Tricks to avoid wrinkles?

jlc22043

Does anyone have tips or tricks to get the least amount of wrinkles in our clothes when packing?

I was skeptical when it was suggested to me, but rolling your clothes really does seem to cut down on wrinkles and takes up less space in your suitcase.

You know what?! I have found that if I leave the clothes that were dry cleaned in their bags while I'm putting them in the suitcase - they appear to be the least wrinkled of all of our clothes!! :) Just thought I'd share!

Dry cleaner bags, lots and lots of dry cleaner bags to keep items separated.

Fold everything carefully and make sure you use the tie downs to make sure the stuff in you bags don't shift.

HAHA! We must have been typing at the same time! :D

Rolling your clothes helps some.

You can try downy wrinkle release (botox for clothes) and a hand held travel steamer. They are small and are about 20 bucks at Wal Mart.

Hahahah...I like the "botox for clothes". I've heard about that stuff on this board but wondered how well it worked. I own several steamers and have brought them on cruises with me in the past but I was very disappointed with them, so I decided to leave them behind this time.

Hahahah...I like the "botox for clothes". I've heard about that stuff on this board but wondered how well it worked. I own several steamers and have brought them on cruises with me in the past but I was very disappointed with them, so I decided to leave them behind this time.

I have a little obsession with our iron......it's so bad I am known to iron my jeans !! LOL !!!

On our cruise I didn't think I could make it w/o my iron, but I read everyone talk about the Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I went to Target on our way to the ship and bought a little sample size of it.....IT'S LIKE MAGIC IN A BOTTLE !!! I would hang out the dress that I wanted to wear that evening in the morning and spray the wrinkle release on it, and a couple of hours later...VOILA !! No wrinkles what so ever !!!!! :)

We've used wrinkle releaser and it works great on synthetics, and okay for cottons. Hanging your clothes in the bathroom while taking a shower helps, too, if you remember to hang them up for the next day. And don't forget, wrinkles are indeed a fact of life on a cruise, so don't be too worried, you're not alone!;)

I don't know if I will be able to explain this, but I read it someplace about 6 months ago and tried it, and it actually did seem to help (plus I do keep anything that has been dry-cleaned in the plastic bag!)....

This is a sort of take on rolling your clothes, but a bit different, and really only works well if you are going to be going to one hotel or ship for a while and unpacking your suitcase...it would be horrendous to try and "live out of your suitcase" when it's packed this way....

You open up the suitcase completely. Lay your first garment in the bottom of the case, with any excess laying OUTSIDE of the suitcase on the 3 o'clock side. the next garment, you lay on top of the first garment but with it's excess laying at the 6 o'clock side. The third garment you lay on top of the 2nd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 9 o'clock side of the case. The fourth garment you lay on top of the 3rd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 12 o'clock side of the case. Then you continue laying piece after piece alternating the excess clockwise around the outside of the bag, until all pieces are "partially" packed (their excess hanging out over the four sides). Then you begin folding the excess into the bag, one "excess" piece at a time, clockwise.

What you end up with is sort of a great big elongated "cube" of clothes (the "cube" being the size of the bag's inside dimensions). The theory behind this, I am told, is that the main cause of wrinkles in packed clothes is that they shift around and do not remain nice and flat the way they started out. But that folding the clothes over themselves in this way prevents them from shifting...plus the thickness of the clothes creates the "roll" effect when layed over, rather than smaller creases of one piece of clothing folded individually.

I have a few rituals depending on the type of garment.

DH shirts stay on the hanger, folded in half across the chest and layed in the bottom of suitcase.

Next, all slacks and shorts are folded in half with a layer of tissue paper inside and layered into the suitcase.

Next, all my good clothes are on hangers in dry cleaner bags and placed on top of the last two layers.

Lastly, I take a beach towel and lay it across the top for the final layer.

Having most things on hangers inside the suitcase makes for fast and easy unpacking. I don't use the tissue or dry cleaner bags on the way home...it leaves more room for purchases.

Eat every meal that is served on the ship. Order seconds at each of those meals. That will stretch the wrinkles out of your clothes....................................AND your skin!:eek::D

The "fold around the clock" method sounds interesting.

Dan

I have a little obsession with our iron......it's so bad I am known to iron my jeans !! LOL !!!

I did not realize ironing jeans was considered an option. I thought it was standard--or so it is for me. :)

Even my Sweats get ironed---and when packing, I iron pajamas....so JEANS don't seem unusual to me at all! :rolleyes: (Everything but the undies gets ironed)

Carefully fold everything, making sure that the folds are clean, sharp and neat.

Put as many items as possible in 1 and 2 gallon ziplock bags, press the air out before sealing. Don't crowd them. 1 or 2 items in a bag would probably be ideal.

Put the most wrinkle-resistant items on the bottom of the suitcase (on top of the shoes), then built up from there with the most vulnerable on top. Use the straps in your suitcase, strap it down tight making sure the top articles don't have any folded or wrinkled spots underneath the strap.

Most important, have a "cruise wardrobe". Buy only those items that need no ironing. Shop carefully for these items and reserve them only for cruises.

I don't know if I will be able to explain this, but I read it someplace about 6 months ago and tried it, and it actually did seem to help (plus I do keep anything that has been dry-cleaned in the plastic bag!)....

This is a sort of take on rolling your clothes, but a bit different, and really only works well if you are going to be going to one hotel or ship for a while and unpacking your suitcase...it would be horrendous to try and "live out of your suitcase" when it's packed this way....

You open up the suitcase completely. Lay your first garment in the bottom of the case, with any excess laying OUTSIDE of the suitcase on the 3 o'clock side. the next garment, you lay on top of the first garment but with it's excess laying at the 6 o'clock side. The third garment you lay on top of the 2nd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 9 o'clock side of the case. The fourth garment you lay on top of the 3rd garment, but with its excess laying out at the 12 o'clock side of the case. Then you continue laying piece after piece alternating the excess clockwise around the outside of the bag, until all pieces are "partially" packed (their excess hanging out over the four sides). Then you begin folding the excess into the bag, one "excess" piece at a time, clockwise.

What you end up with is sort of a great big elongated "cube" of clothes (the "cube" being the size of the bag's inside dimensions). The theory behind this, I am told, is that the main cause of wrinkles in packed clothes is that they shift around and do not remain nice and flat the way they started out. But that folding the clothes over themselves in this way prevents them from shifting...plus the thickness of the clothes creates the "roll" effect when layed over, rather than smaller creases of one piece of clothing folded individually.

I read about this method a couple of years ago and tried it on a recent trip. It actually does work very well! I also take along a bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release.

After the holiday season I buy a couple of packs of tissue paper that always seems to be on sale then and use that throughout the year. I just layer an item of clothing between layers of tissue and my stuff stays reasonably wrinkle free.

For those that cannot find the Downy Wrinle Release spray: I cannot find it my area at all. I was going to buy it online when I found a copy cat recipe for it...1 teaspoon fabric softener to 1 cup water (preferably distilled). Thought I'd share...

Archived