Bringing wine on board Holland America

socalcruisers2

Disagree with KK too.

RCI changed their carry on wine policy about 2 years ago - their onboard wine is still at the same bad prices and their wine list is still more limited than any of CCL lines. So there is one data point where your logic does not hold.

The second point, is the carry on policy is not all about saving bucks. For some people it is, for many is it is getting to carry on the wine that you love or have collected for some time to enjoy with the food in the dining room. For me that is the beauty of the wine policy, most nights I prepare a meal at home and we have a very nice bottle of wine with it. The great thing about a HAL (Princess, NCL, Carnival, Disney, etc. except RCI) cruise is that someone else makes me a multi course meal and we still have one of our favorite wines with it (no need to wonder it is on the list or what it may cost).

Is the glass half full or half empty?

A good idea is to purchase wine at some (or all!!!) of the ports where th ship docks. eg On the Panama canal cruise leaving Vancouver with the first and second ports of call being Victoria and San Diego respectively, Liquor/wine stores are within easy walking distance. Ralphs in San Diego has been highly recommended by many cruisers.

Speaking of wine...does HAL still use the wine cards? We will bring a couple of bottles on board but since we don't drink a lot, the wine card would work well for us.
So far, yes ... but who knows for how long before the long-rumored change takes place.

Can you tell us of a good wine store close to Fort Lauderdale? We have ordered wine as gifts before boarding and put it in the fridge in our cabin (it was a Celebrity cruise). Then we would open a bottle, sit on the balcony and sip our wine as we left port and relaxed before dinner. It was wonderful. We also did a winery tour as one of the excursions from the ship and bought wine at the winery, and brought it back on board to drink in our stateroom, and while leaving port. I would like to do so again, either buy wine as gift before leaving home, or buying in FLL before we board. We also buy wine from the menu based on the sommelier's suggestions, and after a meal or two, they know what you prefer.

Tess - TOTAL WINE! very close to the port. It is a HUGE place and has great prices IMO. The only problem with it is that the selection is so vast you could spend all day in there. Its right by the Embassey SUites and Hyatt Place hotels.

DaveOKC

Any idea why the distinction in policy between wine, vs. beer/liquor? I wonder why they allow the former, but not the latter.

fine wines with a fine dinner. that's my theory is that traditionally many folks wanted to bring on a fine wine to enjoy with their dinner, the onboard wine offerings are good but there are hundres of wines that are collected and many vintages that someone may have a few bottles of and want to enjoy with their dinner. Remember there can be a corkage fee charged per bottle.

I love the policy, don't mind the corkage fee involved.

Archived