Visas for Turkey and Egypt???

Just received info from our cruise line, and they are saying that we need visas to enter Turkey and Egypt for our shore excursions.... I have read that we can get them at the port, but if that is so, then why not inform the passengers... I don't want to be sending my passport off to these embassies if I don't have to. Can anyone advise??? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your information.

I am very surprised about Turkey. The only time you need a visa for Turkey is when you begin or end your cruise there or if you stayed overnight in a hotel.

For Egypt we did need visas but our ship took care of them for us on board the ship.

What exactly is your itinerary. Are you just transiting through Turkey?

And what cruise line are you going on?

While some cruise lines provide the visas for Egypt, it is possible that some do not. So OP may need a visa for Egypt. Visas are available at the Cairo airport. I am not sure about at the ports.

Absolutely. This is why I was curious as to what cruise line and the order and itinerary of the ports.

Keith

If you are a US national don't bother to waste your time and money by getting them at the embassy or consulate. if you need them they will make them available at the port. They want you to visit in both countries and won't make it difficult at all.

in fact at the Cairo airport you buy them from the BANK not from the Government.

Visa confusion seems to reign!

In March, 2009 we are sailing to ports including India, Egypt,Oman,several UAE countries and disembarking and remaining one night in Turkey. ZVS does not post this far in advance. I telephoned the line and learned that we needed individual visas for India and Turkey.My agent spoke w. someone 'in the know' at the line and learned that we need visas for UAE, India and Turkey. I then wrote to Operations and they emailed that we needed visas for India only.

As you can imagine, this variety of 'information' is not comforting and more inquiry will need to be done.

The information I have is that no visas are required as long as you are on a cruise. Visas are required for land trips where you will be in country more than 48 hours. We did not get visas when we were in Turkey and Egypt on our Star Princess cruise. We did need to purchase a visa for Egypt when we flew back for a 10 day land trip.

We have been on a world cruise two years in a row and this include Egypt. The cruise line arranged for our visas for Egypt and they were charged against our shipboard account. Visas are required but many times the cruise lines take care of this.

Again, no visas are required for Turkey unless you begin your cruise there, end your cruise there or stay overnight at a hotel.

India requires Visas.

It's too bad that some cruise lines can't give straight answers on this. We are fortunate that the ones we travel with do have the answers.

Keith

Hello Group. I have read so many different post reguarding this issue so I e-mailed the Turkish Embassy to get the facts. I hope this might clear up a few things for someone. NCL stated that the $20.00 charge will be able to be purchased on board from the immigration officer in Istanbul, however, NCL will also charge a $15.00 Service fee to your on board account for this service. You will still come out $2.00 ahead than if you purchase an advance visa from the embassy. See the links below.

Visa Requirements for Visiting Turkey

A valid passport and visa are required for US citizens traveling to Turkey. U.S. citizens may purchase a visa upon arrival at the port of entry for tourist/business visits of up to 90 days or through a Turkish Consular Office in the US. The visa fees are $20 payable in USD at the port of entry, $37 single / $131 multiple entry if purchased in advance at a Consular Office (Cash, money order, cashiers check only). For those applying by mail please include application forms, 1 passport style photo for each applicant, passports, visa fees and a pre-paid self addressed envelope so that the documents can be mailed back to the applicants. Cruise line passengers do not need a visa if they are visiting ports of call and not flying in or out from Turkey. Visa must be obtained in advance for longer stays such as for study, research, or employment purposes. For further information on visa requirements, travelers may contact the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey, 2525 Massachusetts Ave N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008, telephone (202) 612-6740 / 41 or the nearest Consulate General in their jurisdiction: CA(323-655-8832), IL(312-263-0644), NY(212-949-0160), or TX(713-622-5849) ext 18, Call Center(1-888-566-7656); or Visit the Embassy of Turkey web pages at www.turkishembassy.org or www.trconsulate.org for the most current visa information.

Regards,

Turkish Embassy Consular Office

Washington D.C.

