Hotels near Anchorage train station

COJOMAY

Never having been to Anchorage before, I have to catch a train early the NEXT morning to Denali after I get off the cruise ship. I am wondering if anyone can tell me a hotel/motel that is reasonable and within a couple of blocks from the train station in Anchorage. Also, any good eating places nearby.

Just spent 2 nights at the comfort inn ship creek in July. It was clean have free breakfast, free shuttle from airport and they even gave us a free ride to Glacier Brew House. The driver offered to pick us up, but we walked.

I would stay there again

Just spent 2 nights at the comfort inn ship creek in July....... free shuttle from airport and they even gave us a free ride to Glacier Brew House.

Hi,

My wife and I have made reservations at the Comfort Inn for next June. Curious how long it took for the shuttle to pick you up after you called from airport.

How far in advance did you make reservations for the BrewHouse? Had read that there could be a long wait without reservations.

Is it easy to walk to train depot with luggage or do we need to use their shuttle or taxi?

Thanks.

Bruce

I'm a copycat and want to do the same things as Travelbuds (I'm even on the same ship!!)

If anyone could answer the questions, I'd be grateful, too.

Hi Brandee,

Were you able to make arrangements at Comfort Inn? Someplace on CC someone had mentioned to make reservations for BrewHouse at least a week ahead of time.

Bruce

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in June and also took the train to Denali. At their suggestion, we used their shuttle to take our luggage to the train and check in, then walked back for breakfast. Then we walked back to catch the train. It is very close.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in June and also took the train to Denali. At their suggestion, we used their shuttle to take our luggage to the train and check in, then walked back for breakfast. Then we walked back to catch the train. It is very close.

Hi Misha,

Thank you for your response. Were there many trains that went by the Inn, or was it pretty quiet?

Were there many waiting to use the shuttle to the train depot?

How far in advance did you purchase tickets?

How far in advance did you check in for the train?

Were you able to pick the side of the train you wanted?

Looking forward to this vacation!

Thank you,

Bruce

We stayed at Comfort Inn Ship Creek last September. Was very nice. Didn't take a train, but station was very close. Didn't notice any train noise, but we were very excited to be in Alaska, so it would have taken alot to bother us.

Ulu Factory is next door.

When I called for PU from the airport, they told me that they had just left the airport with a large group, & there might be a slight delay. But it seemed that they got there pretty quick.

I was very happy there. Have a great trip

One alternative is a B&B, there are many in ANC. Look at www.tripadvisor.com for traveler ratings. We stayed at the Arctic Fox Inn and highly recommend them. They are a few blocks farther away from the RR station than Comfort Inn, probably a 5-10 minute walk.

Next to Comfort Inn is Ship Creek, you can watch the salmon and the people trying to catch them. Downtown ANC is the only place we saw salmon swimming upstream on our entire trip!

We had a long wait (worth it) at Glacier Brewhouse. Their pagers work anywhere on the city block and there are high-end gift shops and art galleries you can browse. If you don't want to wait, the "bar" area has exactly the same menu and shares the same big room as the dining area. The only difference is the staff.

Have a great trip!

I didn't notice any train noise or actually notice trains going by... It was plenty quiet enough. You just tell them at the desk that you want to use the shuttle in the morning. If there are lots of people, they make several trips. It really is walkable with your luggage on wheels. Yes, check out Ship Creek. They had a salmon tournament going on that was fun to watch and talk to the fishermen. We bought our train tickets 6 months or so in advance. I can't remember exactly how long before the train was that we had to check in.... an hour or so....maybe longer... that's why we went back for breakfast. We weren't able to choose our seats, but were on a domed car, so it didn't make much difference. Enjoy your trip.

Make your reservations at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek as soon as possible. I think you can do it a 364 days in advance. We just stayed there a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I made our reservations for July '08 in August of '07 and we got a good deal. In January, I tried to add another room and found that not only had the prices increased about 30%, but they were now requiring a minimum 2 night stay for the date we needed.

I also made our rental car reservtions for Anchorage that early and got the car for $35 a day instead of $90 a day they were charging for the same car just a few months later. It really pays to make your reservations eary if you can. You can always cance later. - SF

Make your reservations at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek as soon as possible. .... It really pays to make your reservations eary if you can. You can always cancel later. - SF

Hi,

We made our reservations for the Comfort Inn Ship Creek (June 2009) the first day the date became available for $100 including taxes. Now that room is $201.

Bruce

Are you people using Priceline for hotels? Comfort Inn is $200 on Kayak and that's the cheapest I can find right now for 2009.

I don't know what they are doing, but I always wait until after September when they change the summer rates and then you get it for considerably less.

Janice

I don't know what they are doing, but I always wait until after September when they change the summer rates and then you get it for considerably less.

Janice

Makes sense to me Janice. Thanks for your idea. I just read about people booking early so I thought I'd better look at it.

Are you people using Priceline for hotels? Comfort Inn is $200 on Kayak and that's the cheapest I can find right now for 2009.

Hi,

I used comfortinn.com to get our room for $89.99 plus taxes. Our date in June opened up 51 weeks in advance. Had been looking at the end of May 08 for May 09, and was hoping the rates would stay level for the next few weeks into June. And as soon as the date became available at that same rate, we booked it. I didn't see it cheaper at other sites that I checked, so booked directly. Then called directly to confirm. I checked back several days later and it was $200!

I don't know what they are doing, but I always wait until after September when they change the summer rates and then you get it for considerably less. Janice

Hi Janice,

Curious when you would suggest looking for airfares to Alaska for the month of June.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hi Janice,

Curious when you would suggest looking for airfares to Alaska for the month of June.

Thanks,

Bruce

The answer you read and quoted was in regards to hotel rooms. But to answer your question, I don't know the answer. This year with prices of fuel going off the scale, things may be different. I paid $465 from Palm Springs to Vancouver, and Fairbanks back to Palm Springs. I booked in January. I have no idea what is going to happen this year, but since I go to Alaska every year, I start watching airfares in September and when it goes below $500, I book. I doubt it is going to go that low and I probably have enough miles to book at least one of my trips with those. I also get a free companion ticket, so I am only paying half of the fare I get, so that helps when there are two of us going. I have seen it go as high as $850 for the above route when I wasn't watching.

It is anyone's guess how far the prices will drop this year.

Janice

Bookin a flight and getting the lowest fare is always a "crap shoot." I booked as early as I could for my June flight in 2009 simply because I didn't know how much fuel prices would continue to climb. But now it looks like fuel prices are going to be dropping unless there is war between Israel and Iran which is beginning to look more and more like a real possibility. So I would go anead and book early and hope for the best.

Archived