spirit of glacier bay runs aground

bottom-dragger

• Administrators
Bad luck? Is that what you call it when you hire either inexperienced or incompetent pilots?

Remember this?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2257

Well, as I said in the other thread on this subject (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805707) I do remember that -- but I thought the investigation concluded that the Spirit of Nantucket struck a previously-uncharted underwater obstruction believed to be of Civil War vintage and which had only recently surfaced, and that her captain was praised for the quick decision to run her aground in order to prevent her from sinking outright? I might be wrong but I thought that was the upshot of that particular incident. (Not that this explains today's episode; it's just the "incompetent pilots" reference seemed a bit unfair if it was referring to the previous incident).

From the looks of the scene in the aerial photos the ship was aground on a sand bar much like those near Cordova. Cordova was once the Razor Clam capital of the world and just about every bar was loaded with delicious big razors.

At low water, it would have been nice if the passengers were allowed to get off and dig a few. Maybe the onboard cooks don't understand how to prepare these clams but they couldn’t miss as they also make the best clam chowder you have ever tasted.

previously-uncharted underwater obstruction ... (Not that this explains today's episode; it's just the "incompetent pilots" reference seemed a bit unfair if it was referring to the previous incident).

I'm sure you're right on that one, but there seem too many incidents; here's the last 13 months in Alaska alone:

(the entire article: http://www.adn.com/money/story/458543.html)

Recent Cruise West incidents in Alaska waters

JULY 7, 2008: The Spirit of Glacier Bay, with 51 passengers and crewmen aboard, ran aground in Tarr Inlet and remained stuck until the tide moved back in to refloat the vessel. There were no injuries, and the vessel's hull was not breached. Weather was clear with calm seas.

JUNE 4, 2008: The Spirit of Alaska scraped the ocean floor while carrying 63 people in Tracy Arm, a glaciated fjord about 45 miles south of Juneau. No injuries were reported, but a diver inspecting the vessel's exterior noted possible damage to its rudder and the vessel was towed to Auke Bay in Juneau, its home port.

AUG. 19, 2007: The Spirit of Columbia was carrying 51 passengers and 21 crew members when it ran aground at low tide near Evans Island during a bear-watching maneuver. The vessel struck mud and sand but its hull was not breached. There were no injuries. It refloated at high tide and made the return voyage to Whittier.

JUNE 25, 2007: The Spirit of Yorktown collided with the 58-foot fishing vessel Adirondack in Chatham Strait and crippled the seiner. No injuries were reported, and the Yorktown suffered no damage. The Adirondack was towed to Sitka by another fishing vessel.

Source: Anchorage Daily News archives

Archived