Emerald: What I shoudn't miss?

Luxuriate

Ok, everyone, I am going on my first Princess cruise after numerous other cruise-line experiences. What should I NOT miss on my 10-day cruise on the Emerald Princess traveling through the Caribbean on October 18th for 10 nights?

Maybe I am getting old but I can't figure out the search function on this site. I swear it isn't as easy as it was five years ago.

Please...just tell me what I should look out for and what I should avoid. I have a 4 year-old son traveling with a 38-year-old mother and and a 63 yr-old father. Son will be turning four-years-old the first day of the cruise. We are hoping for some hoop-la in the kids area that day or soon after. I have already put this on the itinerary.

Hubby and I just want a vacation. PRINCESS...PLEASE PULL THROUGH!

Fill us in. What should we look for? What should we not miss?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Ok, everyone, I am going on my first Princess cruise after numerous other cruise-line experiences. What should I NOT miss on my 10-day cruise on the Emerald Princess traveling through the Caribbean on October 18th for 10 nights?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Watch for milk and cookies being served in the afternoon. Check out the tiered seating for the Movies Under the Stars. Don't be scared (like I was initially) about the prices in the Plaza deck International cafe - much of what they offer is no cost. Our tablemates raved about the sushimi in the afternoon.

Hi Cheryl.

My husband and I cruised on the Emerald last January doing the 10 day eastern route. We both considered it the best vacation we've ever taken so I know as long as you vow to not sweat the small stuff that your group will enjoy.

The ship is fantastic, and one thing not to miss is the balcony above the bridge... to access, you need to go all the way forward on the LIDO deck. You will see a door (unmarked) on either side of the ship... take these to the deck. Amazing views from here... we did notice that these doors were locked at sailaway from Ft. Lauderdale but were able to enjoy sailaway from Princess Cays and arrival at St. Kitts from this vantage point.

We didn't bring our daughters with us on that cruise but I was speaking with some parents and they raved about the kid's program. Your little one might want to check this out.

Also, if you want some alone grown-up time, you should consider the Sanctuary. But be forewarned, it booked up by 7:40 for all the sea days so you have to line up before they open to accept bookings if you're interested.

I thoroughly enjoyed the pilates (not easily done on a moving vessel!) offered in the gym and a pedicure @ the spa.

We spent the majority of our time at the spa pool (again, only when you don't have your son with you as this is an adults-only area) and found we could easily get a spot here until the last two days when the rest of the ship seemed to discover our little haven.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and you love the Emerald as much as I did!

Jill

Hi Cheryl.

My husband and I cruised on the Emerald last January doing the 10 day eastern route. We both considered it the best vacation we've ever taken so I know as long as you vow to not sweat the small stuff that your group will enjoy.

The ship is fantastic, and one thing not to miss is the balcony above the bridge... to access, you need to go all the way forward on the LIDO deck. You will see a door (unmarked) on either side of the ship... take these to the deck. Amazing views from here... we did notice that these doors were locked at sailaway from Ft. Lauderdale but were able to enjoy sailaway from Princess Cays and arrival at St. Kitts from this vantage point.

We didn't bring our daughters with us on that cruise but I was speaking with some parents and they raved about the kid's program. Your little one might want to check this out.

Also, if you want some alone grown-up time, you should consider the Sanctuary. But be forewarned, it booked up by 7:40 for all the sea days so you have to line up before they open to accept bookings if you're interested.

I thoroughly enjoyed the pilates (not easily done on a moving vessel!) offered in the gym and a pedicure @ the spa.

We spent the majority of our time at the spa pool (again, only when you don't have your son with you as this is an adults-only area) and found we could easily get a spot here until the last two days when the rest of the ship seemed to discover our little haven.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and you love the Emerald as much as I did!

Jill

I am a tired and overworked mom (I work full-time away from home). I am so looking forward to this break. With an added bonus of being able to bring our son along with us to share in the fun.

Thanks again,

Cheryl

Here are my 2 favorite tips for the Emerald:

Don't miss out on the 10 minute acts/shows in the Piazza every evening. They will be perfect for a 4 year old....long enough to entertain him and short enough for a 4 year old's attention span. We saw acrobat acts, magicians, jugglers and comedy acts over the course of our cruise.

If eating buffet, go to the back to find seating in Cafe Caribe. It is always less crowded than Horizon Court.

Enjoy your cruise...you will love the Emerald.

• 3 weeks later...
Here are my 2 favorite tips for the Emerald:

Don't miss out on the 10 minute acts/shows in the Piazza every evening. They will be perfect for a 4 year old....long enough to entertain him and short enough for a 4 year old's attention span. We saw acrobat acts, magicians, jugglers and comedy acts over the course of our cruise.

If eating buffet, go to the back to find seating in Cafe Caribe. It is always less crowded than Horizon Court.

Enjoy your cruise...you will love the Emerald.

This is fantastic advice. Will do. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived