Special Occasions Requests & Medical Info

AKBeagleMom

Hello all,

I booked our first cruise last week on the HAL website and I have a question about the last page in the booking. The last section was called "Special Occasions Requests." We're supposed to indicate if this is a honeymoon, anniversary, or vow-renewal cruise. I skipped this part thinking I would come back to it later, and now I can't access that part of the booking.

Does anyone know why HAL wants this information, and how important it is for them to know? I could call and tell them the occasion...but what do they do with that information? Does something special happen?

A similar question came up in the special needs area (it might have been on this same page, I can't remember). This had to do with medical needs. Again, how important is it for them to have this information? For example, if one of us is diabetic, but it's controlled by medication/diet/exercise, do they need to know that? We would not be requesting any sort of extra accommodations (i.e., fridge for insulin, needle disposal, special food, etc.). Is it still imperative that this information be reported to HAL?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I continue to be overwhelmed by the helpfulness of cc's members and the overall awesomeness of this site!

I am not sure about the first part; perhaps others can respond. I would guess that if you plan to keep your celebration private, there would be no need to tell them.

On the other hand, they need to know about any medical needs, equipment you are bringing on board, etc., so the proper arrangements can be made. (For example, when we were checking this out a few years ago, we learned that if someone brings oxygen tanks on board, these have to come from an approved supplier and be shipped directly to the ship. On the other hand, you can bring your own electric oxygen compressor/concentrator on board.) Also in case of an emergency, they need to know about all passengers who would need special assistance to evacuate. If one of you is diabetic and has it under control, there is not much need, but I can imagine that it might be helpful for them to know the total number of diabetic people on board, so that extra medication could be ordered for the lifeboat supplies, if the number of passengers was high for the particular sailing.

I would add for others reading this, if you do have special needs, like the oxygen, or questions about equipment and supplies you are bringing aboard, don't wait for HAL to contact you. Call them, or have your t.a. call, with your questions.

Have a great cruise!

For birthdays and anniversaries HAL provides a small cake free of charge in the dining room and several of the wait staff will sing.

Our TA takes care of this for us -- a couple of times they have forgotten our anniversary and DH's birthday.

Not up on this but I do watch TV and see that Type 2 diabetics have to check their sugar levels once or twice a day?? And I see that you have to prick your finger or arm. What do you do with the lancer (?) after you have done this process?? I don't know if they allow you to place them in the regular garbage can in the bathroom.

For birthdays and anniversaries HAL provides a small cake free of charge in the dining room and several of the wait staff will sing.

Our TA takes care of this for us -- a couple of times they have forgotten our anniversary and DH's birthday.

Not up on this but I do watch TV and see that Type 2 diabetics have to check their sugar levels once or twice a day?? And I see that you have to prick your finger or arm. What do you do with the lancer (?) after you have done this process?? I don't know if they allow you to place them in the regular garbage can in the bathroom.

They provide a "sharps" container for those with a need.

Thanks for all the speedy replies (as usual!).

I won't need a sharps container since my lancet system is totally enclosed.

I think I'll still call HAL tomorrow and give them this information as it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm still debating giving them the other "special occasion" info.

Thanks again for the responses!

CC ROCKS!

If you want to celebrate with a cake and the stewards singing in the dining room for you (Happy Birthday - Happy Anniversary), then by all means you need to tell them the date and that you wish to celebrate with a cake.

If you don't want the cake or the singing, don't say anything.

Thanks for all the speedy replies (as usual!).

I won't need a sharps container since my lancet system is totally enclosed.

I think I'll still call HAL tomorrow and give them this information as it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm still debating giving them the other "special occasion" info.

Thanks again for the responses!

CC ROCKS!

Sorry -- I said lancer instead of lancet -- know little about this stuff.

Let us know what you decide to do about the special occasion infomation.

Archived