For all you champagne lovers

I can get it here in Chicago at the discount liquor store for $36. RCCL's going price for a bottle is around $70? That's a huge markup. I think I will get a champagne card and make several trips to the champagne bar.

Leslie

I have never purchased the card, but somehow I don't think they are going to be selling the widow for 4.50 a glass. Sam's club around here is the cheapest local provider and it is about $42 per bottle, which means it is about $9 a glass. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that you will be drinking Spanish Cava for $4.50 a glass with the champagne card. :D The really sad thing about the Spanish Cava that they tend to serve at the free champagne oppurtunities is not the excellent brand I found while in the Canary Islands! :D

jc

Pick up a bottle of Veuve Clicquot yellow label from the Champagne bar.

I second this quote.

You can buy it by the bottle at the champagne bar and they will label it and keep it for you if you dont drink the whole bottle at once. We did this on the Navigator. We would go to the champagne bar have a drink before dinner and then they will cork it and keep it for you.

Although you are not champage drinkers you still want the effect so to toast your anniversary I would go with the Korbel Brut. If you can find one of those champagne keeper caps before the cruise take it along and save the leftovers for mimosa's the next morning! One of my favourite things to do with leftover champagne.

Kathy:)

We recently hosted a champagne tasting at our house. We had 4. Taittinger, Gloria Ferrer, a cheap French and an Italian Prosecco. The people that drink good champagne all the time, placed the Taittinger 1st and a very close 2nd to the California one that was half the price. If you love sweet like my husband does, the Prosecco was very well received, I would equate that with the Asti.

If you want a decent "sparkling" I'd go for the California - Domain Chandon, a great sparkling wine at half the cost of the french and not as dry.

I am planning to order the Wine & Dine package on the Explorer in Dec. I have always liked Asti - sweet and bubbly. But they don't offer Asti in the Wine & Dine package. So I did my own taste test - bought a bottle of Korbel Brut and a bottle of Asti - and had a great time drinking the two bottles with another couple.:p

Anyway, we both decided the Asti won. So we're going to buy the Wine & Dine package and use our platinum C&A B1G1 15% off coupon to buy the Asti.

When I was young, and just finding out about wine, I thought that Liebfraumilch or Mateus were fantastic. :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

OK you got the imported stuff. I remember Boones Farm and Lambrusco.

To the OP - you can try some of the lower priced 'champagnes' and see what you like.

Go for the Yellow Label - much nicer than Moet - and much more special - hence the price !

Yup! I agree...it's one of my faves! I also like Pierre Jouet, but I don't think they have it on the ships.

If you really want something sweeter, try an Asti Spumante if they have it. It is also festive! ;)

Now that I have your attention, let me ask you. What wines you do drink off the wine list?

I'm asking cause I redeemed some points and essentially picked up 10 bottles of free wine from the diamond package. I've earmarked 7 or 8 bottles so far, but I'm curious what you like to drink.

On my last cruise, there was a couple that had a wine and dine package, were drinking 1+ bottles each night. I was floored cause they ordered the same wine each time, a cab. While I can see people who drink only reds, I can't fathom people drinking same wine no matter what.

We had the merlot one night and it was a bit dry for my taste which runs more toward white wines anyway. Since we stuck to seafood most of the time we ordered white zin for two of our five bottles and the riesling for the other two. Both very good.

Jakie

I thought RCI still let you bring on your own wine? If so, get the Asti - good for those who do not like dry champagnes. And yes, any champagne/sparkling wine will go well with the chocolate covered strawberries. The mark up on champagne is pretty bad. On land a bottle of Veuve Cliquot is about $38... and I think it was something like three times that on the ship (could be wrong, might just be double). Veuve would be my choice.

Although you are not champage drinkers you still want the effect so to toast your anniversary I would go with the Korbel Brut. If you can find one of those champagne keeper caps before the cruise take it along and save the leftovers for mimosa's the next morning! One of my favourite things to do with leftover champagne.

Kathy:)

Leftover champagne, Kathy?

What's that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I thought RCI still let you bring on your own wine? If so, get the Asti - good for those who do not like dry champagnes. And yes, any champagne/sparkling wine will go well with the chocolate covered strawberries. The mark up on champagne is pretty bad. On land a bottle of Veuve Cliquot is about $38... and I think it was something like three times that on the ship (could be wrong, might just be double). Veuve would be my choice.

Hell, no, Matt. ;) :)

RC says NO bringing of ANY alcohol on the ship. That includes wine.

In that case the OP has to go for the Moet & Chandon Nectar Imperial.That will be a good choice for sure.

Can you bring champagne i.s.o. wine onboard?

You cannot bring any alcohol on board.

I think MOET is a good choice. The AOS in the Champagne bar offers a 10 drink champagne card for about $45.00, and there is about 10 different types of champagne drinks you can choose from. Pretty good deal if you like champagne drinks.

Only the Adventure and the Explorer still have the Champagne card. The champagne that this gets you, whether alone or in a cocktail is Korbel. (It was $50 last summer on the EOS)

I can get it here in Chicago at the discount liquor store for $36. RCCL's going price for a bottle is around $70? That's a huge markup. I think I will get a champagne card and make several trips to the champagne bar.

Leslie

Leslie, seriously? 100% markup is LOW LOW LOW. What do you expect? That Royal Caribbean is going to give it to you?

We have always enjoyed Chandon...............it's also what we serve for champagne at our cabin functions. :)

Rick

And I was unable to come last cruise!:(

I remember taking a couple of bottles of sparkling off the wine and dine list to John and Corrine last sight of land balcony party. I remember upgrading from Gold to Platinum because they suppossedly had the Argyle Brut sparkling from Oregon on the list, and they substituted a cheap Spanish Cava... O, well. The English bloke that I teased about looking like Sir Alfred Hitchcock didn't seem to mind that it wasn't a true champagne! :D

jc<---- loves champagne, especially when Rick is buying!;)

For my 2 cents, Korbel----bleeach! Try anything else.

For a yummy champagne drink, try a Kir Royale. It combines a bit of creme de casis (a black currant liquer) and champagne. Mmmm, mmmm, good.

Or a French Martini....champagne and chambord...yummy!

For my 2 cents, Korbel----bleeach! Try anything else.

For a yummy champagne drink, try a Kir Royale. It combines a bit of creme de casis (a black currant liquer) and champagne. Mmmm, mmmm, good.

Or, if you are cheap (;)), just order a Kir. It's creme de cassis with white wine. :)

Archived