Tahiti ONLY or Hawaii/Tahiti

carfac

Hi:

Next year is my 20th anniversary. When we got married, we were supposed to honeymoon on Bora Bora, but life sort of got in the way. So, for our twentieth, I am going to make it up to her. I should also point out I am a bit of a jerk of a husband- I like to plan vacations w/o telling her what we are doing... just surprise her. So while I know she would like either of these, I do not want to ask her which would be best.

S I am looking at two cruises for next Sept/Oct. Both are on the same ship (Pacific Princess), so no real consideration there. One is an eleven day Hawaii (3 islands) and Tahiti, the other is the ten day Tahiti only. Either one we would probably pick up an extra 2/3 days, either on Moorea or Ohau.

So anyone have any advice for one over the other? Honestly, I could do either.

Thanks!

Dave

I agree with Pacific Sandy. Spend all your time in French Polynesia. My husband and I have done 2 Tahiti cruises, and one Tahiti/Hawaii. While the T/H cruise was wonderful, after Tahiti, Hawaii seemed like a let down. We wished that we had started in Hawaii and ended in Tahiti instead of the other way around. We are headed back to Tahiti next July on the Paul Gauguin. We can't wait. Whichever cruise you chose - I'm sure that you will love it.

Linda :-)

We vacation in Hawaii at least two times a year. Personally I would never cruise the Hawaiian islands unless it is your first time visiting and you just want to get a taste of what the islands have to offer.

With that being said, I would definetly cruise French Polynesia. We just got back from a ten day and already booked again for next year. My husband just kept asking me why we went to Hawaii instead of Bora Bora for our honeymoon 16 years ago. It is amazing there and you need to spend all 10 days there. Do a pre-stay on Moorea or Bora Bora!! We stayed on Moorea and fell in love with the island!

I agree with everyone else. I've done a 10 day T/H only on Renaissance, plus a Hawaii to Tahiti (with Xmas Island in between) on the Crown Odyssey. The 10 day crusie in Tahiti was much nicer. Two years ago we did a cruise from LA to Hawaii only and back and it doesn't compare to French Polynesia. We just booked a 9 day Christmas cruise for 2009 on the Paul Gauguin with a two day post stay in Tahiti and can't wait.

As much as we LOVE Hawaii, for this special occasion I would choose Bora Bora or Moorea - then Hawaii for a future celebration! Congratulations, and have a wonderful trip to wherever you choose.

As much as we LOVE Hawaii, for this special occasion I would choose Bora Bora or Moorea - then Hawaii for a future celebration! Congratulations, and have a wonderful trip to wherever you choose.

We have done both, several times, and to be honest, I don't know which one we preferred more.

One thing we did like about the Hawaii to Tahiti cruise, we did it B2B Hawaii/Tahiti/Hawaii the second time. PERFECT. No long long flights or last day without a stateroom to call home on that one.

But I am positive, whichever you choose, she will be thrilled to pieces. :)

Wow- I was not expecting it to be so one sided! Thanks for helping me make up my mind! We have done some of Hawaii before, but she has never been to Kauai or the Big Island, and I thought that might be nice. But we have also done Roratonga and Atutaki (Cook Islands) land only, and LOVED that. And I think that is the "magic" I want on this cruise.

I was a little put off by the cruise having two days at the beginning and end in Pappeete (sp), seems like a waste. I would DEFINITELY spend an extra 2-3 days on Moorea.

Once, I convinced my wife I had a business meeting in LA. I told her she could go if she wanted to, but did not have to. She asked if he could stay by the pool during the meetings. I told her sure, but she would have to dress up at night for dinners with my business partners. So she went. My fiend picked us up at LAX to take us to the business meeting, and on our way, we went through Long Beach- just to see what was happening there. We stopped at one of the cruise ships, and my friend started tossing Lisa's bags out of the car. She asked what was going on. I told her there was NO business meeting, we were on a cruise for a week. She had the perfect clothes packed- pool and dress up. I was a hero, and all my guy friends hate me for being so creative! I do stuff like that all the time. Took her to France for 3 weeks for our tenth anniversary, she had no idea, either!

Thanks- would love to hear any other comments on the islands- we are scuba certified and LOVE to dive!

Dave

Hello...

Having recently returned from my first (but not last) trip to Tahiti and having gone to Hawaii at least twice a year for the last 40+ years (fairly inexpensive from Calif), I couldn't believe what I'd been missing by never trying Tahiti.

I would definitely pick Tahiti for the special trip. We spent a week on Bora Bora before doing a week on the Paul Gauguin and if felt like a perfect balance. I DO like being able to go in and out of the water at will.

My vote goes for Tahiti for a VERY special occasion. Enjoy and congratulations whatever you decide.

murphysmum;)

I'll simply say how much we LOVED our Tahiti to Hawaii trip last year on the Tahitian Princess. The only issue is that you need to like sea days (which we love) because it's a five-day journey from French Polynesia to Hawaii with only a 4-hour stop at Christmas Island in the middle. But, I'd do that voyage again at any time!!!

TAHITI !!!!!!!

I also agree that Hawaii is great--but not on a cruise

Enjoy Bora Bora--we always go pre cruise and stay at the IT Bora Bora

We've taken the T/A cruise 3 times in 2 years--

Have fun and safe travels

Nancy:D

If you have the time you might consider the RT from San Diego that HAL does. It is a 30 day cruise that does the Hawaiian Islands and then French Polynesia. It is a wonderful cruise and we have done it twice and leave again next month.

Check it out.

Archived