Quick Question

Hello!

I hope someone can help me. I know there is a family forum board here and I've looked on there, but I also had a quick question specifically for people traveling with children under 3 years of age on Royal Caribbean.

My husband and I are just TOYING with the idea of cruising next year with our son who will be about two and a half at the time. Because he will be under three, he will obviously not be able to be in the children's programs and I'd like to think that he will be potty trained...but who knows and if he isn't he won't be able to go into any of the pools- something I can't understand with the invention of swim diapers. I also know that there's a Fisher Price program that I haven't read really good reviews of so far.

My question is- if you've gone and paid several hundred dollars, have you felt cheated or unhappy about it? Now, we are not new to cruising. We love it and in fact on our October 2006 cruise on the Explorer...we'll let's just say our son is the best souvenir from that cruise!! Many people say bring a nanny/grandparent, etc. so you can enjoy the cruise more, but we have to save a lot just to take one a year (if that). I don't mean we are putting our vacations on credit cards and can't afford them, but we don't have a lot of extra money to spend. I know many kids are on these cruises and probably most of these toddlers have been on more than me in their short lives!

So in a nutshell, if they are under three and their meals consist mostly of cheerios, hotdogs and yogurt and can't be in a program (which I agree they shouldn't have to accept kids that young in the program) or swim if they aren't potty trained, why are they paying such a high rate- and how do parents that have taken them feel about it?

I'm not saying it's wrong, just wandering. Maybe there are great perks that I'm overlooking and maybe I shouldn't worry about because he'll be close to the age soon after where all of our other future cruises will be more advantageous for him, just a little rambling thought!

Thanks!

It's great that you know what the rules are ahead of time and can prepare yourself for the event with the knowledge of what you can and cannot do with a child.

The reason you would bring your child along will simply be to enjoy his company. If all the things you list that he cannot do are very important to you, it would probably be best for you to wait another 6 months to cruise.

You do have to understand the cruise fare does not break down to a bit of food and the kids programs. Those costs are minimal in comparison to the other cost involved to run a cruise ship. The fare is for transportation on the ship, this involves fuel, staff, maintenance and so much more.

The fare is the same per soul, regardless of the age or size, not based on the amount of food, the size of their bed or the entertainment they enjoy onboard. If that were the case, I should get a discount like you may want for your 3 year old, I never go to the show, bingo, napkin folding classes (well, OK, once) and we never go into the pool.

Swim diapers don't contain the contents of feces, the particles float right out. I can't understand the invention of them at all, they are quite useless. They don't allow diapered children in because they don't want to have to drain the pool, disinfect it nor potentially expose the rest of the pax to the bacteria in feces. It has nothing to do with pee, I'm sure many kids and some adults just pee in the pool.

But...you really should go to the family forum here and read about how others enjoy their little ones on a cruise. There is no way I object to little kids on a cruise and I'm in no way a child hater, to me that is just silly. The staff and crew will love your little one and you will have some good times with him and make some wonderful memories. Just not in the pool and you won't have the benefit of adult time with the kid in the program.

I do completely understand what you are saying, but in an adult case, they don't say you can't do something because you are not a certain age- as they do in the case of children under three. Obviously, teens can't drink, but that is true of anywhere if you are underage. I was just simply thinking that if a whole new world opens up for them at three, then in my opinion, there should be a discounted price to them before that age.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Perhaps you may want to rethink the "cruise idea" for your next vacation. Not to dampen your desire to take your child of 3 and have him/her experience a world of new sites and sounds - however, my DD and DS, ages 28 and 26 respectively - don't remember a thing about our Disney

World vacation when they were 5 and 3 !!!! Perhaps an all-inclusive to

one of the islands where your child could certainly enjoy the ocean and

hopefully "nanny services" for some time alone with spouse would

be a more enjoyable trip this time. (Also, I am sure the "third person" costs would be nowhere near what you would pay on a cruise). JMO.:)

I do completely understand what you are saying, but in an adult case, they don't say you can't do something because you are not a certain age- as they do in the case of children under three. Obviously, teens can't drink, but that is true of anywhere if you are underage. I was just simply thinking that if a whole new world opens up for them at three, then in my opinion, there should be a discounted price to them before that age.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Except for the fact that they are taking the headcount of a person who will drink and gamble and shop.

Thanks again for all of your opinions. No, I don't think the cruise will have some long-lasting impression on our toddler. Once again, it just seems odd to me that the price is the same when there are things they are NOT allowed to do. As one of you stated, there are options that we don't all take advantage of- so we shouldn't get a discount, but these are things that he would NOT be allowed to do, not just choose not to do.

We live in driving distance of Philly, Baltimore & Cape Liberty, so without flying, cruising is actually economical. We've been on three others- all Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, so switching lines might not be the best either with some of the past cruiser perks and credits that you get for being loyal.

By the way- I'm hoping he will be potty trained so don't get your dander up! LOL

I believe the invention of swimm diapers was to eliminate the heavy, drooping, sagging effect that occurs when regular disposable diapers get wet. They are more comfortable for the wearer, but not any safer as far as leakage goes.

A comment on the Aqua-tots (Fisher-Price) program. It is about an hour of play with Fisher- Price toys and a member of the childrens' program present. Our 23 month old GD had a great time. A parent or adult care-giver must attend with the child. There are not a lot of activities for the under 3 set, so this should factor into your decision. If you decide to go, have fun!

