Bringing wine on board Holland America

socalcruisers2

Try Total Wine and Beverage. They are close to the pier and have a vast selection. Go to their web page for directions and a price list.

Thanks! We will stop there on our way to board. You have vastly improved our cruise.:D

We are going on our first 30 day cruise. My husband enjoys his wine. Has anyone had any experience bring wine on board the ship? How much were you able to bring aboard? We are considering bringing 6 bottles.
Our last HAL cruise between our traveling companions and ourselves we broght about 15 bottles: no problem. We were charged a corkage fee for what we took to the dining room. As a TA, my gut feeling, HAL will soon change this and allow only a few bottles, but right now you are perfectally safe. And yes, the cabin steward should have an opener for you.

Nita

We always travel with a corkscrew in our checked suitcase (we have lots, because we've had to buy them on trips when we've forgotten to pack them:rolleyes: Now we just leave one in each of our suitcases) Our steward on Maasdam was unable to provide us with a corkscrew, and I've heard other people have the same problem on other ships. It's probably possible to persist and track one down through a bar or room service, but for something that costs $5 and takes up no space, we prefer to bring our own:p (we travel with the cheapest version I can use to actually open a bottle of wine--we have nicer ones at home but don't travel with them)

As for bringing it, buying it on board, buying in ports, etc., we all have our priorities about what we like to bring with us on vacation:D

Try Total Wine and Beverage. They are close to the pier and have a vast selection. Go to their web page for directions and a price list.

On our TA and Med cruise, we pre-ordered a couple of cases from Total Wine in FLL using their internet ordering system. We had the taxi stop on the way to the ship (very convenient) and they had it all boxed up and ready to take on board. We just let them swipe the credit card, and were on our way. Took no more than five minutes total.

On our TA and Med cruise, we pre-ordered a couple of cases from Total Wine in FLL using their internet ordering system. We had the taxi stop on the way to the ship (very convenient) and they had it all boxed up and ready to take on board. We just let them swipe the credit card, and were on our way. Took no more than five minutes total.

You are our kind of cruisers. We did almost the same thing in Barcelona, only difference is that we spent the afternoon tasting before we bought. They packaged up 2 cases of great Spainish wines, we picked up a taxi, took everything back to our hotel and next day check our cases with our luggage and in no time at all it was Party Time.

Here's a picture of us at La Vinya in Barcelona

47b6cc26b3127cce8f2d03a83e140000001.jpg

• 2 months later...

On our next cruise we stop at St. Thomas our fourth day out. To save having to bring a lot of my favorite wine from home my plan is to bring only a couple of bottles and restock at St. Thomas. However my SO insists that she remembers that passengers were not allowed to bring liquor/wine aboard in St. Thomas. Is she correct?

You can bring wine aboard when in port. Same no liquor rules apply.

I just learned something new (again):). I knew X did NOT allow wine, other than 2 bottles at embarkation, but did not know that HAL DOES allow it at other ports. Thanks!

Ken

It is the old "supply and demand".................. Wine on HAL should be much less expensive because the demand is low with guests bringing on their own. Therefore, demand is low and you should be geting a steal on your wine. If we did not bring wine on board, it would cost even more.

It is the old "supply and demand".................. Wine on HAL should be much less expensive because the demand is low with guests bringing on their own. Therefore, demand is low and you should be geting a steal on your wine. If we did not bring wine on board, it would cost even more.

hit the nail on the head...

Nita

Will they chill wine or champagne brought to the dining room? How long does it take? Can it be chilled for a dinner the next day? Will they keep and store multiple bottles? I understand they will charge $15 dollars for each bottle they touch. Thanks! :)

If I were you, I would bring, or send, it down in advance. Have the bottle marked with your table # and seating time, or cabin # if you are on open seating. Let them know which bottle you want served that night. Then, at dinner, make arrangements with the wine steward for the following nights.

Thank you for your replies. As I have booked a 27 day Trans Atlantic cruise I was very interested in utilizing the HAL policy to bring aboard a couple of cases of wine and champagne. However, I’m not interested in being a wine steward myself requiring me to deliver my wine to the dining room on a daily basis. I love a good bottle of champagne and wine while cruising however I understand the HAL price list is prohibitive in this regard. I am also not particularly impressed with their wine packages. Additionally, I would enjoy the pre trip adventure of making my own selections for the cruise.

Thus, if anyone has specific knowledge or information as to this process I would appreciate it. Specifically:

Will they hold numerous (12/24) bottles of wine?

Will they chill the champagne and white wines in advance allowing me to make a selection upon my arrival at dinner from my “personal stock?”

If not, will I be required to select the wine for the next day in advance?

While I have requested a fixed dining time, I can’t be guaranteed of getting that at this moment. Thus, with the variable dining schedule will this be a problem?

Any wine steward who assists me in achieving my objective would be well compensated as I will be saving hundreds of dollars (even with the corkage charge.) Thank you again for your help. :)

We are going on our first 30 day cruise. My husband enjoys his wine. Has anyone had any experience bring wine on board the ship? How much were you able to bring aboard? We are considering bringing 6 bottles.
And don't forget this includes champagne.:) Pick up a special champagne stopper in case you don't finish the bottle. Your cabin stewart will keep you supplied with ice if you don't have a ref. Then, you can sip bubbles anytime you want.:D

Bon voyage!!

• 9 months later...

Yes, you can bring wine aboard as long as it is Napa Valley wine, other wines will be confiscated...;)

Is the bring your own wine policy still in effect? We will be cruising Noordam in February 2010.

Yes it is, but the corkage fee (if you take your bottle of wine to the dining room) has increased since last year..Believe it's now $18.00...

You can bring as much wine, bottled water, & soft drinks as you want..HAL only has coke products so I bring a 12 pack of diet Pepsi..

DH enjoys a glass of wine in our cabin, so we may bring a couple of bottles with us..We also supplement it with purchasing the wine card for our wine in the Dining room since neither of us usually drink more than one glass at dinner..

Betty

My husband is not a wine connoisseur. In fact he's a beer drinker. However, he's like one of those Italian guys with the tank top undershirt sitting backwards on a chair in the middle of Little Italy in Manhattan. He enjoys his red wine from a gallon.

If we bought a gallon of this so-called wine how can we bring it on board? Do we just put it with our luggage with a tag? Does he carry it?

I'll just bet he's fun at parties!:)

Archived