Tips- $10.00 per day per Guest

Terry305

GamerMom64, I completely agree that the dining room tipping is a bargain. I am not so sure regarding the cabin steward. My understanding is that $5/day in a hotel is per room, not per person. A cabin stewart is doing more than a hotel maid, and certainly deserves the $7/day for two in a room, but when you're a family of 4, $14/day sounds like a lot, especially for parents who have their kids clean up their messes and leave the room relatively tidy before leaving for the day.

Not that we won't pay it. We'll pay the suggested tips and leave extra to anyone who goes above and beyond, but I must admit to wondering how many rooms each cabin steward is assigned.

The thing is that believe this or not many passengers do not tip, I like to be very cautious about my words since I do not want to be eaten alive here, some people from another culture do not believe in tipping, I have heard from super nice waiters and stewarts in the ships how some people dont tip, I am not trying to made no one look bad based in nationality I am an Immigrant in this Country but believe it or not a lot of people think that what they paid for the cruise shall cover everything, I do understand clearly what you do and is perfect ,the sad part is that some people do the other thing, I think cause of that they now billed the first day of sailing and I think that non citizens of the U.S also get billed automatically and that is good if it will not be this way imagine this people working for nothing?

That is a very good point. I never looked at it like that. I guess my statement is more applicable in the US at restaurants and other service related industries.

I don't think it is a huge issue but I have seen some people on this board try to get out of paying tips. They use all sorts of excuses, some valid, some not.

Some people are just too cheap to pay tips much like the booze smugglers are too cheap to buy it on the ship. But thats another thread.

I think 10.00 a day per person is a bargain not to have to cook and clean for a week.

But thats just me.

Huh? I've been on the boards for quite awhile, and I don't think there's much of an issue about the amount of tips.

Most folks seem to be ok w/it, because it's certainly a fair amount, and most also seem to tip extra. So, I don't see many tipping issues discussed here...very seldom.

I think the only ones who come on and seem to have an issue with it are 1st time cruisers who have no idea how much work the crew do to make your cruise special. We always tip extra at the end.

GamerMom64, I completely agree that the dining room tipping is a bargain. I am not so sure regarding the cabin steward. My understanding is that $5/day in a hotel is per room, not per person. A cabin stewart is doing more than a hotel maid, and certainly deserves the $7/day for two in a room, but when you're a family of 4, $14/day sounds like a lot, especially for parents who have their kids clean up their messes and leave the room relatively tidy before leaving for the day.

Don't forget that kids under 2 (I think) no gratuity and 2-12 is only $5 so the room steward isn't getting $14. I don't know what the break down would be of $5 but probably they get less than $2 of that $5. Still a great deal. Especially when kids are 9-12 and sometimes they eat the adult meals :)

In theory, I am opposed to auto-tipping in general. Not specifically on Carnival. I really do believe that tips are for exceptional service and these days in many places, they are just expected, so service lacks. I always remove my auto-tips.

That being said, I have never received less than exceptional service on a cruise and have always hand delivered tips in excess of the suggested amount throughout and at the end of the cruise.

On the other hand, it is a shame that some people would not tip the people that deserve it. For this reason, I understand why the auto-tip procedure was implemented. (In addition to the convenience aspect.)

Yours is the kind of post about tipping that bugs me. You say you ALWAYS remove the auto-tips and then tip an excess amount in cash. You are an experienced cruiser, you have not had a service problem, yet you persist in removing the auto-tip with all the implications that may have.

Why remove it in the first place?

Service will suffer because they know they're getting tipped? Double BS, they don't know they will be tipped. Auto-tips can be removed even the last day. 24/7 you can go to the Pursers desk and adjust the tips up, down, or off. Individually or collectively.l You HAVE to go to the Purser to remove the tips. If you leave them on your account and the service is the normal you have already received, you save a trip to the Purser.

You don't believe in tipping in advance?

Well, with auto-tips you are NOT tipping in advance. You are not charged for the tips on your S&S until the cruise is over AND you get the credit card bill 2 or 3 weeks later AND pay it before the due date, maybe another 2 or 3 weeks. So you pay up to 7 weeks later, hardly "in advance."

