De Palm Island on your own

dot73

Rather than going on a ship excursion, I would prefer to go to DePalm Island on my own and choose my own activities once there. How do you get from the ship to the island? Are there any non-ship tours that pick up at the dock and take you to the island? Thank you.

Thanks, Lisa. When I go to a beach, I don't like to be on an excursion schedule and this sounds great. This will be my third cruise stop in Aruba and it's one of my favourite islands.

How far is the ferry and how much would a taxi cost?

A taxi is $19 ($3 surcharge on Sunday) each way per fare, not per person.

If you just wanted a beach experience see my post at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15294798&postcount=2. It would be less expensive than a day on De Palm Island.

Taxi fare to Palm Beach is $10 each way.

Be aware that the actual beach at DePalm Island is tiny. The sand is laid on top of black plastic. The "water park" is quite small, designed for little kids, and faces a huge electric plant on shore. I was very disappointed by the food, as well.

BUT....the blue parrot fish are gorgeous!:rolleyes:

Below are some photos of De Palm Island taken via helicopter

depalm_island.jpg

De Palm's Waterpark

depalm_island_waterpark.jpg

For snorkeling on Palm Beach, as long as you are able to swim, there is a rock outcropping which is an excellent source of "goodies" for viewing. For a landmark, this is the police station between the Divi Phoenix and Westin Resorts.

polis_n_parka.jpg

Upper left corner, blue rectangle the rental vendor who I refer to in my day at Palm Beach thread.

radisson.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am very confused as to what De Palm Island is. It seems to be a private island, but yet on their website they refer to Jeep Tours of Aruba. I would like to take a tour of Aruba, do some snorkeling and also have an hour or so to browse the shops before heading to the ship. I am not a big one for just lounging at a beach all day. However, I do like a beach where you can get up and do different things, such as snorkeling or shopping with a place to grab a bite to eat. We also need shade available as DH will get as red as a lobster in no time So, is this what De Palm Island is or would we be better served to do something else? I also could not figure out the price on the website. All the prices seem to be for a concert day or with excursions. Yet the website said "Pay one price and choose what to do". There were many prices listed.

• 4 months later...
I am very confused as to what De Palm Island is.

So sorry I did not see this question before. :o I believe you have 4 months until your trip? :confused:

De Palm Island is owned by De Palm Corporation http://www.depalm.com/

Not only do they have the island, but they are THE largest tour operator on the island. I think this is where some of the confusion comes in. They sell "bundles" of packages such as: island all inclusive, all incusive + SNUBA, etc.

If you go to their website on the top right there is a box you can click on "online reservation". Scroll down to the bottom of this page for the island packages. De Palm Island By Bus. Now I did have someone on one of my previous roll calls who tried to book this independently and was told that she could not because she was on a cruise ship. I "think" you might want to just tell De Palm you will provide your own transportation to the island's ferry departure point. This in turn means more $$$, at least $13 by taxi each way. Bus will not get you there.

IMHO, $95.79 per person (+ taxi as mentioned above) is a lot of money for the day. For $100 you can go to the Riu (a 4 star resort) all inclusive and spend the day eating and drinking by their gorgeous pool and on their beach, much much nice imo. BUT you would be giving up your snorkeling.

Another option for snorkeling is to rent a car for the day and follow the coastal route making stops at Malmok, Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove. If you do the math, the car rental during high season for a sub-compact is $35. After your day of snorkeling you could stop at any number of restaurants or beachside bars along Palm Beach and have a meal and some beverages and still came out WAY ahead of the price of De Palm Island.

There is a ton more info on snorkeling in Aruba in these threads

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/tags.php?tag=aruba+snorkeling

So sorry I did not see this question before. :o I believe you have 4 months until your trip? :confused:

De Palm Island is owned by De Palm Corporation http://www.depalm.com/

Not only do they have the island, but they are THE largest tour operator on the island. I think this is where some of the confusion comes in. They sell "bundles" of packages such as: island all inclusive, all incusive + SNUBA, etc.

If you go to their website on the top right there is a box you can click on "online reservation". Scroll down to the bottom of this page for the island packages. De Palm Island By Bus. Now I did have someone on one of my previous roll calls who tried to book this independently and was told that she could not because she was on a cruise ship. I "think" you might want to just tell De Palm you will provide your own transportation to the island's ferry departure point. This in turn means more $$$, at least $13 by taxi each way. Bus will not get you there.

IMHO, $95.79 per person (+ taxi as mentioned above) is a lot of money for the day. For $100 you can go to the Riu (a 4 star resort) all inclusive and spend the day eating and drinking by their gorgeous pool and on their beach, much much nice imo. BUT you would be giving up your snorkeling.

Another option for snorkeling is to rent a car for the day and follow the coastal route making stops at Malmok, Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove. If you do the math, the car rental during high season for a sub-compact is $35. After your day of snorkeling you could stop at any number of restaurants or beachside bars along Palm Beach and have a meal and some beverages and still came out WAY ahead of the price of De Palm Island.

There is a ton more info on snorkeling in Aruba in these threads

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/tags.php?tag=aruba+snorkeling

Wait a sec Arubalisa! The Riu is a very short walk to the area on Palm Beach by the Polis Station that you indicated was good for snorkeling. If they opt for a day at the Riu, they may be able to rent equipment there or Red Sail Sports (also close) if they don't have their own.............

Thank you for the reply. We have decide to go ahead and book Jolly Pirates. We think it looks like a good option that we can all enjoy!:)

Enjoy! I know we all did in June! Our 12 yo dd loved the rope swing :D

Archived