Maasdam and cabin AC

cmos2000

Hello,

I am thinking of booking a 14nt cruise on the maasdam in february 09. My primary concern is that I have read various threads mentioning AC in some cabins that does not work well. (i.e. warm rooms and / or having to use a fan) I really do not like sleeping in warm rooms on vacation and this could be a deal breaker for me.

Is there any feel for if this problem has been resolved or is luck of the draw and I guess how wide spread it is?

Thanks,

Peter

Hello,

I am thinking of booking a 14nt cruise on the maasdam in february 09. My primary concern is that I have read various threads mentioning AC in some cabins that does not work well. (i.e. warm rooms and / or having to use a fan) I really do not like sleeping in warm rooms on vacation and this could be a deal breaker for me.

In 44 cruises we have never had a problem with the AC. Do AC problems happen --- yep, but don't let the fear of a problem stop you from cruising.

I have taken roughly 20 cruises over about 25 years and never really had a problem with AC either but then I have not read as many threads where people have complained about AC problems on a particular ship either which is what gives me pause. I am choosing between this ship and 14nt on the grand princess. Obviously different experience to be expected on both choices though the maasdam has the better of the two itineraries.

Peter

We were on the Maasdam Voyage of the Vikings July 5 through August 9 and didn't hear anyone complaining about AC/heating. We were in an inside cabin lower promenade and were just fine.

Stuff does happen on occasion. I wouldn't worry about it, go and enjoy your cruise.

Cheers,

Hello,

Is there any feel for if this problem has been resolved or is luck of the draw and I guess how wide spread it is?

Thanks,

Peter

We were on the Maasdam in August and we had air conditioning problems. The public areas were cool, but there were problems with the air in the cabins. We were shown additional cabins and the air wasn't working properly in those. We spoke with a few passengers who were also having air conditioning problems in their cabins. This is a problem on this ship or they wouldn't have the stock of fans to put in cabins. I have never heard of fans being placed in cabins on any of our previous cruises. HAL needs to address this problem on the Maasdam. Other than the air conditioning problem, the ship was lovely and the staff was terrific. We agree that we do not like sleeping in warm rooms on vacation and this could be a deal breaker for us too.

We were on the Maasdam in August and we had air conditioning problems. The public areas were cool, but there were problems with the air in the cabins. We were shown additional cabins and the air wasn't working properly in those. We spoke with a few passengers who were also having air conditioning problems in their cabins. This is a problem on this ship or they wouldn't have the stock of fans to put in cabins. I have never heard of fans being placed in cabins on any of our previous cruises. HAL needs to address this problem on the Maasdam. Other than the air conditioning problem, the ship was lovely and the staff was terrific. We agree that we do not like sleeping in warm rooms on vacation and this could be a deal breaker for us too.

We're on the Maasdam in November and would hate to be stuck in a cabin with no AC for 14 days. Which cabins were having the problems? Was it isolated to a certain part of the ship?

We were on deck 4, but others we spoke with were on other decks. The Maasdam is a wonderful ship, but the air conditioning problem (if it affects you) can create major problems on your vacation. It is obvious that this ship has problems with the air because we have never heard of a ship stocking so many fans for passenger use.

We returned from two weeks on Maasdam about two hours ago. The a/c in our cabin, in Ocean Bar, in Dining Room, in Pinnacle, Explorations etc etc was fine. Maasdam is as wonderful as ever and we loved every bit of our time aboard.

BOOK Maasdam. You'll be happy you did.

Maasdam's crew is WONDERFUL and a happy, wonderful crew makes for happy guests...... IMO

We were on deck 4, but others we spoke with were on other decks. The Maasdam is a wonderful ship, but the air conditioning problem (if it affects you) can create major problems on your vacation. It is obvious that this ship has problems with the air because we have never heard of a ship stocking so many fans for passenger use.

I was on the Maasdam in Apr.08 and didn't have issues but on the Ryndam in 2007 it was brutal. The issues I have heard usually stem in the lower decks which is strange to me. There was a huge discussion on this board about people leaving their veranda doors open that got a bit ugly. I think it's the luck of the draw about the a/c which is stupid. This is something that always concerns me when I cruise. I'm a hot sleeper and I need a cool cabin to sleep.

I had a/c problems on Maasdam on a Caribbean cruise. These issues crop up from time to time, since the ship is in constant use with no down time until drydock. My impression may well be wrong, but it seems A/C problems occur more frequently on Caribbean itineraries rather than New England ones.

While this is a minor annoyance to most people, it's crucial to some of us with respiratory issues. On Statendam in an inside cabin on Main deck I was given a fan. On Maasdam, in a verandah on Navigation deck, the problem got fixed. Whether the difference was deck location, amount paid for the cabin, or just dumb luck is anyone's guess.

I understand it must be frustrating for the front desk staff to get constant complaints on an issue they can't fix, but the official line was: "Why would you have a problem with a cabin temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit?" This pretense, along with the dining room and Pinnacle being "normal" while over 80 degrees and filled with smoke-from-kitchen-grills was unhelpful.

I've decided I won't be cruising on a "S" class ship in anything less than a suite, where I can get help from the concierge if a a/c problem crops up. I'm not suggesting the OP should do the same, or cancel.

Archived