Hello Group. I have read so many different post reguarding this issue so I e-mailed the Turkish Embassy to get the facts. I hope this might clear up a few things for someone. NCL stated that the $20.00 charge will be able to be purchased on board from the immigration officer in Istanbul, however, NCL will also charge a $15.00 Service fee to your on board account for this service. You will still come out $2.00 ahead than if you purchase an advance visa from the embassy. See the links below.

Visa Requirements for Visiting Turkey

A valid passport and visa are required for US citizens traveling to Turkey. U.S. citizens may purchase a visa upon arrival at the port of entry for tourist/business visits of up to 90 days or through a Turkish Consular Office in the US. The visa fees are $20 payable in USD at the port of entry, $37 single / $131 multiple entry if purchased in advance at a Consular Office (Cash, money order, cashiers check only). For those applying by mail please include application forms, 1 passport style photo for each applicant, passports, visa fees and a pre-paid self addressed envelope so that the documents can be mailed back to the applicants. Cruise line passengers do not need a visa if they are visiting ports of call and not flying in or out from Turkey. Visa must be obtained in advance for longer stays such as for study, research, or employment purposes. For further information on visa requirements, travelers may contact the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey, 2525 Massachusetts Ave N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008, telephone (202) 612-6740 / 41 or the nearest Consulate General in their jurisdiction: CA(323-655-8832), IL(312-263-0644), NY(212-949-0160), or TX(713-622-5849) ext 18, Call Center(1-888-566-7656); or Visit the Embassy of Turkey web pages at www.turkishembassy.org or www.trconsulate.org for the most current visa information.

Regards,

Turkish Embassy Consular Office

Washington D.C.

I am sorry but this is wrong. If you are not beginning your journey in Turkey or ending your journey in Turkey nor staying overnight in a hotel in Turkey and are only transiting through this port of call then you do not need a visa for Turkey. So, if your cruise begins in say Italy and ends in another country and you have multiple stops in Turkey even including an overnight where the ship remains in port then you do not need a visa. I have visited Turkey multiple times and as recently in Apriil of 2007 as part of a world cruise and that was the case.

Keith

I am sorry but this is wrong. If you are not beginning your journey in Turkey or ending your journey in Turkey nor staying overnight in a hotel in Turkey and are only transiting through this port of call then you do not need a visa for Turkey. So, if your cruise begins in say Italy and ends in another country and you have multiple stops in Turkey even including an overnight where the ship remains in port then you do not need a visa. I have visited Turkey multiple times and as recently in Apriil of 2007 as part of a world cruise and that was the case.

Keith

Keith, You are correct, That is exactly what it says!

"Cruise line passengers do not need a visa if they are visiting ports of call and not flying in or out from Turkey."

However If the cruise ENDS in Turkey and you ARE flying out of Trukey, then YES you DO need a visa upon arrival. Our cruise Does end in Turkey.

You Do Not Need A Visa For Turkey If On A Cruise.

The Visa Rules Apply To Those Arriving By Land Or Air.

Cruise Passengers Are Exempt.

You might want to let the Turkish Embassy know then. If you stay in Turkey before or after your cruise, you WILL need a visa. I have done this before about 4 years ago and I still have the visa in my passport.

Keith, You are correct, That is exactly what it says!

"Cruise line passengers do not need a visa if they are visiting ports of call and not flying in or out from Turkey."

However If the cruise ENDS in Turkey and you ARE flying out of Trukey, then YES you DO need a visa upon arrival. Our cruise Does end in Turkey.

I know but since what you highlighted didn't say that I wanted to clarify this because people just get confused all the time.

Bottom line.

If you transit through Turkey (meaning your cruise does not begin or end in Turkey) then no visa is required.

If you tranit through Turkey and the ship is staying overnight in port no passport is required if you sleep on the ship. If you decide to stay at a hotel, a visa is required.

If you begin your cruise in Turkey or end your cruise in Turkey a visa is required.

