your own wine? :)

On our last cruise with several friends we realized that we all liked to have a glass of wine (or two) before dinner, and then we were satisfied with just one glass along with our meal. We would gather in each others' cabins (minisuites) before dinner for snacks and wine and conversation. Then when it was time for dinner, we would all refill our glasses and carry them with us to the dining room. It was never a problem. We did purchase a couple of bottles at dinner over the course of the 12 day cruise, but they would always store them and bring them back out when we returned for dinner the next night. But overall, we saved a lot of $ on wine purchases by carrying our own glasses to dinner.

Hide it in a paper bag so that the MaitreD does not see it? (Just kidding).

Since we are quite willing to pay corkage, we carry it openly. On our last cruise, the dining supervisors and head waiter were at the entrance squirting the sanitizer as everyone walked in. So we gave the wine bottle to him and he held it and squirted with his other hand.

How else would you bring in your own wine? :)

the fair thing is to bring wine onboard to enjoy in your cabin and balcony, and buy wine for dinner. Note that your don't have to drink all the wine at dinner...they are happy to pour you a glass and store it for the next night. So we have our happy hour on our balcony, then have a glass of wine with our dinner. works well!

Also, the rules are clear about bringing extra bottles on board...suggest you store them in your checked baggage and avoid any "confiscations". Bag in box works very well (although not vintage...)

Thanks everyone ... I just feel strange carrying a bottle into dining room with me. Guess I'll go the first night and see if others do then I won't feel so strange. I know many of the other cruise lines don't allow wine onboard at all - but since Princess does allow it, I don't know that it mentioned on their website whether it is restricted to your stateroom or byob to dinner. Thanks,

Thanks everyone ... I just feel strange carrying a bottle into dining room with me. Guess I'll go the first night and see if others do then I won't feel so strange. I know many of the other cruise lines don't allow wine onboard at all - but since Princess does allow it, I don't know that it mentioned on their website whether it is restricted to your stateroom or byob to dinner. Thanks,

If I now where I am sitting in the dining room I will sometimes go early and have them put it up for me or ice it if it is Champagne etc. :)

You carry the wine bottle to your table with you. Either the waiter or asst. waiter may offer to take the bottle from you. If neither takes the bottle, place the bottle in front of you at the table. On Princess, wine service is the responsibility of the asst. waiter and not the waiter. If the asst. waiter does not come and politely pick up the bottle, after you settle down try to catch his eye. The asst. waiter will very discreetly come to you (after he has looked at the wine label so that it is not from the ship) and whisper that there will be a corkage charge. You can affirm that it is OK with you. Then he will open the bottle. Sometime later during the meal, the asst. waiter will come around and ask you for your card. Then he will bring the charge slip and your card. If there is wine left in the bottle at the end of the meal, the asst. waiter will tag the bottle with your cabin number. The next day just tell the asst. waiter (in Anytime most likely a different person) that you have wine. He will retrieve it. You will not be charged corkage for the same bottle again.

Thanks so much for the info. We are in anytime dining, so you just stand in line with your bottle in hand? Would it be your head waiter that decides about the corkage fee and would charge it to your ship account? Since we are anytime dining, we probably will have different wait staff each time, so I'll have to be prepared that it would be charged. If we dine in the same room (i.e. coral) would they keep the bottle there for us for next night?

Thanks, Cathy

Something else to consider too........ by the time you pay the corkage fee it may be just as inexpensive (even less expensive) to just buy from the ship's list. I do enjoy wine with dinner and have found the ships pricing, even in the dining room, to be competitive with what I pay in the stores here. One example from last year, we splurged at Sterling's and bought a bottle of Caymus Cabernet for $78 one night. That same bottle was $80 in the stores here. The ship has a decent wine list with wines covering a wide price range. Treat the ships dining room like you would a restaurant. In other words, pay the corkage fee for a bottle if they charge it. Bringing a glass of wine to dinner is not something you would do on an evening out, even if you could carry one in with you. Same holds true onboard. Just my opinion.

Princess has a very reasonably priced wine list. That said, we bring our favorites that we know won't be offered. We just carry the bottle to the dining room and place it on the table. The waiters know the drill. Recently we found a carrier (at SteinMart) shaped like a bottle with little feet and a handle - almost like a tapestry purse - to carry the bottle. We'll see how this works on our next cruise.

Hey, Northern Lights - we were with you last Aug on the Caribbean Princess. We're doing the 9 night on 7/19. When are you sailing again ???

Michele and Felice

Archived