Trip Insurance

300EXPRESS

I just booked our first cruise last week. Now I'm nervous. i think I should of got the insurance that was offered. Is there another option? Can I get insurance through somewhere different? Or is it too late?

With some of the horror stories of missed connecting flights - our schedule could very easily miss the connecting flight. Only 60 min. between flights.

Does anyone have any ideas? We are flying in the night before, scheduled to arrive at midnight in FLL.

Our first port of call is Key West.....maybe this is a good thing.

Thanks! I love this site and I have learned sooo much!

Welcome to CC, 300EXPRESS! If you haven't made your final payment yet, you can likely still obtain insurance via the cruiseline. I would also recommend checking travelguard dot com, or as many others on CC have recommended, go to insuremytrip dot com and do a comparison on different policies. Personally, I highlly recommend having travel insurance, there are many unforeseen circumstances that cause trip cancellations and interruptions, and it also covers you for Medical during the cruise, etc. Have a great cruise! :)

Ok - thanks for your help.

So...now I'm wondering....

I booked cruise separately from air fare, as I had a few free tickets coming. I remember my airline asking if I wanted $35 pp insurance. I thought that was kind of expensive and that is why I opted not.

So...if my plane arrives late, therefore I miss the boat, where do I need to get insurance from - Carnival and something else for delayed air? Please help if you can?

So...if my plane arrives late, therefore I miss the boat, where do I need to get insurance from - Carnival and something else for delayed air? Please help if you can?

You can double check with a Carnival rep, but I believe that their policy covers you if you have a flight delay and miss your ship (it's a ship!). They won't cover the air ticket cost if you were to cancel your cruise for say, a medical reason.

Other policies, such as Travel Guard are trip-cost and age based, so you can add the cost of your cruise and the cost of your air ticket together to obtain full coverage if you go that route. Insurance can be confusing, but just ask the companies where you are considering purchasing your policy from any particular questions you may have.

Another reason for insurance is if you have a medical emergency while on the cruise. The insurance would reimburse you for your expenses.

And another, if a family emergency back home (death, hospitalization of a family member, etc.) forced you to return home early, the insurance would usually cover your expenses.

I'm a financial planner who deal with insurance as part of my practice. If a loss won't devastate you financially, you're better off financially without this insurance. Take 1,000 people, total up all that they pay in premiums and then subtract what they have to pay out, and I'm guessing that they make about 20-30% profit on the premiums. Or, if you take a lifetime worth of travel and if you insured every trip, it's extremely likely that you'll pay more in premiums than you'd ever collect in payouts.

Insure the things that would devastate you financially (life, disability, house fire, auto crash) and, generally, don't insure the little things that won't.

Food for thought.

Archived