Tricks to avoid wrinkles?

jlc22043

Dry cleaner bags, lots and lots of dry cleaner bags to keep items separated.

Fold everything carefully and make sure you use the tie downs to make sure the stuff in you bags don't shift.

ITA with the post above about using dry cleaner bags. Works for me with my long dress pants, nice blouses, formals from getting wrinkles. Also...the bags will give your clothes extra protection from 'accident's that might happen in the airport/cruise ship as your luggage (if made out of cloth)is being transported from getting wet.

DH rolls his polo shirts up and uses dry cleaner bags on his dockers and suit.

I don't know if I will be able to explain this, but I read it someplace about 6 months ago and tried it, and it actually did seem to help (plus I do keep anything that has been dry-cleaned in the plastic bag!)....

This is a sort of take on rolling your clothes, but a bit different, and really only works well if you are going to be going to one hotel or ship for a while and unpacking your suitcase...it would be horrendous to try and "live out of your suitcase" when it's packed this way....

You open up the suitcase completely. Lay your first garment in the bottom of the case, with any excess laying OUTSIDE of the suitcase on the 3 o'clock side. the next garment, you lay on top of the first garment but with it's excess laying at the 6 o'clock side. The third garment you lay on top of the 2nd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 9 o'clock side of the case. The fourth garment you lay on top of the 3rd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 12 o'clock side of the case. Then you continue laying piece after piece alternating the excess clockwise around the outside of the bag, until all pieces are "partially" packed (their excess hanging out over the four sides). Then you begin folding the excess into the bag, one "excess" piece at a time, clockwise.

What you end up with is sort of a great big elongated "cube" of clothes (the "cube" being the size of the bag's inside dimensions). The theory behind this, I am told, is that the main cause of wrinkles in packed clothes is that they shift around and do not remain nice and flat the way they started out. But that folding the clothes over themselves in this way prevents them from shifting...plus the thickness of the clothes creates the "roll" effect when layed over, rather than smaller creases of one piece of clothing folded individually.

The method of which you speak is called the "bundle" method. If you google "packing techniques for travel" there are websites listed which show demonstrations and/or diagrams with explanation. One demo is from independent traveler(also on u tube). Remember, you don't have to use their products when you use this method(they mention using "Bagolini" travel organizer) just use your own version. I just used this method of packing last month and it worked like a charm. Even the most delicate and worrisome fabrics turned out beautifully. Just make sure you straighten each piece well when you pack. You won''t bellieve how many pieces you can fit. To some it may look complicated, but it is very simple. :)

My DW retired her iron a number of years ago when she found wrinkle release:D

We have a travel bag with misc. stuff in it since we take a lot of intra state trips and the first thing she checks before we leave is for the wrinkle release.

I never travel without the Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I've even sprayed it on clothes after I put them on and it helps. And I use it at home also -it beats ironing.

Pat

ME EITHER! for some reason most all button down mens shirts wrinkle easy in a suitcase or a car ride for that matter! I keep one in my car so when I get got i spray the back of my shirt I hate my back looking like i dont iron lol! It is the miracle botox in a bottle for most clothes!

The method of which you speak is called the "bundle" method. If you google "packing techniques for travel" there are websites listed which show demonstrations and/or diagrams with explanation. One demo is from independent traveler(also on u tube). Remember, you don't have to use their products when you use this method(they mention using "Bagolini" travel organizer) just use your own version. I just used this method of packing last month and it worked like a charm. Even the most delicate and worrisome fabrics turned out beautifully. Just make sure you straighten each piece well when you pack. You won''t bellieve how many pieces you can fit. To some it may look complicated, but it is very simple. :)

I do alot of traveling for work and have tried everything out there. I tried this 'bundle" method on my cruise last year and it worked beautifully. I had no wrinkled clothes. I explained to my mother how to do it but she didn't do it. So while she was in the cabin spraying all her clothes with the downy I was on the balcony sipping my glass of wine.:D

How I do it is: I lay my smallest items on the bed (shirts, shorts, etc) crossing them in different directions. Then lay your medium items, then lay your lager items ontop of each other. After I have all my clothes layed out on the bed I get a core object (ziplock baggie filled with undergarments or a box of wine:eek:) and lay the core object in the middle of the clothes. I then start folding the clothes over my core object. After you have all your clothes folded over the core object you end up with a nice little square looking parcel. Put the bundle in your suitcase and strap it down. When you unpack, no wrinkles and you have a nice little surprise in the middle after your done unwrapping your little package.:)

When I first read about this last year on CC I thought it was alot of trouble but it really isnt and it really works.

me either! For some reason most all button down mens shirts wrinkle easy in a suitcase or a car ride for that matter! I keep one in my car so when i get got i spray the back of my shirt i hate my back looking like i dont iron lol! It is the miracle botox in a bottle for most clothes!

right on!!!

I don't know if I will be able to explain this, but I read it someplace about 6 months ago and tried it, and it actually did seem to help (plus I do keep anything that has been dry-cleaned in the plastic bag!)....

This is a sort of take on rolling your clothes, but a bit different, and really only works well if you are going to be going to one hotel or ship for a while and unpacking your suitcase...it would be horrendous to try and "live out of your suitcase" when it's packed this way....

You open up the suitcase completely. Lay your first garment in the bottom of the case, with any excess laying OUTSIDE of the suitcase on the 3 o'clock side. the next garment, you lay on top of the first garment but with it's excess laying at the 6 o'clock side. The third garment you lay on top of the 2nd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 9 o'clock side of the case. The fourth garment you lay on top of the 3rd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 12 o'clock side of the case. Then you continue laying piece after piece alternating the excess clockwise around the outside of the bag, until all pieces are "partially" packed (their excess hanging out over the four sides). Then you begin folding the excess into the bag, one "excess" piece at a time, clockwise.

What you end up with is sort of a great big elongated "cube" of clothes (the "cube" being the size of the bag's inside dimensions). The theory behind this, I am told, is that the main cause of wrinkles in packed clothes is that they shift around and do not remain nice and flat the way they started out. But that folding the clothes over themselves in this way prevents them from shifting...plus the thickness of the clothes creates the "roll" effect when layed over, rather than smaller creases of one piece of clothing folded individually.

Just read about this yesterday. Sounds like it really works. Going to use on a long cruise in May.

i could give two rats if my clothes are wrinkled.. i'm on vacation.........:p

AMEN to that!

Unless you are getting once in a lifetime formal pictures, who cares?

Also, I am by no means a tree hugger but using the steamy shower method, without taking a shower is a waste of resources.

I used this packing method last summer on our cruise and was able to get all my clothes for 5 days in my carry-on rolling suitcase. Other accessories I packed in a larger joint suitcase with my husband. I wasn't worried about wrinkles. We were flying in, and I did not want to check my clothes on the plane or on the ship, because I am a plus size and if I did not have my luggage it would have been very difficult to find clothes to buy on the ship or in the port. I worried about this for a long time until I found this packing method and was able to pack a lot more in my carry-on than using the usual method.

- iron clothes at home and then roll them while hot (I always do this- it works pretty well, unless the items are prone to wrinkles like certain dresses etc.)

- hang them up in the bathroom during a hot shower

-downy wrinkle release

-send them to be ironed with laundry services (I am too cheap for this :p)

-on your first day on the boat, go to laundry services and iron everything yourself (I was told you can use the iron for free)- this is what I'll be doing

-ask room steward to borrow an iron and iron them in your room

Have fun on your cruise!!!

I have a question. When using the "clock" method do you keep the clothes on their hangers?

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'd like to know for sure.:confused:

Thanks

Anybody know??

Archived