Thanks again for all of your opinions. No, I don't think the cruise will have some long-lasting impression on our toddler. Once again, it just seems odd to me that the price is the same when there are things they are NOT allowed to do. As one of you stated, there are options that we don't all take advantage of- so we shouldn't get a discount, but these are things that he would NOT be allowed to do, not just choose not to do.

We live in driving distance of Philly, Baltimore & Cape Liberty, so without flying, cruising is actually economical. We've been on three others- all Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, so switching lines might not be the best either with some of the past cruiser perks and credits that you get for being loyal.

By the way- I'm hoping he will be potty trained so don't get your dander up! LOL

I believe the rule is 3 AND potty trained, not 3 OR potty trained.

Yes, I know that the rule is 3 and potty trained. I get a lot of pamphlets and parenting magazines - and no I'm not some 'I have to read every book and magazine out there' - you just start getting these things in the mail and a lot of them say cruising is a good family vacation- even for parents with very young children. My point I guess that I've been trying to make all along is maybe they should put a little more thought or energy into the young children's programs if they are going to charge full price. Someone mentioned before that they are taking a head count from someone that would drink, shop and gamble. I'm not really a drinker or gambler, so should I pay more? I'm not in any way a tightwad, it's just not my thing. There are countless threads on here of how to smuggle liquor in and I'm not speaking ill of them. I'm just saying, they can't assume that every adult that comes on the ship is going to drink, gamble and shop and they can't ask or tell them they have to spend a certain amount while on board. They can also assume that a two year old is not going to order 3 steaks a night either- so that goes both ways. Yes, I'm aware the cruise line is a business and they have to make money, yada, yada, yada. Every time you turn around there is some new amenity or gimick (which I like and I'm not putting down), why not put a little thought into their youngest passengers. I'm sure that if they consulted some young child experts, they could come up with something.

Again, we're only thinking about doing this because we absolutely love cruising and only have good things to say about RCI and Celebrity. So many seem like they have to defend the lines. I agree that they are great and am looking forward to going back to it. Our little one is a great traveler and has also been to Oklahoma by train and we're renting a house on the beach this year because we thought he was just too young this year.

Every person on a ship is considered "a soul", and is accounted for the same way by the cruiseline. It doesn't matter whether they use all or none of the amenities and services the ship offers--the cruiseline is responsible for that "soul".

There are some cruiselines that charge less for kids, but RCI isn't one of them. Their ship--their rules!

Yes, I know that the rule is 3 and potty trained. I get a lot of pamphlets and parenting magazines - and no I'm not some 'I have to read every book and magazine out there' - you just start getting these things in the mail and a lot of them say cruising is a good family vacation- even for parents with very young children. My point I guess that I've been trying to make all along is maybe they should put a little more thought or energy into the young children's programs if they are going to charge full price. Someone mentioned before that they are taking a head count from someone that would drink, shop and gamble. I'm not really a drinker or gambler, so should I pay more? I'm not in any way a tightwad, it's just not my thing. There are countless threads on here of how to smuggle liquor in and I'm not speaking ill of them. I'm just saying, they can't assume that every adult that comes on the ship is going to drink, gamble and shop and they can't ask or tell them they have to spend a certain amount while on board. They can also assume that a two year old is not going to order 3 steaks a night either- so that goes both ways. Yes, I'm aware the cruise line is a business and they have to make money, yada, yada, yada. Every time you turn around there is some new amenity or gimick (which I like and I'm not putting down), why not put a little thought into their youngest passengers. I'm sure that if they consulted some young child experts, they could come up with something.

Again, we're only thinking about doing this because we absolutely love cruising and only have good things to say about RCI and Celebrity. So many seem like they have to defend the lines. I agree that they are great and am looking forward to going back to it. Our little one is a great traveler and has also been to Oklahoma by train and we're renting a house on the beach this year because we thought he was just too young this year.

Please think in terms of litigation. They will not permit their staff to change a diaper, and why is that? Because someone may accuse them of molestation. They cannot allowed non potty trained children in the pool because they may have an accident that would cause the pool to have to be drained and cleaned, thereby rendering it useless for two or more days.

Why can't you just wait until your child is 3?

You pose a decent question- one that I actually asked my self and was the real reason that I originally started this. Unfortunately for me, no one that has any experience cruising with children under three lately has given me a response. I never really meant for this to be a reason for people to defend the cruise line's "why" it is like this. I simply wanted to know what people did with their small children that the kids enjoyed and if they were satisfied with what was available to them. To this end, in my opinion, and we might as well just agree to disagree - and that is fine - what would be wrong with the cruise line adding a few things for the babies/toddlers. They don't have to be in a pool, but what about a little sprinkler area that they can stand at, arranged story time with a staff member, a cartoon about the sea or cruising - or even if you are under three, 1 free hour or baby sitting/day. That could even be a coupon that they only include to past passengers in the book - anything that says, 'This is the way it is, it's our rule, BUT we do value your business and would like to give you this little added perk. So yes, I could wait until my son is three, but they could also meet somewhere in the middle. I don't think that anything that I stated above is beyond their means. Central Park can be on a ship now, but not anything for a two year old besides some Fisher Price toys?

The funny part about many of these posts is the swim diapers. OK, we all agree they might not be the most sanitary diapers- and to me it's not a big deal because if it was only that he couldn't go in the pool without being potty trained, that would be fine. My husband and I were in the pool once on our last 9 day cruise and my son doesn't have to be in the pool at all. However, if you think just because small children aren't in the pool there is no urine (or worse) in there...let's just say, I'm not so sure!

Archived