Tips- $10.00 per day per Guest

Terry305

Hi Terry305, it's great that you are doing the cruise research/reservations/organizing for your friends in addition to your own. I am also organizing a family cruise and everybody wants to leave everything up to me (I am an enabler, they can read English :rolleyes:)

I am Chinese, born and raised in a British colony. So I understand that different cultures view tipping differently. Chinese families like to give gifts of money LOL and the British are so expert at giving the tip in a handshake (back in my day at least).

Because we are traveling with many different cultures within our group, I am pre-paying everyone's tips and have put aside the cash for end-of-cruise tipping (separate from room service tips). I even have an excel spreadsheet "Tips" calculating who gets what. Each family member will get envelopes with enough (hopefully) cash and pre-printed with "TIPS - DO NOT USE" .

OCD? Yes, I am afflicted :p and these boards are keeping me from my "other job" :eek:

Hello Gamer mom, lol I am also very attached to this board lol.

I did not mean to point out any nationality, thats why i did mention my hispanic background, but the subject is fine but is always risky to mention any nationalities is very sensitive and maybe I did not address myself correctly, but something I have nothing to do with is the fact thatthe cruise lines charged the tips automatically to all non us citizens so there is something in the area lol , about the excell spread sheets they sound cool. lol

Enjoy your trip

Terry :)

If you were to continue reading the thread, you would see that I mentioned that perhaps my statement would be better suited for US based service industries such as restaurants. I don't know how many times I have gone places where I receive bad service because tipping is "standard". I do believe customer service has suffered because of people being expected to always tip 20-25% regardless of how you are treated.

Even if they are 'supposed' to report it, doesn't mean they have to. How many waiters/waitresses don't report their tips to the IRS? On the flip side of your statement, what if Carnival takes some off the top of each tip they collect. Then, the staff really are losing out by the auto tips. I'll bet that wouldn't be disclosed either.

There are good and bad ways of looking at it, just like everything else.

Bottom line - at least I tip very well for good service!

I read on and I comprehend fairly well. What you posted and I responded to was that you ALWAYS remove auto-tips.

Re: US restaurants, I have eaten in EVERY LEVEL of US restaurants. From a NY restaurant where I paid a $2600.00 dinner bill [incl. tip] to a greasy spoon breakfast with more food than anybody could hope to eat for under $4.00.

I cannot remember a tip being added to an individual dinner, groups yes, individuals, no. But I wouldn't take particular notice so maybe it happens. Still has nothing to do with auto-tips on a cruise.

Waiters and waitresses and the IRS? I have never worked for tips but I think that the IRS has a percentage of sales formula for tip income. I certainly would be shocked to my shoes to find that nice guys IRS would let the little people off with a pass.

We dine out about twice a week and I have not seen this decline in service and I am plenty demanding.

And the IRS has nothing to do with the foreign nationals working on foreign registered cruise ships. Those workers report exactly what they need to report to the IRS---NOTHING.

Carnival has publicly stated that the workers keep every cent of the auto-tips. Of course, they could be lying. But we have had many, many cruise ship workers post on these boards. Not one has EVER claimed the cruiselines [any line] was holding back anything from their tip income. And they have complained about everything else about working on a ship.

Restating: There is NO good reason to remove Carnival's auto tip. And they know that all but a very small percentage of those that do remove the tip, don't tip. I would not care to be lumped in with that croup, rightly or wrongly, for a single minute.

Dan

I read on and I comprehend fairly well. What you posted and I responded to was that you ALWAYS remove auto-tips.

Re: US restaurants, I have eaten in EVERY LEVEL of US restaurants. From a NY restaurant where I paid a $2600.00 dinner bill [incl. tip] to a greasy spoon breakfast with more food than anybody could hope to eat for under $4.00.

I cannot remember a tip being added to an individual dinner, groups yes, individuals, no. But I wouldn't take particular notice so maybe it happens. Still has nothing to do with auto-tips on a cruise.

Waiters and waitresses and the IRS? I have never worked for tips but I think that the IRS has a percentage of sales formula for tip income. I certainly would be shocked to my shoes to find that nice guys IRS would let the little people off with a pass.

We dine out about twice a week and I have not seen this decline in service and I am plenty demanding.

And the IRS has nothing to do with the foreign nationals working on foreign registered cruise ships. Those workers report exactly what they need to report to the IRS---NOTHING.

Dan

Dan $2,600.00 dinner, please tell us lol, it was probably an ansewome place. what do you drink??? waoo thats a nice bill:)

The staff earn every penny of the $10.00 per day and we have never NOT

tripped them extra. We have cruised many times and never had any of the staff not deserve the extra.

