Upgrade at Port?

Gr8Mariner

We were able to purchase an upgrade to a category "A" on the Statendam some years ago. We boarded early for a function and left our name with the front desk. We were very surprised when we were called later in the evening and told that a cabin with verandah was available for purchase. I believe it was back in 1993.

From what I have gathered through these boards and from some pax I met on board, trying to upgrade at the pier is no bargain. If there was availability the cost was sky high. Why Hal does this, I can't answer. If you want the upgrade do it ahead of time, you will more than likely pay less. :)

Last April I met a couple that wanted to stay on the ship and go up to Baltimore from Ft. Lauderdale. We only had about 125 staying on board. When they enquired about it the price was sky high.

Also on this cruie I was waiting on some VCRs at the front desk and a couple of people were trying to upgrade. There was some availability but again, the prices were high. I believe most of these people were looking for a free upgrade. None of them took the upgrade.

There doesn't seem to be a consistent policy for terminal upgrades. Maybe it's just that policies have changed over the years but reading here I've seen people report "buying" upgrades for everything from a nominal charge to paying the full difference between their booked category and the upgrade category. And this doesn't even address the folks that are upgraded for free months, weeks, or days before the cruise or at the terminal. What seems to be more consistent lately is that HAL is sailing so full that there are not many upgrades to be had for free or at any cost.

Originally Posted by Gizmo

Last April I met a couple that wanted to stay on the ship and go up to Baltimore from Ft. Lauderdale. We only had about 125 staying on board. When they enquired about it the price was sky high.

Gizmo, we never could get the Ft. Lauderdale leg for under $300 per person. We had been trying for months. Our last hope was on board, with so few going to Baltimore, they might offer us a deal (say $150 pp) but it was higher than the original quote.:D The hazzard of booking so far out.

While I upgraded on other lines with great success (got the biggest suite on Vision of the Seas for $800, starting from a Verandah!), I guess I'll just pay the difference now. I'm with a large group on Ryndam 10/30 and we could really use the Penthouse.

Yeah, that's because I snagged it.

It cost a pretty penny, but I'll have 50 people with me...and who knows how many friends by the end of the week.

It's not as exciting as the one on Vision (with a grand piano) or the NCL Sky (with a private hot tub on the verandah), but it will do.

Bons Voyages, everyone!

Archived