Tips- $10.00 per day per Guest

Terry305

Hi SnorkelBabe, apologies, I did not see your post. You are right, the $5/day is for each room. And my math is off, I'd forgotten to include breakfast and dinner.

I am not sure how many rooms the CCL Steward is assigned, but when my mother was a housekeeper at a high end NYC hotel, she was assigned, on a daily basis, 20+ rooms for turn down, 3-5 rooms for check-out (:eek: sometimes the rooms were filthy).

Little side story: When I was about 13 years old, I went to a local Chinese restaurant on my first date (yes....13) with a 15 year old boy. He didn't know anything about tipping etiquette and had only brought enough money for our 2 meals. I was absolutely mortified when the bill came and I apologized to our waiter.

Do you know, the waiter very sincerely told us that it was a pleasure to serve us! He said he appreciated how respectful and polite we were to him during our meal, and he would take our sodas off the tab ($1 total :() "on the house!"

Ever since then, I have always made it a point to look my server in the eye with a smile, even at fast food places. I always make sure I have tip money set aside before hand and I always treat them respectfully as I would my own mother. :)

Thats a sweet story, very sweet.

:)

I truly believe that most people who take off the auto-tips and say they will tip on their own stiff the employees of the cruise line. There are a million reasons to say--he- the maitre'd didn't do anything. Keep in mind if the service is good in the dining room, he trains the waiters and assistants to do the job YOU expect.

The people with children feel it's too much to tip for a child. Did you ever think of the additional service that is necessary because your small children spill all over the floor? What about paying extra attention to your kids or bringing them their dinner when others are just having appetizers?

I don't eat in the dining room, so why should I tip them? Who do you think services the buffet for breakfast or lunch? Usually, it's the dining room staff working there during that time, at least on RCI is it.

My kids don't make a mess in the cabin, so why tip for them? Who takes out the dirty diapers you leave? Who makes up the crib, bed, etc. for your kids? Who leaves towel animals for them to enjoy?

Anyone can justify anything. I think those removing the tips are cheap. Thats my opinion. Yours may be different. We leave the auto-tip on and tip extra in many cases.

Also, I wanted to clear up something said on page 1. Royal Caribbean does NOT have people opt OUT. You have to opt IN. The exceptions are with my time dining and in many cases passengers from Europe.

I think it's a matter of time when Carnival will go the route of NCL. The auto-tip stays there unless you have a problem. Then it's up to you to tell them so they can fix it, not wait until the end and say I am not paying.

I for one am hoping that day comes soon so that everyone will be paying for the crew, not just those of us who tip and then some additionally. Either that, or they increase the cruise fare $10 per day per person to equal the requested amount.

There is talk on the boards of tips on some lines going up to $12 a day. To me, that is going to be the same as the fuel surcharge, one line does it and then all others follow. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm ready for all the flack I am going to get, but just remember, this is all my opinion. YMMV.

While I am new to cruising, I am not new to service. This is not directed at anyone in particular. It's just my 2cents. The AutoTips that Carnival places on the S&S card is considerably less than what I would normally tip on land. For example:

I hope that by looking at the math, those who question the tips will feel better that they are actually getting a discount.

I agree, it is quite a bit less than we tip on land, especially for outstanding service which we have always received with Carnival.

Like I said I dont want to stir up any pots, but a lot of nationalities including hispanics dont tip, not all just some,many familes know what they have to do but some,

Just FYI, I have several hispanic friends, I go to lunch with them often and the occasional dinner on the weekends..... they tip and they tip well.

Be very careful :)

I truly believe that most people who take off the auto-tips and say they will tip on their own stiff the employees of the cruise line. There are a million reasons to say--he- the maitre'd didn't do anything. Keep in mind if the service is good in the dining room, he trains the waiters and assistants to do the job YOU expect.

The people with children feel it's too much to tip for a child. Did you ever think of the additional service that is necessary because your small children spill all over the floor? What about paying extra attention to your kids or bringing them their dinner when others are just having appetizers?

I don't eat in the dining room, so why should I tip them? Who do you think services the buffet for breakfast or lunch? Usually, it's the dining room staff working there during that time, at least on RCI is it.

My kids don't make a mess in the cabin, so why tip for them? Who takes out the dirty diapers you leave? Who makes up the crib, bed, etc. for your kids? Who leaves towel animals for them to enjoy?

Anyone can justify anything. I think those removing the tips are cheap. Thats my opinion. Yours may be different. We leave the auto-tip on and tip extra in many cases.

I'm ready for all the flack I am going to get, but just remember, this is all my opinion. YMMV.

You took the words right out of my mouth ;) No flack here...