Leaving Sunday on a little 4 days cruise for our 35th anniversary and so looking forward to being able to tip the staff.

Dan

There are quite a few restaurants that I have been to that do add auto-tips. I am happy to hear that you have not experienced poor service. Sadly, it has not been the case for me.

The IRS thing was a comparison on how they don't always have to report it. I wasn't saying crew members report to the IRS. And do you really think every waiter reports their tips? I would love to live in a world where everyone was honest, but we don't. Truth is, the IRS doesn't have the time to check up on everyone so a lot of people do get away with it.

I agree to disagree. :D

I have no problem with it and usually tip extra.

What I do tale exception to are the people who remove thier tips because they do not eat in the dining room. Who do they think is serving them there?

Auto tips that restaurants add to your bill can actually be deducted. You can place a negative amount in the tip area, total the bill and sign the receipt. My husband did this ONCE, using our American Express; and when the bill came in, it was adjusted to the amount we agreed to pay. We went to a (supposedly) 5 star restaurant, food was terrible, delivered cold, our waiter disappeared for over an hour, and we had to actually go to the bar to get our own drinks.

I believe in the auto-tips that Carnival adds on the S&S card, I have seen people out in public, and it makes me embarrased to see how little some leave. We have tipped over $140.00 for a single dinner, and they only earn that for a whole week.... what a deal! We are very good tippers and my husband gets a kick out of tiping the steward, the bar, our head waiter, etc.... I think we tipped our cabin steward over $100, on our last cruise. Yes... she was that good :D I think outstanding service should be rewarded

Dan $2,600.00 dinner, please tell us lol, it was probably an ansewome place. what do you drink??? waoo thats a nice bill:)
I've had bills that high at Morton's and Del Frisco. Of course, that was for groups of about 10-12 people, and included a few high-end bottles of wine.

There are plenty of cultures that don't tip, and it isn't because they are cheap. In America, the waiters and waitresses get paid very little and most of their income is from tips. In other countries they may get paid a more fair wage and not get any tip income. If somebody from that country is on a cruise ship, they may not understand the concept of tipping.

I would rather the cruise lines just increase the price by $10 a day for tips, and $9 a day for fuel, and whatever other hidden charges they have. I hate looking at an advertised price that is really only about 60% of what will actually be paid.

On a good note - this board has taught me the importance of overtipping. I have rarely given a tip beyond the auto-tips. On my next cruise, I will be giving a cash tip in addition. I will likely give the room steward a cash tip on the first day.

Your spot on about tipping..In some parts of the world service is already included in your bill and while others tipping is a cultural no-no (ie Japan). This is why high-end places in nyc that cater to tourists make a point of saying a tip isn't included in the bill. That being said I don't mind the auto-tipping I just wish they would roll it into the price you pay along with the fuel surcharge..

Cheers!

Howie

Way too much, way too fine, wine. Think its a lot? It was over TWENTY years ago.

100% deductible however!

Another night, San Francisco, I think 14 guys, just the bar bill BEFORE dinner was $900.00. Ain't expense accounts grand?

The dinner was outstanding, of course we all were total toast. It could have been garbage. I'm sure some romantic dinners for two were ruined that evening!

Dan

Don't forget that kids under 2 (I think) no gratuity and 2-12 is only $5 so the room steward isn't getting $14. I don't know what the break down would be of $5 but probably they get less than $2 of that $5. Still a great deal. Especially when kids are 9-12 and sometimes they eat the adult meals :)
Carnival calculated our tips at $40/day, so yea, the cabin steward gets $14/day.

I think it's a great deal for the waiters, that's for sure, but I'll have to wait and see wrt the cabin steward.

Way too much, way too fine, wine. Think its a lot? It was over TWENTY years ago.

100% deductible however!

Another night, San Francisco, I think 14 guys, just the bar bill BEFORE dinner was $900.00. Ain't expense accounts grand?

The dinner was outstanding, of course we all were total toast. It could have been garbage. I'm sure some romantic dinners for two were ruined that evening!

Dan

Very nice, nice , I guess great wine too.

The most expensive meal that we have paid was in a Hotel in the Keys, the restaurant of the Cheeca Lodge, that was few years ago and was about $500.00 for 2 couples lol. wow the bar bill of $900.00:eek: , lol I bet they were no fun ships on that bar . ;)

It's only an issue to those who try to find an excuse to weasel out of paying gratuities to people onboard who wait on them hand and foot for a week.

The rest of us know it's well-deserved...and we usually give a little extra directly to those we are in daily contact with.

Carnival calculated our tips at $40/day, so yea, the cabin steward gets $14/day.

I think it's a great deal for the waiters, that's for sure, but I'll have to wait and see wrt the cabin steward.

