Carnival Catamaran Fan-ta-sea?

Grits53

we just returned from the Carnival Victory, and wanted to do this excursion but it was canceled, so we did the sail and snorkle and we loved it. We enjoy the water and snorkeling but even just to sail on the boat would have been really enjoyable. This trip is 3 1/2 hrs, so shorter than the other so still left time to shop and eat in town. If you are concerned about your mom liking it this might work out better because it's not as long-good luck St Kitts is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Although its a different name on Princess its the same tour and it has been changed for our December 08 booking, it says-

PLEASE NOTE: This tour has been modified from the description in the tour book. The beach used in Nevis for lunch sustained damage from Hurricane Omar. The tour has been modified and now returns to St. Kitts, following the snorkeling, for lunch on Cockleshell Beach. :eek:

Well I'm glad its not canceled but wondering if the price should by lowered as we don't get to walk on Nevis. :cool:

we just returned from the Carnival Victory, and wanted to do this excursion but it was canceled, so we did the sail and snorkle and we loved it. We enjoy the water and snorkeling but even just to sail on the boat would have been really enjoyable. This trip is 3 1/2 hrs, so shorter than the other so still left time to shop and eat in town. If you are concerned about your mom liking it this might work out better because it's not as long-good luck St Kitts is beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...
Although its a different name on Princess its the same tour and it has been changed for our December 08 booking, it says-

PLEASE NOTE: This tour has been modified from the description in the tour book. The beach used in Nevis for lunch sustained damage from Hurricane Omar. The tour has been modified and now returns to St. Kitts, following the snorkeling, for lunch on Cockleshell Beach. :eek:

Well I'm glad its not canceled but wondering if the price should by lowered as we don't get to walk on Nevis. :cool:

Went on the sail and was disappointed we didn't go to Nevis. We had some people who had taken the tour before and they said Nevis was much better than Cockleshell Beach. They said the headed to the Four Seasons and hung out. Cockleshell is definitely not the Four Seasons! Lots of shells, women wanted to give you a massage, a giant pig, some monkeys in a cage, nice wavy water, I was a little concerned getting into the water because I saw broken glass on the beach and they took away our shoes on the boat but no one had any cuts getting back on the boat. I found a lovely seafan on the beach that I brought home and some shells. I saw some guy loading up shells into a wheelbarrow and I asked what he was going to do with them...and he said there is too much..too many.

The snorkeling was not that great, (it was not at Cocklebeach) murky, not a ton of fish and there were jellyfish but they were deep, not up high. If you snorkel alot you know that sometimes mother nature can mess up the water. The water was fairly deep where we snorkeled. All said though...we had a great time and I would recommend the tour. It was a great party time! Try a little hot sauce on the chicken!:D

Went on the sail and was disappointed we didn't go to Nevis. We had some people who had taken the tour before and they said Nevis was much better than Cockleshell Beach....

I emailed both companies that do this tour and got a response from the one that runs the Irie Lime (larger of the two cats used - I think which one depends on anticipated size of group):

Pinney's beach was destroyed, the Four Season has closed down until November New Year....So we now go to Reggae beach St. Kitts

Could be that the different companies/boats use different beaches so you might be at either. They didn't say if they expect the beach to be usable next year or not. I don't know if the beach itself is wiped out or if it is just the facility they used to serve lunch that was destroyed.

We've done this trip three times over the years. Snorkeling has varied from just OK to great depending on sea conditions on the days preceding our trip - which in tern effect how clear the water is. Pretty common in most snorkeling areas for it to vary like that. But even when it hasn't been great it has still been worth doing.

I was so looking forward to this excursion but just found out the catamaran doesnt go to Nevis anymore due to a hurricane. I've been reading mixed reviews on the new excursion and really dont know what to do. Any suggestions. Do you think they can repair the beach by April. Probably a stupid question.

Thanks,

Marlene

I was so looking forward to this excursion but just found out the catamaran doesn't go to Nevis anymore due to a hurricane. I've been reading mixed reviews on the new excursion and really don't know what to do. Any suggestions. Do you think they can repair the beach by April. Probably a stupid question.

Thanks,

Marlene

I emailed one of the companies to ask this question directly - if they even know the answer. Also asked them if it is the facilities that are the issue or if the beach has was eroded away by the storm - which would of course take much longer to recover.

Personally - I think it is a great tour and most of the fun was the scenic boat ride itself, the fun on the return trip, the snorkeling and the nice lunch on the beach. The beach itself on Nevis was nice but not outstanding. Bottom line is the change in beach location isn't a major factor for us and I have no hesitation about doing this trip yet again on our cruise next March even if it goes to an alternate beach on St. Kitts.

Thanks lsimon for all the help. PS we are originally from McHenry.

We will be in St. Kitts on a cruise in a couple weeks. Family of 6. You seem to know alot about the island. Any other catamaran companies you would recommend for us to book with? Does Whitehouse area have good snorkeling.I LOVE to snorkel.

Thanks

I'm also bummed out over not getting to see Pinney Beach.

I've read so many pro's and cons regarding Cockleshell that I'm really confused.

