Advice for a Sun-Challenged couple?

elbojpb

My wife and I are planning our first cruise next Spring ... 25th anniversary. Problem is, she's a sun worshipper, and my very pale skin can't tolerate much sun exposure. Her ideal vacation is a week at the beach, mine is a week in Alaska.

We're quite active, in above average shape, don't drink alcohol and really don't enjoy tons of adolescents around (anymore).

Any ideas/recommendations for destinations, ships, activities, etc. for a couple of newbies? Thanks in advance.

How about Europe? The weather in the Med is gorgeous in early May; Not too hot, not too cold and the sights are unforgettable. A lot of cruiselines have a Venice/Barcelona trip that hits Italy, Croatia, Greece, France and Spain. We've done 4 European cruises and that one has been our favorite.......(They were all wonderful, though!)

My wife and I are planning our first cruise next Spring ... 25th anniversary. Problem is, she's a sun worshipper, and my very pale skin can't tolerate much sun exposure. Her ideal vacation is a week at the beach, mine is a week in Alaska.

We're quite active, in above average shape, don't drink alcohol and really don't enjoy tons of adolescents around (anymore).

Any ideas/recommendations for destinations, ships, activities, etc. for a couple of newbies? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Saw an interesting cruise that may be of interest to you...11 days round trip from Miami to the Western Caribbean on RCCL's Jewel of the Seas including a partial transit of the Panama Canal and the ports include two of the better beach ports, Aruba and Grand Cayman for your wife, and also visits Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. This cruise is reasonably priced for a very nice ship. The ship departs Miami on April 13, 2009. RCCL is an excellent cruise line overall in terms of their cruise product.

Another idea is to look at cruises round trip from the West Coast to Hawaii as these cruises are really very nice and will give both you and your wife a wonderful time. Celebrity's Mercury, for example, will go to Hawaii round trip from San Diego (one of the very best cruise ports in the entire world) 15 days round trip, departing on March 15,2009. There is a lot to see and do in Hawaii and your wife will really enjoy going to the beaches on Kauai, Maui, and Oahu. And these beaches have shaded places where you can stay out of the sun. The Mercury is an excellent ship and the price of this cruise is nicely priced.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

I have to same issue except in reverse. My BF is brown as a bug and enjoys anything in the sun, and I am VERY white and freckled and prefer the shade and air conditioning. We have learned to compromise, and I have learned that they sell SPF 80 sunscreen.

How about a Southern Caribbean on Celebrity. Take an itinerary where there are points of interest for both sun and nonsun people. On sea days, you'll find shady areas to just read or people watch while your wife suns. Or you might find some of the on board activities to your liking while she's out turning into the tanned godess!

We are similar to you and your wife. My husband wears a great hat when we're at the ports and applies lotion that works just fine. Especially since it's your anniversary trip, you both want to be happy. Preplanning what you'll do at each port will help too. That way you each know you will get something that you especially like to do.

You can get sunburned in Alaska - sun reflecting off water, snow, and ice.

I'm pale myself, and just slather on the screenscreen and reapply on long excursions. At the beach (not my favorite venue) I sit in the shade or under an umbrella or covered bar.

Roz

There are repositioning cruises from Alaska/Br.Columbia to Mexico and beyond. HAL's Ryndam has a cruise that goes from Victoria/Vancouver to San Diego, then several Mexican west coast ports. If you have time, there are similar cruises that depart the Pacific Northwest and go through the Panama Canal to the Caribbean/Florida.

I would say places that have warm climates where she can sit out on deck. That would include places such as the Mediterranean, Western Mexico, or Caribbean or Bermuda. You can sit under an area that has shade.

We try to avoid the sun as much as possible given the health issues and do not sit out there yet we cruise often so it's no big deal either way on a cruise ship for those who enjoy the sun and those who don't want to sit out.

Keith

You can sit under an area that has shade.
On most beaches, I'll plant an umbrella, and she'll tan just outside the shadow {yeah I know ... it's mushy, but we're still very much in love}. Is that arrangement available or possible on a ship's deck?

BTW - Thanks to all for your very helpful tips.

On most beaches, I'll plant an umbrella, and she'll tan just outside the shadow {yeah I know ... it's mushy, but we're still very much in love}. Is that arrangement available or possible on a ship's deck?

BTW - Thanks to all for your very helpful tips.

Each ship has a slightly different configuration but you should be able to sit at a table with say an umbrella and your wife could sit on a lounge chair adjacent to you.

Keith

Bullfrog sunscreen is supposed to be really good. Also, Aveeno (I think) has one with an SPF 80. Just apply it every hour; make sure you get the tops of your feet, ears, neck, etc. We live in FL and hate to see tourist frying in the sun.

I don't tan--I turn pretty much purple, then it all peels off and I'm as pale as I was when I started. To avoid this, I wore a very loose-fitting cotton button-down shirt with the sleeves just barely rolled up and a sarong or beach pants over my bathing suit, lots of sunscreen, and a hat. I don't wear my bathing suit by itself ever--if I'm swimming, I wear a t-shirt and shorts. I didn't get even a tiny bit burned and was much more comfortable than some other toasted passengers I saw!

Archived