anyone cruise recently w/presc. meds on International flights?

Anyone recently fly International out of the U.S. with presc meds? I am SOOOO confused:confused: by all I hear. First I hear, it is no biggie to put in carry on. Then I hear they HAVE to be in original marked bottles AND a letter/list from your Dr listing all meds, dosages etc...

I will be carrying 11:eek: presc meds. Insurance dictates that I do the three month fill thru the mail. That means I receive HUGE bottles for each presc. HOW do you do this??? It is the one thing that is still REALLY stressing me out!

Thanks!!!

Anyone recently fly International out of the U.S. with presc meds? I am SOOOO confused:confused: by all I hear. First I hear, it is no biggie to put in carry on. Then I hear they HAVE to be in original marked bottles AND a letter/list from your Dr listing all meds, dosages etc...

I will be carrying 11:eek: presc meds. Insurance dictates that I do the three month fill thru the mail. That means I receive HUGE bottles for each presc. HOW do you do this??? It is the one thing that is still REALLY stressing me out!

Thanks!!!

Carried them on in original containers. No problems. Have a great cruise!

Can you ask your pharmacist for smaller, labeled bottles??? Just a thought, but it never hurts to ask. As far as bringing them in carry-ons, we just flew with my parents who brought all of their meds as carry-on. No problem and no one really even looked at them. Hope this helps.

Not saying it won't happen, but we've never had anyone look at the meds in our carryons. I have 6 different prescriptions I carry. I just put them in ziplocks in the original bottles.Never have taken a list with me as my name is on each bottle.

The suggestion to have the pharmacist give you smaller bottles with the information on them is a good one.

My wife takes about 5 prescription meds each day plus has a couple of others she takes only when needed. She always takes her meds in the medicine organizers with a separate compartment for each day. We've never had anyone want to look in that to see what she has.

I would tell you that if you have to take any narcotic medications, such as oxycontin, for chronic pain, I would probably carry a copy of your doctor's prescription just so you can prove that they are prescribed for you.

Just bring the RX's in the bottles they come in. Unless you are transporting TONS of narcotics, they don't bat an eye. it's not a problem. BUT--do bring them in your carry-on bag or purse--do NOT check Rx's!!!! The chance of losing them (along with your luggage) is too great!

I'll just reiterate what others have said. We flew to England in April. I have 3 prescriptions. Took all of them in the original bottles and in my carry on luggage. I had no problems. I was screened at Heathrow coming home, but the screener was more focused on my camera (no pun intended ;)). Didn't even look at the bottles.

I ALWAYS carry on my meds, although I've only got 3. If you can't get smaller labeled bottles, I would separate and label each on your own. Try to get a printout of your prescriptions - I order through Medco, and I'm almost positive you can do this online. Otherwise, maybe your doctor can write a note. I would not try to carry the original bottles - 11 x 3 months is a lot!

We just returned from Venice. We carried our med. in old prescription bottles...in other words, without labels...just dumped them in a couple of old bottles, threw them in my carry-on and had no problem in either direction. They went through the scanners without even a pause. We did put anything liquid in 3 oz. bottles and into a ziplock bag and toss them into the basket at security. We always do it this way.

Flew to Santiago, Chile in March and home from Lisbon, Portugal in April. Had no problem and my husband is diabetic........and nothing was said about the lancets that he brought along. He does, however, keep a note from his doctor in his passport stating that he is diabetic.

I did have our pharmacist make us smaller bottles for our prescriptions and it worked out very well and took up less space.

Just pack em and have a wonderful cruise.:)

Archived