ALSO, none of YOUR servers get a cent of your auto-tip until the cruise is over and your cc clears. Again, hardly "in advance."

I want the money to go to the right people.

Each cruiseline does their tip thing differently. On CARNIVAL a specific amount goes to YOUR room steward. AND a specific amount goes to YOUR waiter and asst. waiter. AND only $1.00 is pooled for the buffet workers, where YOU eat at least once per cruise.

All of that is without getting into the question of weather or not the workers are questioned if auto-tips are removed and all cash they then receive MUST be turned in to be pooled for all worker. Some think that happens, some think it doesn't. None, including me, is 100% certain and Carnival isn't telling.

But leaving the auto-tip in place eliminates that question. And Carnival HAS said that in that situation that the workers are free to keep all extra cash without any reporting.

Many reasons to leave the auto-tips in place. NO good reasons to automatically remove them.

Dan

That is a very good point. I never looked at it like that. I guess my statement is more applicable in the US at restaurants and other service related industries.

Like I said I dont want to stir up any pots, but a lot of nationalities including hispanics dont tip, not all just some,many familes know what they have to do but some, specially he ones that dont reside in the States can create chaos in a cruise , I remember in the Valor our waiter which was wonderful somehow he mentioned that a table for 10 nearby removed the tips and they were kind of mad around the middle of their cruise, the last morning before leaving the ship our waiter was serving breakfast in the dining room, he mentioned that they never tip him, thats incredible, also some folks removed them couple of days before the end of the cruise and never go back to the dining room, I guess they eat from the buffett, I think they add the tips to prevent that. Thats bad.

...how about those booze smugglers? The day that they ciminalize it, I'll stop bringing my bottle of KettleOne Vodka. I could make a thousand excuses like "i like to have a drink in my room" or the "it's convenient"; however, I take it because it does saves me a few $$$. Too cheap? I don't think so, maybe smart. In my opinion, CCL offers a great cruising experience at an affordable price. That is why they attract customers from the four corners of the earth. I would not be surprised if 70% of CCL passengers smuggle some kind of beverage, whether hard liquor or in excess of the allotted amount. Geez, i think i should start a new thread.

Sorry. :-)

I don't think it is a huge issue but I have seen some people on this board try to get out of paying tips. They use all sorts of excuses' date=' some valid, some not.

Some people are just too cheap to pay tips much like the booze smugglers are too cheap to buy it on the ship. But thats another thread.

I think 10.00 a day per person is a bargain not to have to cook and clean for a week.

But thats just me.[/quote']

Like I said I dont want to stir up any pots, but a lot of nationalities including hispanics dont tip, not all just some,many familes know what they have to do but some, specially he ones that dont reside in the States can create chaos in a cruise , I remember in the Valor our waiter which was wonderful somehow he mentioned that a table for 10 nearby removed the tips and they were kind of mad around the middle of their cruise, the last morning before leaving the ship our waiter was serving breakfast in the dining room, he mentioned that they never tip him, thats incredible, also some folks removed them couple of days before the end of the cruise and never go back to the dining room, I guess they eat from the buffett, I think they add the tips to prevent that. Thats bad.

Terry, for not wanting to stir the pot, your doing a fine job of it. It is

JUST NOT right to single out ANY nationality and criticize them on this

board. Letting you know that I am not Hispanic but think you need to

watch what you post.

I am sure that among the people who do not tip you'll find many

nationalities. It doesn't matter.

arpie05 - Just in case you're planning a Carnival Cruise, Carnival removed the "under 2 no gratuity", and the $10 per day per person applies to ALL children and ALL adults in the stateroom- there's no break for Ages 2-12. IMO this is appropriate. A family of 4 with two adults, a 10 year old and a 1 year old pay $40 per day per person. Ken

I don't think it is a huge issue but I have seen some people on this board try to get out of paying tips. They use all sorts of excuses' date=' some valid, some not.

But thats just me.[/quote']

LOL your right once again Ron lol.