... this pertains to a question I asked earlier in this thread...... I had no idea that the pre-paid tip I have designated for my waiter in the formal dining room addresses, and thus, rewards, work that he or she does in the buffet.... I would think that more people would be more inclined to leave their pre-paid tips in place if they knew that this was the case..... all I have ever seen was that the "dining room wait staff" gets a certain amount, and $1 goes toward the buffet staff.....

... Katie, could you please share with us the link to where you found that the dining room staff shares in the responsibilities of the buffet preparation and that the tips they receive thru the pre-paid scenario are a part of that? ...... that is valuable information that many cruisers may not know about, I being one of them ...... if more people knew, for a fact, that even though they did not use the services of their "dining room" waiter, that they same person was serving them elsewhere, they be be more inclined to leave their pre-paids in place .....

Thank you for your contribution .... it is very helpful in helping all be "stand-up" cruisers and do the right thing.....

Have a Great Day!!

Just my opinion and nothing more...I don't even consider it "tipping" any more.

I look at it as a service surcharge and I prepay it on our cruises and consider it just the cost of cruising.

I "tip" when I order room service, get a drink or request a service from the Maitre D'. I also "tip" if I use the free Platinum wash and fold or if I require any additional services from the Cabin Steward.

Just FYI, I have several hispanic friends, I go to lunch with them often and the occasional dinner on the weekends..... they tip and they tip well.

I believe Terry is Cuban (please correct me if I am mistaken) and was only trying to share with a previous poster that tipping policies vary in different cultures, and that someone new to our great country would not fully understand the American way of tipping.

Please forgive me if I have mis-spoken. I certainly do want to offend anyone.

I agree, it is quite a bit less than we tip on land, especially for outstanding service which we have always received with Carnival.

---------------------------------------------------------

Okay I knew I had to be very cautious how to post it and I did my best, I am not going to act like some members that they deny what they say, thats not me, since I do not want to change or modify anything read what I put if you have time, I am hispanic and I do tip like many other hispanics, I said that not everyone does and sometimes in some cultures they dont know or pretend not to know and I did mention that in Carnival I believe they added automatically the tips to non americans, I am hispanic and I just used my own background to make my point because I dont want to get there but lets say than in many hipanic countries the whole subject of tipping is not like in the states, this applies to many other countries as well that I am just not going to mentioned because my intention is not to offend anyone. That I know since I have travel to various places in South and Central America, I am not calling them cheap I just said that is not something that is handle like in the United States and I am referring to those persons that live outside the U.S., The ones that live here that check in to a cruise and reduce their tips on dont tip at all those are just cheap.

Okay I knew I had to be very cautious how to post it and I did my best, I am not going to act like some members that they deny what they say, thats not me, since I do not want to change or modify anything read what I put if you have time, I am hispanic and I do tip like many other hispanics, I said that not everyone does and sometimes in some cultures they dont know or pretend not to know and I did mention that in Carnival I believe they added automatically the tips to non americans, I am hispanic and I just used my own background to make my point because I dont want to get there but lets say than in many hipanic countries the whole subject of tipping is not like in the states, this applies to many other countries as well that I am just not going to mentioned because my intention is not to offend anyone. That I know since I have travel to various places in South and Central America, I am not calling them cheap I just said that is not something that is handle like in the United States and I am referring to those persons that live outside the U.S., The ones that live here that check in to a cruise and reduce their tips or dont tip at all those are just cheap.

Okay I knew I had to be very cautious how to post it and I did my best, I am not going to act like some members that they deny what they say, thats not me, since I do not want to change or modify anything read what I put if you have time, I am hispanic and I do tip like many other hispanics, I said that not everyone does and sometimes in some cultures they dont know or pretend not to know and I did mention that in Carnival I believe they added automatically the tips to non americans, I am hispanic and I just used my own background to make my point because I dont want to get there but lets say than in many hipanic countries the whole subject of tipping is not like in the states, this applies to many other countries as well that I am just not going to mention because my intention is not to offend anyone. That I know since I have travel to various places in South and Central America, I am not calling them cheap I just said that is not something that is handle like in the United States and I am referring to those persons that live outside the U.S., The ones that live here that check in to a cruise and reduce their tips or dont tip at all those are just cheap.

I believe Terry is Cuban (please correct me if I am mistaken) and was only trying to share with a previous poster that tipping policies vary in different cultures, and that someone new to our great country would not fully understand the American way of tipping.

Please forgive me if I have mis-spoken. I certainly do want to offend anyone.

OMG thanks

I thought no one understands me lol

Ay Ay Ay lol

Gamermom you are correct I am Cuban.

I wish they would include it in the fare.

I also think it should be based on the fare you pay as well. Why should the Stewards cleaning a big suit be paid the same as cleaning a small inside.

Insides=$10 per day

Outside=$12

Balcony=$15

Suites=$20

Steve:D

I don't see how that could work.

