Anyone recently back from Alaskan Cruise?

Mellowtraveler

My wife and I just returned from Millinennium 7/25-8/1 and we got within 1800' of Hubbard Glacier. This was our experrience last year as well aboard RCI Radiance.

Thanks for your reply. We were there in Oct. of 06 and we had no problems getting in our out. Was there alot of ice in the water still?

Thanks.

Marty

Hi

We have just left the Millenium today and I am in a hotel in Vancouver writing this before we fly home tomorrow.

We did a b2b leaving 25 July and we got to within third of a mile or closer on both visits but there was more ice on the first trip.

We got there around 8am and coming back it was about 3ish in the afternoon and very grey but still fantastic.

If you have not arranged your tour in Ketchikan...the crabfisherma boat tour aka the deadliest catch is the best tour we have been on. Genuine people trying to get the tour a sucess and I only wish I could go on it again.

Hope this helps with the glacier query

Mellowtraveler: We were on the Mercury out of Vancouver on July 20. We got to within 600 yrds of the glacier which is the closest they can go by law. It was the 1st time this season we were told they had been in so close. Weather was overcast, drizzle, foggy. We had drizzle in Juneau & rain in Sitka. Ketchican was suuny & we were told on the 2nd day of sunshine since cruise season started.

We were on the Mercury out of Vancouver on July 20. We got to within 600 yrds of the glacier which is the closest they can go by law. It was the 1st time this season we were told they had been in so close.

You were lucky! I was on Mercury's cruise of July 6-13 and we got not much closer than the entrance to Yakutat Bay. There were lots of ice in the water. We had to peer at the glacier through binoculars. I'll be on that ship again next month and am really looking forward to being much nearer the glacier.

Donald.

Thank you all for your input. We will be sailing on Aug. 15th. I will post again when we get back as to how close we are able to get. Last trip we were very close. This time we are taking the grown kids....and we have our fingers crossed that we will be able to get up close.

We had hoped by booking in August our chances of getting close would be better than earlier in the season, but from what I have been reading it is one of the coldest summers on record in Alaska.

Happy Sailing to all,

Marty

Just got off the Mercury Aug 3-10 and had a great time. First port was Ketchikan, was sunny and warm (for a change), Juneau, raining, Hubbard Glacier, overcast with some sun at times, wasn't very cold. Got up real close to the Glacier. Sitka overcast with some light rain. We had such a great time. Was hard to leave the ship. So many activities, there wasn't any time to sleep.

Just got off the Mercury Aug 3-10 and had a great time. First port was Ketchikan, was sunny and warm (for a change), Juneau, raining, Hubbard Glacier, overcast with some sun at times, wasn't very cold. Got up real close to the Glacier. Sitka overcast with some light rain. We had such a great time. Was hard to leave the ship. So many activities, there wasn't any time to sleep.

Hi Karen, welcome home:) and glad you had such a great

cruise:D Are you going to writing a review for us?

Hey Mellow,

We were on Mille's 070408 sailing and got less then 1000 yds to the glacier. Good visibility and action on the glacier. See the whole story-http://cruisethesea.blogspot.com/

or check out the pix:

http://picasaweb.google.com/markdegennaro/Mille070408Alaska

Hope your time is as good as ours was.

Best,

Mark

Hey Mellow,

We were on Mille's 070408 sailing and got less then 1000 yds to the glacier. Good visibility and action on the glacier. See the whole story-http://cruisethesea.blogspot.com/

or check out the pix:

Best,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the link to your pictures:).

They are absolutely fantastic and it looks like you had

an awesome cruise:D

I'm also just back from Mercury Aug 3 - 10 with Karen (hi Karen!). We got pretty close to the glacier and then they popped out on the tender and brought some ice back. I've posted some pictures of the glacier here - look about half way down the page. We had a great time. I'll try to do a review soon.

:) Thank you everyone for all the updates. The pictures are wonderful...I can't wait to have some of my own.

Hi Lois,

We met last year on the Mercury PNW b2b. Looks like you have a busy cruise schedule.

We sail this Friday. My kids called last night to warn me that there is a heat wave due to hit Seattle this week. It will be in the mid-high 80's. We live in Eureka,CA. and we are very acclimated to the cool coastal summers (highs never get above the mid 70's).

Happy sailing to all.............

Marty

:) Thank you everyone for all the updates. The pictures are wonderful...I can't wait to have some of my own.

Hi Lois,

We met last year on the Mercury PNW b2b. Looks like you have a busy cruise schedule.

We sail this Friday. My kids called last night to warn me that there is a heat wave due to hit Seattle this week. It will be in the mid-high 80's. We live in Eureka,CA. and we are very acclimated to the cool coastal summers (highs never get above the mid 70's).

Marty

Hey Mellow,

or check out the pix:

Best,

Mark

Mark, could you tell me where you all got those great looking yellow windbreakers from. My DH and I are leaving for an Alaskan cruise in Sept. and would love to have something similar for our trip. Thanx, Barb

Hi Lois,

Marty

Hi Marty, nice to see you again:) I have 2 cruises scheduled

so not real busy;)

Mercury next month:D and then back on Galaxy in January:)

Nothing else after that at this point.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Archived