One day couple of years ago I was bored in the dining room and sort of started counting how many tables our waiter had, I multiply that by 2 cause of the seatings and I came up with like 500.00 per week. Also one time on a RCI we have a very sweet rumanian bus boy and one day he told us that to have a tv in his cabin (which they are not as nice as the ones ge get} that he will have to pay 13.00 per month for that tv/cable/satellite service. I dont think they made that huge amount of money thats way I always tip extra, not even one time I had received bad service in a cruise, Bad service was what we had in Punta Cana last year, wait one hour for a soda at dinner. lol

I have no problem with it and usually tip extra.

What I do tale exception to are the people who remove thier tips because they do not eat in the dining room. Who do they think is serving them there?

Hi Dale.... perhaps your comment flew right over my head, but I don't quite understand...... if you would be so kind to set me straight I would be grateful.. :)

...are you saying that you think someone who doesn't even go to the dining room for their entire cruise should still tip the waiter and assistant? Wouldn't tipping someone who you never met, nor received any service from whatsoever be the same as a non-drinker giving $5 to a bartender?.... or someone like me without children handing off a tip to the Camp Carnival folks.....? I think anyone who doesn't use the service has every right to not pay gratuity to them..... and thus remove the pre-paid tips.... I Asked Jeeves to define gratuity (just so I was clear on what it meant....)

gratuity(n.)A favor or gift, usually in the form of money, given in return for service.

....and when you state: "Who do they think is serving them there"?..... are you again referring to the dining room that they never even went to?... or are you generalizing that "there" is room service or the buffet? .... if the latter then I think it's generally understood that the room service tipping is not included in your pre-paid tips and the buffet staff get to split 1 dollar!!!

:confused:.... thanks Dale for clearing up my confusion.....

Have a Great Day!!!

....OH, and Dan ... a bit off topic, but one business evening at Fisherman's Wharf at the pre dinner cocktail gathering, I made the mistake of letting my American Express be the first one to hit the bar!!!

...... after 2and a half hours, the bill was $1100.00 ....!!!! how do you slip that little nugget into the expense report!!!???

...fortunately, my boss, his boss and the bosses BOSS (Company President) were there and their VERY expensive libations were on my tab!!! so I was told, (under wink and an elbow to the ribs) that it is no problem and to also throw a dinner on the expense report for me and the wife for being the sucker that sacrificed his AMEX..... Boy did we laugh.....(after sweatin like a BIG DOG for a couple hours) ....

....and yes, the $1100 was before tips!!!:eek:

$ 10.00 per day per guest its very reasonable. I also agree and do tip extra, especially the room steward and my table servers; however, the maitre'd, i only tip extra if I receive any service from him. Last February for example, I never saw him the entire cruise except the last night when he came by the tables asking if everything had been ok.

Although I have mostly cruised with adult couples, I won't pass judgement on people that travel with their kids and opt to remove the tips for one or some of their kids. ( Especialy if their kids never used Camp Carnival )

One day couple of years ago I was bored in the dining room and sort of started counting how many tables our waiter had, I multiply that by 2 cause of the seatings and I came up with like 500.00 per week. Also one time on a RCI we have a very sweet rumanian bus boy and one day he told us that to have a tv in his cabin (which they are not as nice as the ones ge get} that he will have to pay 13.00 per month for that tv/cable/satellite service. I dont think they made that huge amount of money thats way I always tip extra, not even one time I had received bad service in a cruise, Bad service was what we had in Punta Cana last year, wait one hour for a soda at dinner. lol

Terry,

I would not and do not believe a word about money or conditions that comes out of the mouth of someone depending on my generosity for a tip.

Nor do I entertain or allow any conversations about money with them.

Not that they lie, but they will present things in the most favorable way for their income.

Their rooms are tiny and have 2 to 4 people in them with a shared bathroom between cabins. Closet/shelf area is only a few sq. ft. There's not really room for a TV but if there is one and there is a charge for it. It would be split 2 or 4 ways.

Photos of crew cabins have often been posted on the board. They are oversize closets at best.

Dan

I've had bills that high at Morton's and Del Frisco. Of course, that was for groups of about 10-12 people, and included a few high-end bottles of wine.

We had dinner at Del Frisco's last Sunday evening. It was wonderful as usual. I can see how bar tabs can get so high, we spent over $100 just for drinks.... at $12.00 a pop for glenlivit, and a couple glasses of fine wine.... its easy to do.

GamerMom64, I completely agree that the dining room tipping is a bargain. I am not so sure regarding the cabin steward. My understanding is that $5/day in a hotel is per room, not per person. A cabin stewart is doing more than a hotel maid, and certainly deserves the $7/day for two in a room, but when you're a family of 4, $14/day sounds like a lot, especially for parents who have their kids clean up their messes and leave the room relatively tidy before leaving for the day.