I don't think people in small cabins make any less mess than bigger ones.

Bathrooms still have to be cleaned, beds made, etc., regardless of square footage. Also... the tip is across the board.. they all use the restaurants, regardless of cabin size.

Bathrooms still have to be cleaned, beds made, etc., regardless of square footage. Also... the tip is across the board.. they all use the restaurants, regardless of cabin size.

....your right mamasue..... I can make just a big of a mess in 2,000 square feet cabin as I can in 185 square feet cabin ;)..... although, isn't the tip allotment for the room stewards separate from the restaurant staff tips? I wasn't aware that they "pool" the tips and disperse to all.... can someone clarify that?.......

I guess I'm a bit unclear on your statement that: " the tip is across the board.. they all use the restaurants, regardless of cabin size." ...... what does the guests use of the dining options have to do with the gratuity for the cabin steward?....

Thanks, your insight is invaluable for those of us who are still learning.....

In theory, I am opposed to auto-tipping in general. Not specifically on Carnival. I really do believe that tips are for exceptional service and these days in many places, they are just expected, so service lacks. I always remove my auto-tips.

That being said, I have never received less than exceptional service on a cruise and have always hand delivered tips in excess of the suggested amount throughout and at the end of the cruise.

On the other hand, it is a shame that some people would not tip the people that deserve it. For this reason, I understand why the auto-tip procedure was implemented. (In addition to the convenience aspect.)

do you feel the same when dining out, tips are only for exceptional service?

Okay I knew I had to be very cautious how to post it and I did my best, I am not going to act like some members that they deny what they say, thats not me, since I do not want to change or modify anything read what I put if you have time, I am hispanic and I do tip like many other hispanics, I said that not everyone does and sometimes in some cultures they dont know or pretend not to know and I did mention that in Carnival I believe they added automatically the tips to non americans, I am hispanic and I just used my own background to make my point because I dont want to get there but lets say than in many hipanic countries the whole subject of tipping is not like in the states, this applies to many other countries as well that I am just not going to mention because my intention is not to offend anyone. That I know since I have travel to various places in South and Central America, I am not calling them cheap I just said that is not something that is handle like in the United States and I am referring to those persons that live outside the U.S., The ones that live here that check in to a cruise and reduce their tips or dont tip at all those are just cheap.

No problem :) Just did not want Hispanics targeted for not tipping when that is certainly not what I have encountered. I do agree with you about different cultures not being accustomed to tipping. I don't feel that $10/day is sufficient for all involved in making your cruise enjoyable which is why we choose to tip extra to the waitstaff and our cabin stewards (we have had wonderful ones by the way) With that said, if we ever do experience bad service from a staffmember I would consider removing their part of the tip but dh would probably just leave it due to the embarrasment he would feel by asking them to remove it! :rolleyes: :)

....OH, and Dan ... a bit off topic, but one business evening at Fisherman's Wharf at the pre dinner cocktail gathering, I made the mistake of letting my American Express be the first one to hit the bar!!!

...... after 2and a half hours, the bill was $1100.00 ....!!!! how do you slip that little nugget into the expense report!!!???

...fortunately, my boss, his boss and the bosses BOSS (Company President) were there and their VERY expensive libations were on my tab!!! so I was told, (under wink and an elbow to the ribs) that it is no problem and to also throw a dinner on the expense report for me and the wife for being the sucker that sacrificed his AMEX..... Boy did we laugh.....(after sweatin like a BIG DOG for a couple hours) ....

....and yes, the $1100 was before tips!!!:eek:

My $900. was at the Mandarin, only a few blocks away. I'm guessing that the tip was included, things are a little fuzzy for that night. Approval? VP of Sales & Marketing doan need no steenkin' approval.:D The CEO picked up dinner that night.

Dan

....your right mamasue..... I can make just a big of a mess in 2,000 square feet cabin as I can in 185 square feet cabin ;)..... although, isn't the tip allotment for the room stewards separate from the restaurant staff tips? I wasn't aware that they "pool" the tips and disperse to all.... can someone clarify that?.......

I guess I'm a bit unclear on your statement that: " the tip is across the board.. they all use the restaurants, regardless of cabin size." ...... what does the guests use of the dining options have to do with the gratuity for the cabin steward?....

Thanks, your insight is invaluable for those of us who are still learning.....

FYI,

Each line has its own method of disbursing tips.

Carnival is

$3.50 for your room steward.

$5.50 for your waiteam

$1.00 Pooled for the buffet workers..

15% added to bar tabs

Princess is

$10 pooled for hotel staff exc. bar workers.

15% added to bar tabs

MSC is

$12. pooled for all staff including bar. No individual adjustments can be made.

RCL is

very similar to Carnival, not sure if it is exactly the same.

