When Docked In Alaska...Do We Get Local Channels?

ManhattanCruiser

I know Princess has talked about extended channel choices coming soon (or was that a rumor)...but with all this "Alaska in the Spotlight" news, I'm curious to know if we'll get any local news while in port next week.

Please...let's not make this a political thread... I have not mentioned any political leaning.

Just curious about their local news.

In America it is illegal for a cruise line to receive tv programming through the air and re-broadcast it to paying passengers.

The only legal way to do this is to arrange to receive the programming via satellite, paying for a very expensive decoding license.

If the programming is available on satellite, typical costs = $30,000 per month, per channel, per ship.

Sorry no local news. Just ESPN, CNN and that is about it. When I go there sometimes I will pick up a local newspaper say in Junean, Skagway or Ketchikan. Sometimes that is fun to read.

Marilyn

Do the ususal cruise ship towns have television stations? I assume Juneau and Anchorage would have stations but I can't imagine Skagway or Sitka with their own stations. I guess even Ketchikan might not have a TV station.

I believe that Skagway and Sitka (and likely even Ketchikan) receive their TV via translators, like a lot of our rural WA towns do, and get their main stations from ANC and JNU. I know that is how they get their Seahawks football and Mariners baseball, along with local radio networks.

Only one- "sort of local" station in Juneau- is the public station- sometimes some local news - not sure of times of day. Re abc, nbc, cbs- no, "local" television station in Southeast Alaska- I think a couple say they are local - but their programing comes via satellite- no local broadcasts- all news programing comes from Anchorage stations. When you are in Southeast Alaska- turn on your radios- and you will get some "local color"- especially- between- 11- to 12-. have fun- Ruth

Archived