I do confess of been guilty of smuggling booze. lol

We are going to this cruise with some friends, this is their first time cruise, also she just came form Cuba like 4 years ago so all this is new to her, yesterday we all got OBC's including her since i did all the reservations for all of us, she ask me if she was supposed to tip $10.00 per day for her kids ages 7 and 12, I told her yes, I did not give her any ideas of adjusting anything, that will have never cross my mind, she accept it, I told her dont feel bad your tips are coming out of the $160.00 OBc that you have in your account, in her case she doesn't know, she is a newbie and that can be understood , but some others are just cheap, thats a different ball game lol. If a person cannot afford to tip perhaps this type of vacation is not for them, last year we went to Punta Cana to an All incluisive, we did take like 150.00 in singles and we used them for that , tips. part of the staff there told us the same thing, that a lot of people dont tip, they said the Americans do it all the time that they always tip , I am not tryig to make an argument but thats what I heard in there, sort of what happens sometimes in the cruises.

Terry305 - They're apparently "savvy" enough to book a cruise and book airfare to get to the port, put they can't read/understand their cruise documentation, web sirte or even Capers that explains the tipping. I've heard family of 3 state that they couldn't afford the cruise without cuttingout the tips. IMO they're just selfish and cheap. ken

Terry, for not wanting to stir the pot, your doing a fine job of it. It is

JUST NOT right to single out ANY nationality and criticize them on this

board. Letting you know that I am not Hispanic but think you need to

watch what you post.

I am sure that among the people who do not tip you'll find many

nationalities. It doesn't matter.

Your right, I need to watch every word, and I am trying I hope I am not offending anyone I am just sharing what staff members of some cruise lines had told me, I know I have a big mouth and I am not trying to offend anyone thats way I said including hispanics, I just wanted to discuss tipping in a nice way, believe me I get very upset sometimes with some things here and is not my intention anymore.

Terry305 - They're apparently "savvy" enough to book a cruise and book airfare to get to the port, put they can't read/understand their cruise documentation, web sirte or even Capers that explains the tipping. I've heard family of 3 state that they couldn't afford the cruise without cuttingout the tips. IMO they're just selfish and cheap. ken

I do agree, there is no excuse.

to me is cheap, if someone books a cruise they know they had to add gratuities on it, I will not go to have diner in a restaurant and get up and leave no tip. So they put excuses to do just that in a cruise.

Yours is the kind of post about tipping that bugs me. You say you ALWAYS remove the auto-tips and then tip an excess amount in cash. You are an experienced cruiser, you have not had a service problem, yet you persist in removing the auto-tip with all the implications that may have.

Why remove it in the first place?

Service will suffer because they know they're getting tipped? Double BS, they don't know they will be tipped. Auto-tips can be removed even the last day. 24/7 you can go to the Pursers desk and adjust the tips up, down, or off. Individually or collectively.l You HAVE to go to the Purser to remove the tips. If you leave them on your account and the service is the normal you have already received, you save a trip to the Purser.

You don't believe in tipping in advance?

Well, with auto-tips you are NOT tipping in advance. You are not charged for the tips on your S&S until the cruise is over AND you get the credit card bill 2 or 3 weeks later AND pay it before the due date, maybe another 2 or 3 weeks. So you pay up to 7 weeks later, hardly "in advance."

ALSO, none of YOUR servers get a cent of your auto-tip until the cruise is over and your cc clears. Again, hardly "in advance."

I want the money to go to the right people.

Each cruiseline does their tip thing differently. On CARNIVAL a specific amount goes to YOUR room steward. AND a specific amount goes to YOUR waiter and asst. waiter. AND only $1.00 is pooled for the buffet workers, where YOU eat at least once per cruise.

All of that is without getting into the question of weather or not the workers are questioned if auto-tips are removed and all cash they then receive MUST be turned in to be pooled for all worker. Some think that happens, some think it doesn't. None, including me, is 100% certain and Carnival isn't telling.

But leaving the auto-tip in place eliminates that question. And Carnival HAS said that in that situation that the workers are free to keep all extra cash without any reporting.

Many reasons to leave the auto-tips in place. NO good reasons to automatically remove them.

