Bringing wine onboard

tcrny

I do appreciate how Princess has chosen to price their dining room wines. Hey Michele and Felice....we still havent booked the open bookings yet. This summer has been taken up with a new project at home and a family reunion in Seattle later this month. I have been telling Denise I am getting the itch bad for a cruise though (She is not a hard sell ;-) ! You two sold us on the idea of the Bungalows next time at Princess Cays, something we definately will do. Hope all is well.

Thank you all so much for the info. We have taken wine onboard while in ports (in New Zealand we toured a winery and wanted to bring a couple bottles of the local wine onboard) and just drank it on our balcony but didn't think of the dining room -- that is a nice touch.

Thanks again --

May I by wine by the bottle while onboard and have it brought to our cabin?

I believe I saw somewhere that we could by Vodka and tonic for something 19.50 and have that delivered to the cabin - so I presume the same thing with wine?????

May I by wine by the bottle while onboard and have it brought to our cabin?

Room service will bring you any bottle that's on the wine list. All of the bars have a copy of the list so you don't have to run down to the dining room. We finally asked for a copy for our room since we order a pre-dinner bottle almost every evening.

Bringing a glass of wine to dinner is not something you would do on an evening out, even if you could carry one in with you. Same holds true onboard. Just my opinion.

But if one was in the bar area of a nice resturant and just ordered a glass of wine when their table became available, it is okay to take that glass of wine to one's table. Same can and does happen on a ship.

On Our Last Cruise: We were having a few friends over to our cabin before dinner. So we called Room Service for a bottle of a specific wine which we know is on the dining room wine list because we had ordered it in the dining room. Room Service said that they can only deliver wine that is on the Room Service List. (Each cabin has the Room Service list of items in the binder). So we asked -- could we go to one of the Bars and get the bottle? Nooo -- Bar will sell only "bottles" on the Room Service List also. The wine we wanted was a higher priced one. We still do not know whether there was mis-communication or this is a Policy!

Room service will bring you any bottle that's on the wine list. All of the bars have a copy of the list so you don't have to run down to the dining room. We finally asked for a copy for our room since we order a pre-dinner bottle almost every evening.

Also, the rules are clear about bringing extra bottles on board...suggest you store them in your checked baggage and avoid any "confiscations". Bag in box works very well (although not vintage...)

I agree - the rules are clear! The CONTRACT between you and Princess says you can bring wine and champagne on board - it doesn't state a limit! Other things they put out say one bottle each per passenger - but that isn't the legally binding contract!

Hide it in a paper bag so that the MaitreD does not see it? (Just kidding).

Since we are quite willing to pay corkage, we carry it openly.

No big deal...just stroll in with your wine bottle. We've done it many times.

But if one was in the bar area of a nice resturant and just ordered a glass of wine when their table became available, it is okay to take that glass of wine to one's table. Same can and does happen on a ship.

Different situation altogether as the glass was ordered at the bar, but yes, you are correct.

Yes -- best to bring your own.

This may be an obvious question to most, but this is our first cruise. Do we need to bring our own corkscrew if we plan to enjoy the wine we bring in our room, or is it something that we can request? Thanks!

On Our Last Cruise: We were having a few friends over to our cabin before dinner. So we called Room Service for a bottle of a specific wine which we know is on the dining room wine list because we had ordered it in the dining room. Room Service said that they can only deliver wine that is on the Room Service List. (Each cabin has the Room Service list of items in the binder). So we asked -- could we go to one of the Bars and get the bottle? Nooo -- Bar will sell only "bottles" on the Room Service List also. The wine we wanted was a higher priced one. We still do not know whether there was mis-communication or this is a Policy!

Now that you mention it, I think we could only get "dining room" wines from room service while the dining rooms were open. Since we always do traditional late seating, we usually aren't ready for our pre-dinner wine until 6 or 6:30. I seem to remember when we called around 5 one day, we were told we'd have to wait until the dining room opened to get the bottle we wanted.

It's also been 2+ years since our last cruise and things may have changed.

Kathi & Leo

We can bring wine in our carry on? I thought it had to be packed in your checked luggage. We are four adults' date=' so I guess we could carry on four bottles. Is this Correct?

thanks.[/quote']

You can bring it in your carry on to the ship. You may not bring it in your carry on, on a plane.

We carried a bottle each onto the ship and then a bottle each from 2 of our port visits. Day packs got a bit of a second look going through the scanner, but no one said anything.

I never say anything that specified at what port :) you could bring a bottle on (ie, not just at embarkation!)

Does anyone have a wine list from the Emerald or Crown that they can post? We are sailing on the Ruby and want an idea of what wines they carry. :)
Go the CC posting by Geoherb on Nov. 10th 2007. It is a little out of date but was real close on our last sailing in March.

Princess Wine Prices as of June 2008..

Mumm Cordon Rouge Champagne $50.00

Moet & Chandon Extra Dry $62.00

Veuve Cliquot Champagne $66.00

Dom Perignon Champagne $169.00

Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante $2.00

Carpene Mal Volti Prosecco Sparkling Wine $30.00

Korbel Brut Sparkline Wine $25.00

Korbel Rose Sparkling Wine $28.00

Chassagne Montrachet $56.00

Niersteiner $21.00

Piesporter Goldtropchen $27.00