Needlepoint kits

Bookmarker

I just read something about needlepoint kits being available for sale in the library. What do these kits look like? How much do they cost? Has anyone bought one before? Do they have directions for putting it together or do they offer a class to help you?

I just read something about needlepoint kits being available for sale in the library. What do these kits look like? How much do they cost? Has anyone bought one before? Do they have directions for putting it together or do they offer a class to help you?
The kits are basic kits for sunglass cases, etc. They're really for people who don't have anything else to do or are looking for something to do as the yarn is cheap and the "canvas" is plastic. On longer cruises, Princess does have instructors on board who teach not only needlepoint but other arts. If you're a needlepointer, you're better off getting a small canvas from your local shop and picking out your own yarn.

They are available for purchase in the library and and sometimes at the ceramics station. They are usually things like small change purses or sunglass cases. They come with instructions, but you will probably need to have some experience with doing needlepoint in order to be successful. The only needlepoint class that I have seen offered was on our Christmas cruise on the Diamond. It was a simple needlepoint project to make a coaster.

I've purchased the kits in the past and they have been $7 - they had glass cases, small coin purses and a larger makeup case-type bag. They were on canvas. I made one while on our Sydney to LA cruise for our DDIL, lined it in satin, added a few sparkle cyrstals, and she loved it and plans on using it for our upcoming cruise together. Pam is right, you can get better kits out there but I found them to be fine.

I've bought two of the kits on board. Most of the patterns have the words "Princess Cruises"...I just modify the word "cruises" to my first name.

So, I have a coin purse and makeup case that say "Princess Karen" on them. I guess that says it all!

Karen in NorCal

I was able to purchase one on our first cruise on the Golden, and they didn't have them available on our second cruise on the Sun. It was something fun that I started at night towards the end of the trip and gave me something to do on the flight home / waiting in the airport! I thought it was pretty inexpensive and a fun souvenir from the trip! I think I also altered it to say my name on it as well :) I had never done needlepoint before but I knitted and had done cross stitches before and found it really easy to pick up - there are basic instructions included in the package as well.

I was really happy to find these for sale in the library of the Crown last September. I bought one and sat out on the deck watching the ocean. It also passed the time waiting to debark and my bus ride home.

They were $5 and $6 depending on the size. I got a small change purse. I picked that one specifically as it said Princess on it and wanted it as a souvenir. There were other small choices like eyeglass cases. The change purse had simple instruction sheet, needle, and floss. I had to use nail clippers to cut the ends of the floss off though. I liked that it was a fully assembled change purse and all you did was complete the needlepoint part. You didn't have to sew in the zipper or anything.

I had not done needlepoint before & found this to be a nice souvenir.

Yes, I forgot to add that they are in the library, just as the staff member there, they usually have them in the cabinet. And, if you don't want the Princess Cruises on it, just needlepoint over it or add something you

would like :)

Thanks so much for the info. I knit, crochet and have done needlepoint previously. I'll look at the kits when I am on our Panama Canal cruise but will probably stick to finishing my own craft project that I will bring from home.
My sister does both knitting and needlepoint samples for our local shop, so she's really an expert. On every cruise that has a few sea days, she goes to the Cruise Director and asks him/her to put a notice in the Patter for anyone doing needle arts to get together from 10AM - Noon in a lounge. On our Sydney to LA cruise, the CD did that and put us in the Wheelhouse which has lousy light if you're working on something. Yet over 40 ladies showed up. When the CD stopped by to see how it was going, he immediately gave us an unused dining room for the rest of the trip. People were doing everything from quilting, beading, jewelry-making, cross-stitch, and, of course, knitting and needlepoint. It was so popular that when we were in New Zealand, several ladies bought wool and needles just so that they could join the group. People were teaching others how to do things, exchanging patterns, and just having fun. One lady from Denmark was knitting a gorgeous coat. Some were working on the Princess needlepoint kits but most had brought their own projects to do. It was a great way to meet new people, share an interest and learn something new.

These little kits are really a bargain price, and one will keep you busy for your entire cruise. I always bring a white marker (buy at craft store) to cover the printed "Princess Cruises" words on the canvas so that I can put in the recipient's name or initials instead. There is always one needle expert on every cruise. I usually find myself teaching other ladies. There is no finishing required, other than steaming with an iron. My mother has worn out the eyeglasses case I made for her, and wants me to do another!

Archived