Not that we won't pay it. We'll pay the suggested tips and leave extra to anyone who goes above and beyond, but I must admit to wondering how many rooms each cabin steward is assigned.

Hi SnorkelBabe, apologies, I did not see your post. You are right, the $5/day is for each room. And my math is off, I'd forgotten to include breakfast and dinner.

I am not sure how many rooms the CCL Steward is assigned, but when my mother was a housekeeper at a high end NYC hotel, she was assigned, on a daily basis, 20+ rooms for turn down, 3-5 rooms for check-out (:eek: sometimes the rooms were filthy).

Little side story: When I was about 13 years old, I went to a local Chinese restaurant on my first date (yes....13) with a 15 year old boy. He didn't know anything about tipping etiquette and had only brought enough money for our 2 meals. I was absolutely mortified when the bill came and I apologized to our waiter.

Do you know, the waiter very sincerely told us that it was a pleasure to serve us! He said he appreciated how respectful and polite we were to him during our meal, and he would take our sodas off the tab ($1 total :() "on the house!"

Ever since then, I have always made it a point to look my server in the eye with a smile, even at fast food places. I always make sure I have tip money set aside before hand and I always treat them respectfully as I would my own mother. :)

Terry,

I would not and do not believe a word about money or conditions that comes out of the mouth of someone depending on my generosity for a tip.

Nor do I entertain or allow any conversations about money with them.

Not that they lie, but they will present things in the most favorable way for their income.

Their rooms are tiny and have 2 to 4 people in them with a shared bathroom between cabins. Closet/shelf area is only a few sq. ft. There's not really room for a TV but if there is one and there is a charge for it. It would be split 2 or 4 ways.

Photos of crew cabins have often been posted on the board. They are oversize closets at best.

Dan

I never seem how the cabins look and that will not interfere in me having a good time in my vacation, I do understand thats their job not their home lol.

$ 10.00 per day per guest its very reasonable. I also agree and do tip extra, especially the room steward and my table servers; however, the maitre'd, i only tip extra if I receive any service from him. Last February for example, I never saw him the entire cruise except the last night when he came by the tables asking if everything had been ok.

Although I have mostly cruised with adult couples, I won't pass judgement on people that travel with their kids and opt to remove the tips for one or some of their kids. ( Especialy if their kids never used Camp Carnival )

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We also tip extra , waiter, bus boy and cabin stewart, maitre d will see an envelope only if we request something, when we travel alone we always ask for a table for 2, so there he gets a tip, we dont do any other type of request but that one, I always pay DD tips when she was a child and at that time they were not added to your bill like now and always follow their guidelines on amounts or more, some people just try to save a dollar in the gratuities, thats what I see wrong. I dont think they add any extra tips cause of Camp Carnival If I am not mistaken those are up to the parents, they are not automatically added to the accounts.

Here is what we do (and just a thought):

We leave the Carnival amount ($10 per day) as is. I am a bit concerened that the stewards may not get all of the amount.

In addition, we give our room steward $10 (total for the cabin) when we first meet him/her. Half-way through a cruise we give the steward several more dollars. Usually this results in great cabin service. They deserve the dollars.

For our dining room steward we may/may not decide to give around $5 after the first night's dinner. We definitely give a nice tip to him/her on the last night's dinner (unless service was for some reason not good).

We don't normally use room service but when we do we like to give $2 to $4 dollars. Again, barring terrible service, they deserve it.

Little side story: When I was about 13 years old, I went to a local Chinese restaurant on my first date (yes....13) with a 15 year old boy..........

During our meal, the waiter was attentive and professional. He made us feel like grown-ups at a 5 star restaurant, not like kids ordering the lunch special right at the start of dinner.

Even when the dinner crowd arrived, he never rushed us. Our water glasses were always filled so we didn't have to order more soda (he must have guessed we were on a budget).

When my kids were little and they received this level of service, I always tipped accordingly, 20% or more. If the kids received standard attention and service, the server got 15% of the kids' bill, less if the server was dismissive.

Only once, in my whole life did I ever have to leave a penny tip. The waitress was a cow (attitude).

Oh, I dated that same boy for another 5 years.

It seems to be an issue with this subject, I do feel that the $10.00 per day per guest is fine, whats your opinion?

I wish they would include it in the fare.

I also think it should be based on the fare you pay as well. Why should the Stewards cleaning a big suit be paid the same as cleaning a small inside.

Insides=$10 per day

Outside=$12

Balcony=$15

Suites=$20

Steve:D

Archived