Keith

You might want to let the Turkish Embassy know then. If you stay in Turkey before or after your cruise, you WILL need a visa. I have done this before about 4 years ago and I still have the visa in my passport.

No need to get snippy. My information does not contradict you. In order to stay in Turkey before your cruise, one would assume that you arrived via land or air. There is no visa required for cruise passengers just passing through.

yes but you don't need to get it before you get to Turkey. They will be available at the airport and/pr the ship if they are needed. There is NO reason to waste your time or the posters time getting them before hand. the Visa is not a complicated form with pictures its merely a stamp you buy.

does this look familiar?

189052485_turkishvisa-1.jpg.4a7601561d5962dda7f419eec21d5fc4.jpg

Darn, I was just trying to be helpful to the group by getting the information straight from Turkey....I think they know what their own requirements are for the country that they govern. Every thing that is being argued is clearly in the response from the Turkish e-mail. It is clear to me that some folks just can not read in the correct context. As far as being snippy.......I was not the one that barked as to how wrong one was! Again you are not reading correctly. What you are saying is correct as well and it is stated in the e-mail. All I can say is forgive me and I will just get off this post and be greatful that I make my own travel arrangements and do not have to rely on others that are so quick to be the experts.

look no one is disputing what the embassy said. Its pretty clear for once(not always true by the way) but the practical effect from people who have experience is different. Yes you will need a visa if you do more than pass a day or two from a ship stopping in Turkey...no one says otherwise, but if you need a Visa the cruise line or Turkey will have a way for you to buy it at the port of entry- no need for passports pictures no need to mail it a way no need to fill out a passport application, just buy a stamp or have the ship buy it for you. Practically which is better....pay more to get one from the embassy before hand, with a chance that your passport will get lost in the three penny shuffle...or get it on the ship or at the port of entry...to me this seems like a no brainer and is exactly what those who have done it have said. Its nice that the Embassy agrees but I can tell you I have seen other embassy's respond wrong on what the customs people are actually doing...

look no one is disputing what the embassy said. Its pretty clear for once(not always true by the way) but the practical effect from people who have experience is different. Yes you will need a visa if you do more than pass a day or two from a ship stopping in Turkey...no one says otherwise, but if you need a Visa the cruise line or Turkey will have a way for you to buy it at the port of entry- no need for passports pictures no need to mail it a way no need to fill out a passport application, just buy a stamp or have the ship buy it for you. Practically which is better....pay more to get one from the embassy before hand, with a chance that your passport will get lost in the three penny shuffle...or get it on the ship or at the port of entry...to me this seems like a no brainer and is exactly what those who have done it have said. Its nice that the Embassy agrees but I can tell you I have seen other embassy's respond wrong on what the customs people are actually doing...

I understand what you are saying and yes I agree, keep it simple and get your stamp when you are there. My only point in posting was to show ALL the options. To be told that I was WASTING posters time and that I was telling ANYONE to send off thier passports is just unfair to me! We are all adults here. If someone can not read the entire post and make a rational decision from it then they should stay home an not travel because they should not be lose in the world. Enough said on this subject. I have said my piece Amen!

I understand what you are saying and yes I agree, keep it simple and get your stamp when you are there. My only point in posting was to show ALL the options. To be told that I was WASTING posters time and that I was telling ANYONE to send off thier passports is just unfair to me! We are all adults here. If someone can not read the entire post and make a rational decision from it then they should stay home an not travel because they should not be lose in the world. Enough said on this subject. I have said my piece Amen!

but the original poster asked " Just received info from our cruise line, and they are saying that we need visas to enter Turkey and Egypt for our shore excursions.... I have read that we can get them at the port, but if that is so, then why not inform the passengers... I don't want to be sending my passport off to these embassies if I don't have to. Can anyone advise??? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your information."

Your post just sends the OP all around again. To the original poster as you asked for a day or two in transit on a cruise ship no Visa is needed. You don't have to mail your passport. If its needed your cruise line will arrange or it will be purchasable at the port of entry.. end of story no confusion. just answers the question...

Archived