Dan

Believe me it is easier to clean a big space vs a small space. I moved from a house of 3700 heated with 3000 feet of garage to a house about 2000 square feet. With a big space you have more space to store stuff. I have stuff I don't know where to always put which makes the house look messy at times. It is the same in the cabins. IMO

I have just returned from Carnival Freedom.

Brits are mostly quite reserved and not used to the 'tipping' culture.

For our second successive cruise we left all the auto tips on, both for my wife and I who ate our dinners in the restaurant, but all other meals buffet style, and for my 16 yr old who ate all buffet style.

I do this because the cruise line have adopted a system, which they believe is fair, and this takes away the embarrassment, which I would have if I handed out envelopes. Of course, if we perceived that a crew member had done something exceptional then we would consider an additional tip.

We have been lucky enough to have enjoyed a Mediterranean cruise for each of the last three summers, two on Princess and one on Carnival, all with auto-tipping. Once we tipped $10 up front, but have noticed no difference in standards of service, on any of the cruises.

Moral issues about poor rates of pay and poor living standards are not the customers concern, they are to be dealt with by the employers and administrators.

One final thing, many posters use the words, 'room stewart'. Is this an American word, or is it just a mis-spelling of 'steward'?

NCL will be increasing theirs to $12 per day per person age 3 and up starting January 1, 2009. This came out in an email today.

I do find it a bit amazing that they increase costs for everything on a cruise and leave the suggested gratuities at the same rate. They should raise it a $1 and divide it accordingly.

Hello,

we booked on the Valor for Feb 2009 and our TA here has included the 10$ per Day and Person in the price were paying.

I think this is very good, because here in Germany the tipp culture is really diffrent and so I´m sure I can`t make a mistake in giving to less tipps. In fact I will give more if I like the service.

In Germany the tipping is not part of the fee, it`s only a bonus for really good service and you should give 5-10% in Restaurants for example.

Cashya

Brits are mostly quite reserved and not used to the 'tipping' culture.
In my experience, Brits will tip when it is customary and not quibble over a few dollars.

For our second successive cruise we left all the auto tips on, ...........................this takes away the embarrassment, which I would have if I handed out envelopes.
The art of slipping a tip into the handshake has been handed down many generations in our family LOL. Even after 35 years here in the States, my parents are still uncomfortable with the "Here ya go, buddy!" style of tipping.

Moral issues about poor rates of pay and poor living standards are not the customers concern, they are to be dealt with by the employers and administrators.
Nothing to add here.

One final thing, many posters use the words, 'room stewart'. Is this an American word, or is it just a mis-spelling of 'steward'?
It is a mis-spelling.

BTW Tim, your penguin clip had me laughing so hard! Where did you find it?

NCL will be increasing theirs to $12 per day per person age 3 and up starting January 1, 2009. This came out in an email today.

So those sailing after 1/1/09 will be charged $12,or those booking after 1/1/09 will be charged that? Prepaids for cruises after 1/1/09 are affected how?

Steve

... this pertains to a question I asked earlier in this thread...... I had no idea that the pre-paid tip I have designated for my waiter in the formal dining room addresses, and thus, rewards, work that he or she does in the buffet.... I would think that more people would be more inclined to leave their pre-paid tips in place if they knew that this was the case..... all I have ever seen was that the "dining room wait staff" gets a certain amount, and $1 goes toward the buffet staff.....

... Katie, could you please share with us the link to where you found that the dining room staff shares in the responsibilities of the buffet preparation and that the tips they receive thru the pre-paid scenario are a part of that? ...... that is valuable information that many cruisers may not know about, I being one of them ...... if more people knew, for a fact, that even though they did not use the services of their "dining room" waiter, that they same person was serving them elsewhere, they be be more inclined to leave their pre-paids in place .....

Thank you for your contribution .... it is very helpful in helping all be "stand-up" cruisers and do the right thing.....

Have a Great Day!!

I wish I could show you a link but I don't know where there is one. I only know I have seen my waiter/assistant in the buffet areas working during breakfast and lunch. As I stated this was on RCI and it's been a few years since I have been on Carnival, but I do believe the policy is the same.

On RCI the waiters/assistants work one week a month full time in the buffet. That week basically, they get no tips. They work the 3 meals a day, whereas when they are not assigned to the buffet full time, they still can be scheduled for the buffet for lunch or breakfast.

The Maitre d's also take turns working in the buffet for breakfast and lunch. The cruise lines have worked out the way they feel the tipping should be so that everyone is covered. If the auto-tip were left alone, everyone who is supposed to get tipped will be given his/her share.

I know this is a Carnival board, but on the RCI boards there are many threads about tipping and most of them talk about how the waiter/assistants work in the buffets too.

Enjoy.

Archived