From what I've ascertained, it isn't really clean and is overcrowded.

Thinking of changing from the Fan Ta Sea excursion to a less expensive, shorter, snorkeling trip or just going to a better snorkeling beach.

Also, I'm annoyed that Celebrity isn't reducing the cost of this trip due to the change of beaches.

We have done this excursion twice and felt is was worth every penny. Last year we did something different and were pretty underwhelmed. My avitar is of me dancing woth Elvis on The spirit of St Kitts.

The first one is of Calixto, a meber of the St Kitts, Nat'l basketball team. Sorry girls, he has moved on, but what a nice view...eh?

Me and my husband...CREW! They made me sail the cat...what a blast!

The beach on Nevis

Some local fisherman

451824949_Eyecanyready.jpg.43e4436ff80f67e5103b77bb1c14c4d2.jpg

Crew.JPG.ffd738fee07ab1e389b0ea255a574ffc.JPG

266164934_BeachonNevisready.JPG.b2e9fd9c1cff43ad8c953aeb5bdd11ad.JPG

fisherman.jpg.8bb2f4c6e61141424e9a038533b34bc6.jpg

I'm also bummed out over not getting to see Pinney Beach.

I've read so many pro's and cons regarding Cockleshell that I'm really confused.

From what I've ascertained, it isn't really clean and is overcrowded.

Thinking of changing from the Fan Ta Sea excursion to a less expensive, shorter, snorkeling trip or just going to a better snorkeling beach.

Also, I'm annoyed that Celebrity isn't reducing the cost of this trip due to the change of beaches.

Hmmm...Your post got me thinking a bit so I searched for info on this board for Cockleshell beach. Sounds pretty nice to me!!! I think the only "crowds" there will be your catamaran group. Trips sounds as good as ever as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just curious what you read that said otherwise?

Instead of booking thru the cruiseline has anybody here ever used the Tour store? Any problems or differences ?

I would love to try it. Last time all the cats were booked to the ships. This time when we go we will be the only ship in port for the day, so there might be a chance of booking sep. from the cruise line excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

Jusr back from Miracle 12/23 sailing, and did this tour. Had a great time, even though the weather was not cooperative. Crew was a lot of fun, and the whole boat was dancing the whole way back to the pier. One of the best excursions ever!

Reading someone else's post about dancing with Elvis brought back such fond memories ... :rolleyes:

I did this excursion for the first time when I rented a condo with some friends for a week in St. Kitts. Then, because we had such a great time, when I cruised to St. Kitts a couple of years ago, I made my husband do the same excursion. Again, one of the best times ever! The snorkel part is just so/so I suppose if you are a dedicated expert level snorkeler but it's the ENTIRE experience that makes it worthwhile: the entertainment from the crew sailing out to the snorkel destination, the party on the beach (and I don't think it really matters WHICH beach you end up at because they all have some beauty if you open your eyes to it), and then the high energy dancing/party on the trip back to your ship.

If you miss the chance to book this excursion, you can be sure everyone you talk to on your ship who did it will be sure to tell you what a great time you missed!! :p

Just beware - due to hurricane damage, the Nevis beach they were originally going to lunch at was severly damaged. Instead, we ate on the boat (great, delicious food) and then used Cockleshell beach. At that point, the sun finally broke out, so all was well. (we snorkled in a tropical rainstorm) On the way back to port, we again hit another storm - it was so cool watching ourselves sail into it. Danced our way thru it, never missing a beat. Crew was outstanding, and earned every dollar this expensive excursion cost. We would do this excursion again.

Just beware - due to hurricane damage, the Nevis beach they were originally going to lunch at was severly damaged. Instead, we ate on the boat (great, delicious food) and then used Cockleshell beach. At that point, the sun finally broke out, so all was well. (we snorkled in a tropical rainstorm) On the way back to port, we again hit another storm - it was so cool watching ourselves sail into it. Danced our way thru it, never missing a beat. Crew was outstanding, and earned every dollar this expensive excursion cost. We would do this excursion again.

Pe4all-Fan-ta-sea???? How many would you say are on this catamaran? Is there a net you can lay on for sun? Did you book on the ship or ahead? I called carnival today they thought it would be ok to wait til I board the ship instead of paying for everyone in my group. What is your opion pay now or wait? Thanks again!

Pe4all-Fan-ta-sea???? How many would you say are on this catamaran? Is there a net you can lay on for sun? Did you book on the ship or ahead? I called carnival today they thought it would be ok to wait til I board the ship instead of paying for everyone in my group. What is your opion pay now or wait? Thanks again!

I've taken this three times. Two were at the end of March and were on a large cat with maybe 40+ people. Once was in mid February on a slightly smaller cat with maybe 25 to 30 people. The smaller one was slightly nicer and a little less crowded. Just guessing at the head count. Both had nice netting for laying in the sun without much problem getting space up front. I have pictures of all three with my pictures link below (March 04; Feb 07 and March 07)

Several years ago on an Alaskan cruise a few excursions we procrastinated on were sold out - ever since then we've booked ahead figuring better safe than sorry. I don't know if this sells out or not but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Archived