Train reservations in advance??

You cannot even make reservations on the local trains to Rome. However, there are a few IC Plus trains each day, and for those you pay twice the price and you must have reservations. No reason to use those IC Plus trains, but thought I should mention that they do exist on this line.

Hank

Good idea. This is the very best wasy to get into Rome. The roads can sometimes be congested. You can in fact get off this train at the S. Pietro station in Rome...very close to the Vatican instead of going to the final Rome Termini Stop.

We are going to try and do Rome "on our own" in August. We are planning on taking the train into Rome. Does anybody know if we need to make reservations in advance for the train or can we just purchase a ticket at the train station?

Agree with everyone else; there are at least 2 commuter trains per hour into Rome (and returning) and you just buy your ticket from the machine or from the ticket window, go out to the correct platform and get on the next one coming through. During rush hour they will be very crowded. But wow, the price is awesome when you compare to what the ship charges for their bus service!

BobK/Orlando

Thank you all for your advice. One other question...my husband and I are in disagreement as to what time we should leave Rome to go back to the ship. Our ship leaves port at 7pm. I'm the worrier and would like to leave around 4pm but he would like to leave at 5pm. Any opinions??

I believe( and stand to be corrected) that your train ticket also give you access to the buses and metro in Rome.

We have done Rome "on our own" from the ship...I've been to Rome before so know the layout of the city...but a good map and you're off !!

I would think getting out at St.Peter's...and doing that and then work your way down into the city would be perfect....the Vatican and St.Peter's is the furthest away(I think).The Colosseum could be your last stop and the metro station is just across the street and that would take you back to the Termini....in time for your 4 p.m.train

Enjoy...

Sharon

Our 4pm train didn't depart Termini until nearly 4:20pm and of course the journey back to Civit is more than an hour duration. Then you still have to walk back to the bus stop and take the bus to the ship. I would not chance anything later than 4-ish.

If you want the roundtrip ticket that includes the Rome Metro and busses, you have to ask for the BIRG ticket. You must purchase that from the ticket window as they don't sell that at the ticket machines. (At least not that I noticed.) The roundtrip ticket for the train only is a bit cheaper. I'd say only purchase the BIRG ticket if you plan to use the Metro or busses 3 times or more. For 1 or 2 trips it's cheaper to just buy individual Metro/Bus tickets.

BobK/Orlando

Archived