Packing Question..help!

JULIA0121

I leave in 32 days, and I feel overwhelmed! I have my spare room full of luggage, cruise clothes, shoes, toiletries, ect ect...Don't know where or how to start?! How many find themselves packing and unpacking several times? What is the first thing I should start with?:confused:

I leave in 32 days, and I feel overwhelmed! I have my spare room full of luggage, cruise clothes, shoes, toiletries, ect ect...Don't know where or how to start?! How many find themselves packing and unpacking several times? What is the first thing I should start with?:confused:

Where are you cruising? Caribbean?

Just remember.... mix and match. Sticking to a color scheme if you can helps that. No one will remember or care if you repeat an outfit. Doing the Carib requires many fewer clothes, as you'll be in swimsuits and coverups a lot of the time.

Remember that you have a weight limitation and save room for souvenier shirts or whatever you bring home.

Like eandj mentioned... colour scheme can be a great benefit... besides the obvious mix and match options, it should cut back on the number of shoes needed. As well, we got into the habit of packing down toiletries, etc. into smaller packages. We hopefully won't need a full box of Advil, etc. thus we would just bring along 10-15, or how ever many we might need. Once we did this for most things, it really added up and saved space and weight... good luck.. you will figure it out..:)

Welcome to my world.

agree, mix and match...

if a top doesn't go with both set of slacks and whatever shorts, it doesn't go. i limit the shoes...1 good pr of walking shoes for excursions, 1 pr tennis shoes for works for on the ship and excursions, 1 pr sandals or beach shoes..1 pr dressy flats for the ship (i don't do heels)

1 bag for excursions...1 small bag for on the ship.

I put everything in piles next to the suitcases--and then, when it's time to actually put things IN the suitcase, I mix it up--if one bag goes missing, we'll still have a bit of something for the both of us!

I still bring all the shoes I want--why limit myself? I'm not into the "carry-on" thing!

I just love the overwhelm factor the month before sailing ! It adds to the excitement. Hope you have a great time.!

Wow, a month out and you are already packing?! I think you have nothing to worry about. My mother packs the night before traveling and always makes me come over and help. I've managed to reduce her clothes from 2 to 1 suitcase, and kept her under the weight limit on her last two european vacations. Here is my system:

1. Suitcase - Look for one that is lightweight yet roomy.

2. Clothes. As others have said, mix and match. Try to find many outfits that go with your most comfortable broken in pair of shoes. Blisters can ruin a vacation, you'll be doing lots of walking and practical shoes are more important than fashion IMO. I try to take two tops for each pair of pants or shirt. When I have all the clothes sorted, try everything on one last time, make sure it goes well, looks good, and is comfortable. That way you don't have to worry about it when you are dressing for dinner on the ship.

3. Accessories and misc. After the clothes are taken care of, I do the same with accessories. Try to find accessories with multipe uses, purses and shoes that can be used with several outfits. Like others said, go through that toiletries bag and make sure you take out any unnecessary weight, put things in snack size baggies and leave bottles at home, or go to the drug store and look for OTC meds in travel sizes - I don't like to take unlabeled meds so when I put them in ziplocs I sometimes photocopy the labels. I'm always amazed at how much junk I accumulate in the toilitries bag over the course of a few trips, so definately clean it out.

That about does it. My favorite accessory is something bright and personal to mark your luggage so it is easy to find on the baggage carousel. Or just by hawaiian print luggage, lol!

I usually take a collapsable hamper to keep my dirty laundry in the room, I also always take a power strip, even when I don't need the extra outlets, I have all my electronics plugged in the same place and that way don't forget my cords.

Archived