RCCL Legends.... Toiletries on ship ?????

I have a HUGE tendancy to way way way over pack. Trying to figure out what I DON"T need, even when it is little stuff.:o

We will be on the 12 day Eastern Med. Cruise in a regular 'closet' cabin. Is the ship like a hotel room? :confused: Do they put out bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner body lotion for you each day or something???

Thanks for your input.

GAWD I am SO grateful to have stumbled across this website!!!;)

Take your own!!!

RCCL provides shampoo and a bar of soap. The shampoo is terrible.

Get travel size containers and you will be fine. You can always take multiple travel size containers if you use a lot of one product.

Take your own!!!

RCCL provides shampoo and a bar of soap. The shampoo is terrible.

Get travel size containers and you will be fine. You can always take multiple travel size containers if you use a lot of one product.

Ditto. The tiny bars of soap suck, and the shampoo is only fit for a guy who doesn't care about his hair. We always pack our own. You can't always find travel sizes of the products you like, but you can buy empty 3 oz plastic bottles at Target, Walmart, drugstore, etc.

They provide some mystery stuff in a container in the shower. We use if for hand soap and I'll do a bit of hand laundry with it. I haven't used bar soap in probably over 25 years, so I cannot comment on the quality of what theirs may be.

Look into what your particular airline has for weight restrictions and the charges for overweight suitcases, that may curb your desire to overpack. Remember to times the amount by 2 for the return trip home. You are both allowed a 3-1-1 bag (most flights, if you aren't flying on regional airlines in Europe, so be careful) in your carry on so you can each pack a 3 oz bottle of shampoo, conditioner and body wash, it should be enough for the entire time if you use the products sparingly.

I was listening to a woman talk about the 3 oz. thing recently (not being nosy, she was sorta loud), her comment was that 3 oz. of shampoo is only enough for the first night. I got to thinking, an 8 oz. bottle of shampoo lasts me about 2 months at home, the last weekend cruise my husband and I took, we used less than half of a 2 oz. bottle between the two of us, so 1 oz. for 3 days. Are people using product by the handful?

If all else fails, I'm sure there will be places you can purchase a small bottle of shampoo or conditioner while on your trip, the ship even has a sundries department.

But, final answer, do not use the stuff in the shower on your hair :o

I just got back from a five-day convention at a nice hotel. The tiny bottle of shampoo and one of conditioner lasted me the entire time. Of course, when I do stay somewhere like that with really nice "stuff" I always take the extras they leave for cruising (or when I'm traveling with a cat and have to stay at the Red Roof). I know people say you shouldn't take the extras, but if I'm paying nearly $200 a night I feel entitled to a couple of little bottles of shampoo.

I was listening to a woman talk about the 3 oz. thing recently (not being nosy, she was sorta loud), her comment was that 3 oz. of shampoo is only enough for the first night. I got to thinking, an 8 oz. bottle of shampoo lasts me about 2 months at home, the last weekend cruise my husband and I took, we used less than half of a 2 oz. bottle between the two of us, so 1 oz. for 3 days. Are people using product by the handful?

Yes they are. Most people do not realize they are using too much shampoo for their hair. I use a dime size amount of shampoo in my extremely thick hair, rinse repeat. I take 2 travel size bottles of shampoo with me just in case (one in my carry on, one in my checked luggage). I rarely need to use that 2nd bottle, despite the fact that I usually have to wash my hair daily on cruises due to going swimming.

You won't need alot of shampoo on a ship--the water is so soft, that a teeny weeny amount of shampoo will go a loooong way! If you use your regular amount, it will suds forever!

But--bring what you like--the stuff provided isn't very good for women--men may find it ok, but if you care about your locks, bring what suits you!

You won't need alot of shampoo on a ship--the water is so soft, that a teeny weeny amount of shampoo will go a loooong way! If you use your regular amount, it will suds forever!

But--bring what you like--the stuff provided isn't very good for women--men may find it ok, but if you care about your locks, bring what suits you!

I was thinking.... hubby with very little hair:rolleyes: most likely will care less about the 'condition' of the shampoo provided. And yes... I with long naturally curly, colored hair will care very much about the 'condition' of the supplied shampoo. I figured on bringing on shampoo, lots of conditioner and body soap. Guess I will stick with that plan. Thanks everyone :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
.......I was listening to a woman talk about the 3 oz. thing recently (not being nosy, she was sorta loud), her comment was that 3 oz. of shampoo is only enough for the first night. I got to thinking, an 8 oz. bottle of shampoo lasts me about 2 months at home, the last weekend cruise my husband and I took, we used less than half of a 2 oz. bottle between the two of us, so 1 oz. for 3 days. Are people using product by the handful?.........

My DH and DS use shampoo by the handful. It's very wasteful, but there's no breaking the bad habit. I buy both of them cheap shampoo (Suave, V05, etc), because a large bottle goes so quickly. Personally, I only find it necessary to use a nickle sized amount of my hair, and I buy myself the better stuff since I use it sparingly.

I do end up using more shampoo than normal though while cruising, due to the fact that I usually shower twice a day...in the morning, and before dinner.

I do end up using more shampoo than normal though while cruising, due to the fact that I usually shower twice a day...in the morning, and before dinner.

Me too, though a travel size bottle from those little bins in Target/etc. lasts just fine for me. I wash my hair every third day at home (dry/highlighted/very wavy-course hair doesn't need washing every day). But on a cruise, with all the sweating and swimming, I wash daily--and with all that "abuse", my poor hair would just about turn green and fall out if I used the stuff the cruiseline provides :p

My DH and DS use shampoo by the handful. It's very wasteful, but there's no breaking the bad habit. I buy both of them cheap shampoo (Suave, V05, etc), because a large bottle goes so quickly. Personally, I only find it necessary to use a nickle sized amount of my hair, and I buy myself the better stuff since I use it sparingly.

I've given this shampoo lesson before on here, so if you've read it in the past, please bear with me. I have a feeling there are a lot of people doing what you do and will not buy good quality products because of the cost. Let your DH and DS read this.

First off, a good quality professional shampoo or conditioner is more concentrated than the drug store variety, so you don't need more, it's just product down the drain.

Wet your hair, pour no more than a nickel size of shampoo into the palm of your hand and emulsify it between your hands, do not apply the shampoo directly to your scalp. Rinse and repeat if necessary, otherwise one shampoo is plenty. Same goes for conditioner, a little emulsified in your hands, you don't need any on your scalp, just the ends of your hair. I like to squeeze the water out of my hair before applying the conditioner, as hair that is saturated won't absorb as much of the conditioner.

Do all this before washing your bod, so the conditioner has a few minutes to penetrate.

I promise your hair will be just as clean and conditioned with the smaller amount. It is so worth it to use a better product, your hair is your crowning glory, it is what people notice about you first, it is how they describe you to others. So many times people complain they can't replicate the look their stylist gives them and it starts with the right product for your hair. If you're pouring $2.99 shampoo down the drain by the handful, you're possibly spending more than what you would on professional products that are used correctly.

Archived