Caribbean vs. Costa Rica/Panama Canal

SantaAna,CA

May I ask opinions on something? I just looked into a Panama Canal cruise in December of 2008 (I'm already booked on the 14 day Caribbean cruise, December 6-20 on the Pride), and it is $1400 less for me than the two week Caribbean cruise. The single supplement is lower, that's why.

The reason I'm asking is....compared to the Caribbean itineraries, what was anyone's experience of the Panama Canal, and the ports, there? I know I won't be doing very much diving compared to the Caribbean, but I have been to the Caribbean three times on Seabourn. I am wondering if trying a different itinerary is a good idea (and of course, I'll get the formal nights back again!), but giving up the Caribbean, diving, the Pride and seeing other CCers is alot to take into consideration.

My main concern is, was the experience of the Panama Canal/Costa Rica/Belize really special in your opinion? $1400 is a lot of money to me and, after this last cruise, I'm not sure when I'll be able to be on Seabourn again. Would really love to hear from those who have done this cruise. I so highly value your opinions. Thank you!

Jane

I have cruised on Seabourn pretty much everywhere they go (the Far East is coming up in February) and my cruise to Costa Rica and the Panama Canal ranks among my favorites. The excursions are more fun, the rain forest extraordinary and crossing through the Canal is an experience not to be forgotten. To me a Caribbean island is a Caribbean island (granted, I am not a diver) so the choice is a no brainer. And saving some money is icing on the cake, You can put it toward another cruise.

I'm not sure, but some of our diver friends from Grand Cayman used to say there was some great diving on the East coast of Central America--I'm not sure of the area they were talking about, but apparently there were some reefs they liked--you might want to try to get some better info about it! Don

Hi Jane--if you take the canal trip, be sure to read "The Path Between The Seas" by David McCullough--great book about building the canal. Jane BP claims it's to long--so it's over 600 pages--it's still a darn good read and you will enjoy the canal transit much more! She's is not in building canals! Don

Hi Jane,

I did the Panama Canal stopping at Belize a few years ago, and fell in love with Belize. We did the excursion that flew us in a small plane to visit Francis Ford Coppola's resort, Blancaneaux - http://www.blancaneaux.com/ for lunch, wine tasting and a tour of his incredible retreat. It is a resort I would go back to for a week or two with the right person.

The reef off Belize is rated second best in the world, but I don't dive, so I didn't go.

The rain forest in Costa Rica was fabulous, and the zip line tour - 10++++!!!

I agree with Leslie, the zip line tour is out of this world!! Kinda scary at first, but once your "off" its an experience like no other! I believe the tour was called "Canopy Tree Jumping".

I also agree with wripro, a carribean island is just that, where the Panama Canal cruise "feels" alot more exotic! We basically booked the Caribbean Pride cruise because it begins in Barbados and ends in Ft Lauderdale. This way its not a stressful trip to and from the ship.

Host Dan

>"Jane BP claims it's to long--so it's over 600 pages--it's still a darn good read and you will enjoy the canal transit much more! She's is not in building canals!"

I would have read the Cliff notes! I did enjoy a bit of skimming, but found that the commentary during the Canal route was enough for me. <G>

Don, I wanted to let you know I'm reading this book and it's absolutely fascinating. I learned more about the Panama Canal in the first 50 pages than I ever knew in my entire life. I am really enjoying it, thanks so much for the tip.

P.S. I signed up for a Picuare River Rafting tour the day after I get to Costa Rica. Any prayers about not flying out of the boat and getting maimed before the cruise would be much appreciated.....this is from the person who bashed her head on the banana boat in Mayreau!!

Jane :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jane,

It's Lisa in San Diego. I just wanted to say that my first cruise with Seabourn was the Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruise on the Legend. When I was about 16 we did a Christmas cruise on the Royal Viking Sky through the Panama Canal. Even at 16 I found the cruise through the Panama Canal fantastic! I loved see and going through the locks. A little over 30 years later my Mom took me on my first (and definitely not last!) Seabourn cruise. I still found this cruise to be fantastic! Most of the tours we took were great. The zip line tour was awesome!! The rain forest tours were great as well. Only one was a complete disaster -- the tour to Francis Ford Coppola's resort, Blancaneaux. They had the wine tasting and we had the same wine for our lunch. They ran out of the white wine and when Mom asked for another glass they told her they had run out and it wasn't possible to open another bottle -- what??? Another person on the tour asked for chicken on her pizza and was told she couldn't add that even though there was a Caesar salad where you could add the chicken. One couple wanted to purchase the resort's wine glasses and were told they were not for sale. I have to say it is a lovely resort. We were to go to the runway and, by the way, it is a dirt runway, at a specific time to get back onto the plane. We all got to the runway and no plane!! We all waited over 45 minute for the plane to show up. Mind you, it was hot, humid and there was no shade. They kept telling us the plane was almost there. In retrospect, all of us on the tour decided that, despite all the mishaps, it was a fun tour and we all laughed and talked about it through the remainder of our cruise. There are diving tours in Belize but if I remember correctly they are not through Seabourn. If you are starting in Costa Rica and ending up in Ft. Lauderdale (horrible airport and we have vowed to never fly out of there again!!), Belize is the last port you visit and IMHO does not justify in schlepping your diving gear all that way. Jane, I know you love your diving trips. However, if you have never done a cruise through the Panama Canal I know you will love it.

Lisa :)

Lisa how nice to hear from you. Aren't you the gracious lady who gave up her seat in the tender to St. John's so I could make my dive boat departure? I think you are. :)

Well I'm sorry about the rough time at the villa you had and I know exactly how hot and humid it can be standing in the sun with no shade. I'm sure AFTER you got back and got some ice water (and a cool shower!) in retrospect you could laugh about it, but whoaaaaa, not while it's happening!

I have booked that cruise in December and I'm looking forward to it. I'm already 2/3rds of the way through "The Path Between the Seas", which I've found utterly fascinating. And I agree, I'm not taking all my dive equipment with me, although I think I may find some diving in three ports (Roatan is proving tricky, I'm trying to find a dive with the dolphins excursion, not a swim with the dolphins), so I won't have my large bag.

Thank you for saying hello and giving me your report of the cruise. As a bird lover also, I'm looking forward to Costa Rica, where I understand more species of birds are found than anywhere on earth. Wow!

Best wishes,

Jane

Archived