Whale watching - Bar Harbor

EtherlyCC

We are going to Bar Harbour in September on sea Princess and we qould really like to go whale watching as we have heard that this is areally good place to see whales. the ship does do an excursion but I wondered if any one knew of any private tours I could book myself before we get there or if there are numerous trips I could do when I get there. thanks for any information posted.

There are about two or three main big ships that leave out of bar harbor. Doing a private excursion may be hard to set up since the whales are about a 2 hour trip by the big boat so I imagine it would take several more on a small boat. My husband took a private boat about 10 years ago and they were out on the water all day. They saw tons of whales and two almost even knocked the boat over.. pretty crazy. I would stick with the bar harbor whale watching tour, they are pretty good! i would do a google search or check out the bar harbor board. GL

Why don't you just book it through the cruise line? It is the same price as the site given to you in post 3, the cruise line will get you to the ship you are going on, and you get half your money back if you don't see a whale.

If you aren't saving any money, you are better off doing it through the ship so you don't have to worry about the ship waiting for you if the excursion gets back late.

Hi,

I booked a whale watching cruise on the Royal Princess one September and was foiled with heavy fog. Be careful if you chose a private tour, make sure you do not have to pay whether you arrive or not. We only toured the town of Bar Harbour for an hour before the fog started back in again.

We've taken a whale watching tour in Bar Harbor (sans cruise) but it was so long ago I can't remember the company.

What I do remember is that is was fairly pricey, so the ship's version might not be a bad deal, AND the first time we wanted to go was cancelled due to the weather. If the price is comparable, take the ship's version and be safe (and this from someone who usually takes all her tours privately!).

I'll be bringing the Sea Princess to you from England, we'll try to keep in good shape. ;)

We are going to Bar Harbour in September on sea Princess and we qould really like to go whale watching as we have heard that this is areally good place to see whales. the ship does do an excursion but I wondered if any one knew of any private tours I could book myself before we get there or if there are numerous trips I could do when I get there. thanks for any information posted.

Hi, Graeme.

I think the others have provided sage advise about booking thru the ship. The weather is just too chancey.

However, if you want to pursue a private operator, Bar Harbor Whales has a full page ad on the inside back cover of the Bar Harbor brochure.

You might try them at 207-288-2386 for details.

http://www.barharborwhales.com/default.php

Judging by the ad, they're a large scale operator.

They are the only whale watchers with an ad in the brochure, and that's a big, glossy brochure.

So far, I've booked all tours with Princess. In Bar Harbor, The Acadia National Park Drive in the AM, and the afternoon walking tour.

Whew! Just typing that pert near wore me out. :p

BTW - The Princess Shorex brocure is a first class product. In fact, the Grand Tour Bar Harbor looks so good I might change my selections.

P.S. I gave up on our Roll Call, too. Sea Princess folks just aren't roll call type. :confused:

No cruise/excursion advice, but my little sis just got back from camp at Acadia for three weeks. They went whale-watching about a week ago, and lost track at 40-50 sightings. Apparently, a VERY good place to see whales sometimes!

Why don't you just book it through the cruise line? It is the same price as the site given to you in post 3, the cruise line will get you to the ship you are going on, and you get half your money back if you don't see a whale.

If you aren't saving any money, you are better off doing it through the ship so you don't have to worry about the ship waiting for you if the excursion gets back late.

Which cruiseline is offering half of your money back if you don't see a whale?

We're sailing on Royal Caribbean and this is what their website has to say about whale sightings:

"Please note that in the event the whale-watching portion of the tour is cancelled due to weather conditions such a fog, the tour will become a sightseeing and nature cruise. Whales are wild creatures, and as such we cannot guarantee whale sightings."

We booked through Royal Caribbean, but the tour was run through Bar Harbor Whale Watching Company - as was posted earlier in this thread.

We had extremely thick fog and no whales could be seen. We did not get refunds, but the company offers a voucher that is good indefinitely if you don't see any whales on your trip....so if you ever go back to Bar Harbor, you can go whale watching as long as that company is still in business.

After visiting the northeast on our cruise last week, we are definitely interested in returning to some of the areas in a few years. Hopefully we will have better luck with whale watching next time!

Archived