Cruising The Baltics on RCI

GMoney

I'm thinking about a Baltic cruise next year and am considering RCI. I'd like to hear your impressions from those of you who have done this cruise on Jewel. I'm not too worried about the ship, food or service; it's the itinerary I'm interested in most. For example:

> Are there any key ports not included on RCI's itinerary?

> Is the time in port generally sufficient?

> Do you prefer Scandinavia / Russia over British Isles / Norweigan Fjords?

> Is one month better than another

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'll check the port of call boards too. Thanks.

I'm thinking about a Baltic cruise next year and am considering RCI. I'd like to hear your impressions from those of you who have done this cruise on Jewel. I'm not too worried about the ship, food or service; it's the itinerary I'm interested in most. For example:

> Are there any key ports not included on RCI's itinerary?

> Is the time in port generally sufficient?

> Do you prefer Scandinavia / Russia over British Isles / Norweigan Fjords?

> Is one month better than another

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'll check the port of call boards too. Thanks.

Hi Patrick............we did the Baltic's cruise on Jewel mid August of 2005. It was the last cruise before the TA. Weather was good to very good........though we did encounter the occasional drizzle now and then. Jeans and a light jacket and we were good to go.

Here is a link to my review that I wrote. When you get to the page go to post 803

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179045&page=41

It's been some time since we did this cruise.....as a matter of fact, it was on a Vision class ship. But......in 23 years of cruising......I must say, it has to be our number one favorite cruise of all!! We went in June and it was HOT! You never know. When you're in port, it's very intense.....but very relaxing in between.....and the sun never sets. You can sit in the Viking Crown very late and enjoy the beautiful views. We've got to do this one again!

Hi Patrick. We were on the Jewel for the eastbound TA at the end of April 2006............and continued on as a B2B to the Baltic's. The weather was wonderful.........save for a part of the day in Tallinn, Estonia.

This year we were on the British Isle/Norwegian Fjords........which Captain Thore recommended to us when we were aboard for the Baltic cruise.

Both cruise are port intensive. If I were to pick one over the other to do again...........it would be the Baltic.

We arrived in every port before 8AM and left at either 5PM or 6PM except St. Petersburg, where we spent the night, giving us two full days to explore.

The first and last days were sea days........something to unwind before hitting the ports.........and something that we needed!!

Patrick............I'll come back and talk about the ports if you like. :)

Rick

Hi Patrick. We were on the Jewel for the eastbound TA at the end of April 2006............and continued on as a B2B to the Baltic's. The weather was wonderful.........save for a part of the day in Tallinn, Estonia.

This year we were on the British Isle/Norwegian Fjords........which Captain Thore recommended to us when we were aboard for the Baltic cruise.

Both cruise are port intensive. If I were to pick one over the other to do again...........it would be the Baltic.

We arrived in every port before 8AM and left at either 5PM or 6PM except St. Petersburg, where we spent the night, giving us two full days to explore.

The first and last days were sea days........something to unwind before hitting the ports.........and something that we needed!!

Patrick............I'll come back and talk about the ports if you like. :)

Rick

Gee Rick, how could I forget that you were on the that cruise with George and Sadie and Gert and Al.:o In fact, I wrote that review specifically for George and Sadie and the folks on your cruise.

Gee Rick, how could I forget that you were on the that cruise with George and Sadie and Gert and Al.:o In fact, I wrote that review specifically for George and Sadie and the folks on your cruise.

Do I need to share some picture of those 4!! We had a wonderful time with them!!:D :) ;)

And.........with your review Patti & Jim.............I don't need to say anything more to Patrick................I think you have said it all!!:) :)

Rick

Thank you all very much for your responses; they are very helpful.

Max'sMom - Your comment about the heat helps. I remember roasting in some Med ports in June. I want to avoid that, but was worried that going in May might be too cool (I've been on too many Alaska cruises lately, I think :) ). I know there's no predicting the weather. :D

I will keep planning!

Thank you all very much for your responses; they are very helpful.

Max'sMom - Your comment about the heat helps. I remember roasting in some Med ports in June. I want to avoid that, but was worried that going in May might be too cool (I've been on too many Alaska cruises lately, I think :) ). I know there's no predicting the weather. :D

I will keep planning!

Patrick.........you know as well as anyone else that the one thing that we have no handle on...........is the weather.

Last year, in late June and the first part of July, there was a low over the UK which kept spinning off rain over the northern part of Europe. We were doing a Rhine and Mosel river cruise, and we had rain, and then partly cloudy days for the entire 14 days of the cruise, and in Lucerne, Switzerland.....it was 2 days of nothing but a downpour!!

Then, 3 days later in southern Germany........the temperatures soared to over 100 degrees.........and we were staying in old castles and B&B's with no air conditioning. So, no matter what month you plan for.......it's a bit of the roll of the dice.

No matter what..........I'm sure that you will enjoy the Baltics.

Rick

Patrick,

We did both the Russia/Scandinavia and the Norwegian Fjords/British Isles as a back to back cruise in 2004. Talk about port intensive. Well those two cruises sure kept us busy. Each port was an all day adventure with so many not to miss attractions.

The weather was wonderful as we wore jeans, t's and light jackets. The only day we had rain was the second day in St. Petersburg when we went to Peterhof. It did start to clear up as we were leaving there. We booked our two day tour with Red October and enjoyed every moment.

The Norwegian Fjords trip was really awesome too. But if we had to choose over these two cruises we would definitely chose Russia/Scandinavia. Our wish is to go back and do them both again. Norway was so picturesque with the towns of Bergen, Gerainger, and Flam being some of our favorite stops.

Which ever cruise you decide on you will have the cruise of a lifetime. None of our other trips could ever compare to this wonderful back to back cruise.

• 3 months later...

Archived