Island Princess Hawaii 2004/2005 Itinerary

Pilgrim Pete

Our cruise itinerary for the 2/18/05 sailing to Hawaii on the Island Princess is still showing arrival in Hilo at 8:00 and departing from Lahaina at 6:00 but I have read on these boards that these times have been subject to change on recent sailings to Hawaii resulting in significantly less time being spent on the Islands ( 3 hours on the Big Island). Does anyone have new information?

Our cruise itinerary for the 2/18/05 sailing to Hawaii on the Island Princess is still showing arrival in Hilo at 8:00 and departing from Lahaina at 6:00 but I have read on these boards that these times have been subject to change on recent sailings to Hawaii resulting in significantly less time being spent on the Islands ( 3 hours on the Big Island). Does anyone have new information?

Did you go into your cruise personalizer, for the itinerary. That's where you will find the change?

No one knows why the hours have changed. Can't get any info.

Minette

Cruise Personalizer now shows the revised times. Looks like we have been robbed of 5 hours on the Islands. Ahhhh.

On our Dec. cruise, we lose 3 hrs. in Hilo, now get in at 11AM. Last day on Kauai, we depart an hr. earlier, at 5PM. This is really lousy, as you don't have enough time on the islands as it is. Worst of all, Princess gives no explanation of why they did this.

Minette

We'll arrive in Hilo on Christmas Day. This is the stop we were looking forward to the most. Hubby went to high school near Hilo, in Pahoa, and we'll be seeng his old school, home, friends, etc. that day. Sure wish we were going to be there as long as originally planned. Oh well - When cruising you learn to roll with the punches.

But what a disappointment! Blah.

Taters

Cruise Personalizer now shows the revised times. Looks like we have been robbed of 5 hours on the Islands. Ahhhh.

We were a bit miffed at having the times cut down, especially as we are travelling so far. Princess aren't very forthcoming with a reason, but that doesn't make it any easier.

One thing to keep in mind is that it could be the availability of dock space and that Princess might not have a say. As for Lahaina, which is a tender port, I know from our experience that the harbormaster has the last say. Our tenders were delayed by almost an hour and a half because the harbormaster stopped them from running due to harbor traffic.

Something else to be aware of is that it's not unusual to have to miss one or more ports due to weather. Particularly the tender ports. When we were there in late April, the cruise before ours was the first one in quite a while to stop at all five ports. Some cruises missed two ports.

Hopefully, you won't miss any and no matter what, this is a fabulous cruise.

On our March 5th cruise none of the times docking or leaving has changed (yet). Hilo still shows 8am-6pm. They have not changed on our personalizer since I booked it.

You're lucky.

I would still keep a watch on it, as a lot of 2005 cruises have been changed already.

Minette

We are booked on March 20,2005 sailing, have not heard of any changes in the time on the islands.

We are on your cruise too and the cruise personaliser has details of the changes and Princess have also written to us advising of the new times in port.

• 5 weeks later...

We are on the Feb 3 2005 Island Princess and had time in Maui cut down and also just found out that our 1 hour Ensenada time is now 4 hours. I called Princess and an under informed and less than enthusiastic person there tried to tell me that those times were the original times. I finally convinced the cruiseline rep that they were wrong and that times had changed. I was put on hold and when they came back I was informed that the reason for the changes were "operational reasons". Gee...I never considered that. WOW - I now totally understand the reasons for the changes and I feel SO much better now. I'm so enlightened and will gladly give up extra time in Paradise so that Princess can have their "operational reasons". When I asked if we would be allowed off the ship now in Ensenada...once again, I was put on hold and when the VERY helpful cruiseline rep returned, I was told that we would be allowed off the ship to "walk around" and that IF the cruiseline would offer shore excursions that we would be told about them while onboard.

So, good luck and here's hoping that our limited time on the Islands aren't cutback even more.

The Change must be permanent...as my 2006 itinerary is as follows:

DATE DESTINATION ARRIVAL DEPARTURE

Feb 05 2006 LOS ANGELES 05:00PM

Feb 06 2006 AT SEA

Feb 07 2006 AT SEA

Feb 08 2006 AT SEA

Feb 09 2006 AT SEA

Feb 10 2006 HILO 11:00AM 06:00PM

Feb 11 2006 KONA 08:00AM 06:00PM

Feb 12 2006 KAUAI 08:00AM 06:00PM

Feb 13 2006 HONOLULU 08:00AM 11:00PM

Feb 14 2006 LAHAINA 08:00AM 04:00PM

Feb 15 2006 AT SEA

Feb 16 2006 AT SEA

Feb 17 2006 AT SEA

Feb 18 2006 AT SEA

Feb 19 2006 ENSENADA 04:00PM 08:00PM

Feb 20 2006 LOS ANGELES 06:00AM

The 2/3/2005 sailing still lists us as Kona first 9-7 and then Hilo 8-6. I think I can understand why cruises in the more distant future has changes but it just seems that they wouldn't be making changes on cruises that have already made their final payments. I'm just so looking forward to our cruise and find it frustrating that I find out about changes by reading things on these boards. TA or Princess haven't kept us informed at all.

Archived