Dan

If you were to continue reading the thread, you would see that I mentioned that perhaps my statement would be better suited for US based service industries such as restaurants. I don't know how many times I have gone places where I receive bad service because tipping is "standard". I do believe customer service has suffered because of people being expected to always tip 20-25% regardless of how you are treated.

Even if they are 'supposed' to report it, doesn't mean they have to. How many waiters/waitresses don't report their tips to the IRS? On the flip side of your statement, what if Carnival takes some off the top of each tip they collect. Then, the staff really are losing out by the auto tips. I'll bet that wouldn't be disclosed either.

There are good and bad ways of looking at it, just like everything else.

Bottom line - at least I tip very well for good service!

There are plenty of cultures that don't tip, and it isn't because they are cheap. In America, the waiters and waitresses get paid very little and most of their income is from tips. In other countries they may get paid a more fair wage and not get any tip income. If somebody from that country is on a cruise ship, they may not understand the concept of tipping.

I would rather the cruise lines just increase the price by $10 a day for tips, and $9 a day for fuel, and whatever other hidden charges they have. I hate looking at an advertised price that is really only about 60% of what will actually be paid.

On a good note - this board has taught me the importance of overtipping. I have rarely given a tip beyond the auto-tips. On my next cruise, I will be giving a cash tip in addition. I will likely give the room steward a cash tip on the first day.

I'm pretty sure that they have to report it. If their tips plus salary don't equal minimum wage, then the restaurant has to give them more salary.

What stops them from only reporting up to minimum wage? I am sure they credit card tips are reported, I highly doubt that there isn't anyone that doesn't report the cash. (Not saying it is the norm, but I know it happens.)

I'm pretty sure that they have to report it. If their tips plus salary don't equal minimum wage, then the restaurant has to give them more salary.

Most servers I know never report more than 40% of the tips they receive. Matter of fact...some never report cash tips....only those left on credit cards.

If you were to continue reading the thread, you would see that I mentioned that perhaps my statement would be better suited for US based service industries such as restaurants. I don't know how many times I have gone places where I receive bad service because tipping is "standard". I do believe customer service has suffered because of people being expected to always tip 20-25% regardless of how you are treated.

Even if they are 'supposed' to report it, doesn't mean they have to. How many waiters/waitresses don't report their tips to the IRS? On the flip side of your statement, what if Carnival takes some off the top of each tip they collect. Then, the staff really are losing out by the auto tips. I'll bet that wouldn't be disclosed either.

There are good and bad ways of looking at it, just like everything else.

Bottom line - at least I tip very well for good service!

Sometimes we go to a restaurant here in Miami were we lived ,they add the 15%, I do notice that the quality of service is not the best and I think is cause of the added gratuity to the bill.

What stops them from only reporting up to minimum wage? I am sure they credit card tips are reported, I highly doubt that there isn't anyone that doesn't report the cash. (Not saying it is the norm, but I know it happens.)

Most servers I know never report more than 40% of the tips they receive. Matter of fact...some never report cash tips....only those left on credit cards.

you are correct. They really only have to report enough so that their employer doesn't get in trouble.

Hi Terry305, it's great that you are doing the cruise research/reservations/organizing for your friends in addition to your own. I am also organizing a family cruise and everybody wants to leave everything up to me (I am an enabler, they can read English :rolleyes:)

I am Chinese, born and raised in a British colony. So I understand that different cultures view tipping differently. Chinese families like to give gifts of money LOL and the British are so expert at giving the tip in a handshake (back in my day at least).

Because we are traveling with many different cultures within our group, I am pre-paying everyone's tips and have put aside the cash for end-of-cruise tipping (separate from room service tips). I even have an excel spreadsheet "Tips" calculating who gets what. Each family member will get envelopes with enough (hopefully) cash and pre-printed with "TIPS - DO NOT USE" .

OCD? Yes, I am afflicted :p and these boards are keeping me from my "other job" :eek:

It seems to be an issue with this subject, I do feel that the $10.00 per day per guest is fine, whats your opinion?

I think auto-tipping is much easier for the guest but I think in the end the employees get short-changed. I've only been on one other cruise (in 2000) and I tipped better then what Carnival is charging now...7 years later. I would bet there are a lot of people who don't tip any more than the $10 per day.

Archived