What to do with luggage for the day in Vancouver?

c-cruise

We are taking a short 3 night Pacific NW cruise on the Oosterdam at the end of the month. The cruise starts in Seattle and ends in Vancouver; we are taking the train back to Seattle that evening. Would like to find a location to store our luggage so we don't have to drag it around with us all day in Vancouver. Does anybody know if there are luggage lockers available at either Canada Place or Pacific Central Station?

Thanks,

c-cruise

We are taking a short 3 night Pacific NW cruise on the Oosterdam at the end of the month. The cruise starts in Seattle and ends in Vancouver; we are taking the train back to Seattle that evening. Would like to find a location to store our luggage so we don't have to drag it around with us all day in Vancouver. Does anybody know if there are luggage lockers available at either Canada Place or Pacific Central Station?

Thanks,

c-cruise

You can also check your luggage for the day at Pacific Central Station at the VIA rail counter.

You can also check your luggage for the day at Pacific Central Station at the VIA rail counter.

This is definitely an option but you are going to burn up the best part of an hour or more going back and forth to the train station and the cost of taxi's or transit.

Thanks for all the replies. I have contacted CDS baggage services to see if they are still operating at Canada Place on 9/30. If that doesn't work out I am not opposed to going to Pacific Central Station to drop the luggage. Not concerned with the time/cost of getting there and back as we are basically just looking to kill time in Vancouver. I am not familiar at all with the VIA rail counter. Can anybody use this service or do you have to be a VIA rail customer (we are on Amtrak)?

transport to the train station and a place to store your luggage during the day...

Renting a car is not a good option for us this time. We have a party of 6 including a toddler. We aren't bringing a car seat and don't really want to get one from a rental car agency. We live in Seattle and have been to Vancouver a bunch of times so no need for a lot of sightseeing. Just hoping for decent weather so we can wander around and enjoy the city for the day before catching the train back to Seattle.

maybe you can go for a coffee...new experience for you right....

have you checked out the sky train ..dump your bags and then go for a walk?

Heh, yeah we don't have much Coffee here in Seattle, have to cross the boarder for that stuff...

SkyTrain is definitely in our plans. Didn't hear back from the CDS Baggage service people so thinking about just taking SkyTrain over and dropping our bags at Pacific Central Station. I would just check them onto the train, but the station we are getting of the train at doesn't have baggage service in the evening. Not sure exactly what that means, but don't necessarily want to find out either. If the weather is good we will probably take SkyTrain back to the Waterfront station, but if the weather is lousy we may just head over and check out Science World.

Heh, yeah we don't have much Coffee here in Seattle, have to cross the boarder for that stuff...

SkyTrain is definitely in our plans. Didn't hear back from the CDS Baggage service people so thinking about just taking SkyTrain over and dropping our bags at Pacific Central Station. I would just check them onto the train, but the station we are getting of the train at doesn't have baggage service in the evening. Not sure exactly what that means, but don't necessarily want to find out either. If the weather is good we will probably take SkyTrain back to the Waterfront station, but if the weather is lousy we may just head over and check out Science World.

Science World is a good choice particularly with children. Another way to kill some time is a visit to Granville Island with their Kid's Market.

http://www.granvilleisland.com/en/node

http://www.kidsmarket.ca/

I would just check them onto the train, but the station we are getting of the train at doesn't have baggage service in the evening. Not sure exactly what that means, but don't necessarily want to find out either.

Couple of things here, just so everyone knows. What that means is that none of the stations are open except Seattle itself, so you cannot check baggage to them. If you do check baggage on the southbound train from Vancouver, the baggage is going to Seattle whether you are or not.

Even if you could check bags, you cannot do it before you check in for the train itself. You have to walk your baggage through US Immigration before you check it. When you have the Via counter hold the bags, you have to get them back before you check in for the train.

BTW -- I ride from Edmonds to Vancouver and back at least a couple of times a year.

Thanks,

c-cruise

We are on the same cruise, have you found any tour companies that give sightseeing tours(vancouver), besides the debarkation excursion offerred by Holland America?

Couple of things here, just so everyone knows. What that means is that none of the stations are open except Seattle itself, so you cannot check baggage to them. If you do check baggage on the southbound train from Vancouver, the baggage is going to Seattle whether you are or not.

Even if you could check bags, you cannot do it before you check in for the train itself. You have to walk your baggage through US Immigration before you check it. When you have the Via counter hold the bags, you have to get them back before you check in for the train.

BTW -- I ride from Edmonds to Vancouver and back at least a couple of times a year.

Thats great info thanks. As you can probably tell we aren't frequent Amtrak riders. We will be sure not to check our luggage as we are getting off at Edmonds. Most likely will have the VIA counter hold our bags and then carry them on the train. It is only a 3 night cruise so we aren't going to have a ton of luggage anyways. Thanks, for your help.

c-cruise

..you never heard any coffee jokes before...thanks for not flaming me..roast canuck is not good eating anyhow

No need for an apology, I knew it was a joke. My reply was supposed to be a joke as well, but must have lost something in the translation. Never tried roast canuck, but doesn't sound very appetizing :)

We are on the same cruise, have you found any tour companies that give sightseeing tours(vancouver), besides the debarkation excursion offerred by Holland America?

We've been to Vancouver many times, so haven't really been looking for a sightseeing tour. We looked at the HAL disembarkation excursion, but they end up at the airport which doesn't work for us. Don't know exactly what we are going to do. Probably spend the morning downtown, grab some lunch then spend a few hours in the afternoon at Science World before catching our train.

Anybody know a good (kid friendly) lunch spot somewhere within walking distance of Canada Place?

Archived