For all you champagne lovers

My DH and I will be on AOS 8/31 for our 25th anniversary and I want to surprise him with bottle of champagne in our stateroom. Problem is we are not big drinkers and I have NO idea what kind to order--maybe something that has a slight sweet taste???

RCI choices are: Korbel Brut, Mumm Cordon Rouge, Moet and Chandon and Domaine Chandon. I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

I think MOET is a good choice. The AOS in the Champagne bar offers a 10 drink champagne card for about $45.00, and there is about 10 different types of champagne drinks you can choose from. Pretty good deal if you like champagne drinks.

My DH and I will be on AOS 8/31 for our 25th anniversary and I want to surprise him with bottle of champagne in our stateroom. Problem is we are not big drinkers and I have NO idea what kind to order--maybe something that has a slight sweet taste???

Pick up a bottle of Veuve Clicquot yellow label from the Champagne bar.

Btw, all the champagnes you're going to get will be pretty dry. If you want sweet champagne, I suggest ordering (or picking up) a couple champagne cocktails from the champagne bar instead.

Korbel is a cheap wine, don't bother. If you go the bottle route, don't get anything cheaper than the Mumm.

RCI choices are: Korbel Brut, Mumm Cordon Rouge, Moet and Chandon and Domaine Chandon. I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

If you are not big drinkers, you won't know the difference.

Get the Korbel Brut.

Maybe they have a discriminating palate and have yet to discover it. :p Took me decades to figure out what I like in a wine, and that's still changing.

When I was young, and just finding out about wine, I thought that Liebfraumilch or Mateus were fantastic. :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

When I was young, and just finding out about wine, I thought that Liebfraumilch or Mateus were fantastic. :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Now that I have your attention, let me ask you. What wines you do drink off the wine list?

I'm asking cause I redeemed some points and essentially picked up 10 bottles of free wine from the diamond package. I've earmarked 7 or 8 bottles so far, but I'm curious what you like to drink.

On my last cruise, there was a couple that had a wine and dine package, were drinking 1+ bottles each night. I was floored cause they ordered the same wine each time, a cab. While I can see people who drink only reds, I can't fathom people drinking same wine no matter what.

Now that I have your attention, let me ask you. What wines you do drink off the wine list?

I'm asking cause I redeemed some points and essentially picked up 10 bottles of free wine from the diamond package. I've earmarked 7 or 8 bottles so far, but I'm curious what you like to drink.

On my last cruise, there was a couple that had a wine and dine package, were drinking 1+ bottles each night. I was floored cause they ordered the same wine each time, a cab. While I can see people who drink only reds, I can't fathom people drinking same wine no matter what.

Well, I can no longer remember names of wines..........CRS. A dirty little secret that they don't tell you about when you are a teen! :D

I follow Jean's (critterchick) advice, and it's been working.

Cheap wines are marked up 4x to 5x retail. Higher priced (and better) wines are only marked up 2x to 2 1/2 x. Stick with bottles in the upper ranges. You will actually get better bang for your bucks.

And always use your 20% off Diamond coupon. :D

Go for the Yellow Label - much nicer than Moet - and much more special - hence the price !

Well, while I'm on a roll here..........

I think that Veuve Clicquot is highly overrated, and is coasting on its so-called reputation.

For my money, Moet et Chandon is a better bubbly.

:)

Well, while I'm on a roll here..........

I think that Veuve Clicquot is highly overrated, and is coasting on its so-called reputation.

It took me a long time to like champagne. Veuve Clicquot was one of the first I found that didn't have that nasty bitter taste (Taittinger was another).

For my money, Moet et Chandon is a better bubbly.

Moet's not bad. The nectar ones are sweeter like the OP wanted.

I would hate to see how much it costs on the ship. It's not cheap on land so he markup must be a killer.

$77 to $80 on the ship. I can find a bottle of yellow label for around $43-45 at my local liquor store.

I unfortunately don't know much about champagne, other than I enjoy drinking it. But I do have a suggestion. Since you are not drinkers and don't know if you will enjoy the champagne, unless you can do some tasting at the champagne bar ahead of time...... why don't you try a bottle of Asti Spumanti. No, it is not champagne but it is definitely sweeter, you still get to "pop" the cork and it is still bubbly. I would think that you might actually enjoy this. I know that they have Martini and Rossi Asti Spumanti, which would probably be just fine. I really don't know what the ship price is since I just order the bottles and have DH keep signing the slips. I really think that this would be nice for your special occasion. It is my favorite poolside beverage since I don't like foo, foo drinks.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

If you are not a big champagne drinker, and want something on the sweet side, you will like asti spumante. Also, as another poster said the Martini and Rossi brand is nice, not overly sweet like some other asti's tend to be.

We'll be hitting the champagne bar for some Yellow Label for sure! Thats why we booked cabins on deck 4 on Enchantment.......we're only steps away from all that bubbly!!!!!!!

Cheers!:)

I think MOET is a good choice. The AOS in the Champagne bar offers a 10 drink champagne card for about $45.00, and there is about 10 different types of champagne drinks you can choose from. Pretty good deal if you like champagne drinks.

oh, wow, do you know if the LOS offers this as well?

p.s. Asti most def :D

I don't drink it any more, but Martini and Rossi Asti Spumanti is always the answer for someone wanting a nice bubbly that doesn't have the palate for a dry wine while on a cruise. The Moet Necktar is a wonderful wine, but for 3 to 5 times the price... what is the point when you really won't appreciate the difference.

I love champagne, and sparkling wine. Real champagne is a political thing, and it must come from Eppernay or Reims France, anything else even if it is the exact same can not be called champagne. This enables those producers to maintain a very high price by limiting their competition. I still love champagne, but there are so many other producers around the world that make excellent sparkling wine. We spent 3 weeks in the Canary Islands and Spain a couple of years ago. We were going into the local store and buying Spanish cava for 2 euros a bottle or less for a non export brand. It was not the Grand Dame from Tattinger, but damn at 2 euros a bottle it was wonderful! Our group of 6 bought it by the case and drank it for breakfast, lunch and cocktail time. Ahh the memories... to me there is no buzz as nice as a good champagne buzz, it is the one thing I can drink to excess without a bad headache.:D

jc

Here is another vote for Martini and Rossi. It is what we use for all celebrations. I believe the last bottle we purchased on board was in the $35.00 range. Try it before you sail. You can get it about anywhere, including the grocery store for about $14.00 a bottle. The price increase should not be shocking considering you are purchasing it on board.

Happy Sailing to You.

I can get it here in Chicago at the discount liquor store for $36. RCCL's going price for a bottle is around $70? That's a huge markup. I think I will get a champagne card and make several trips to the champagne bar.

Leslie

The Asti Spumanti suggestion is a good one, given that you prefer sweeter. And don't forget to order the chocolate covered strawberries to go with what ever you choose! If you have a bottle of champagne delivered, consider enjoying the remainder of it the next morning with some o.j....for a nice mimosa! Happy 25th anniversary!

Archived