Can this be real??

Terry305

This was posted on the RCI forum a couple of days ago. The consensus seems to be that it's heavily embelished. I don't know...with all the recent complaints of poor customer service and shoddy treatment of pax by officers and crew on numerous cruise lines, I tend to believe it's most likely accurate.

If you want a real laugh, read the thread that ensued from the posting of this story on RCI. It took some pretty hilarious twists and turns. Read it if you want some good entertainment! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=839918

I read a lot of it, but I put the link since the op that did the thread said that he change some words , I wonder if anything else happened ..

In October 2007 we docked at Progresso Mexico and I had met a woman online that had retired from Canada in that area. She started a food bank, started a sewing class for moms, worked in the nursing home and volunteered at a local school that was 90% poverty level. I was to meet the woman and deliver school supplies. The school had agreed to let us come to the school and meet the students. The students were expecting us and had prepared a reception. Before we left home I had made arrangements to take school supplies on the ship and to deliver them to the school myself. I met with the Pursur's office when onboard, filled out all the paperwork and was so excited to meet this amazing woman. The security desk as we were getting off would not let me off with my piece of luggage that I was rolling off. I spent the next 2 hours working with customs to prove that everything was on the up and up. They said that I could leave the ship but that I could not take the supplies with me until they had a notarized letter from the school. I rushed to meet the woman (the rest of my party had gone ahead to meet her so she would not be "stood up" and leave). We had the best morning with the students. We got to go to every grade. They had prepared drawings and essays about their culture. They served homemade pastries and coca cola. It was the best day ever! I got the necessary documents from the school. I rush back to the ship so I can get the supplies. And when I arrive there are a new set of security/customs people present. I went through the whole process again. They didn't care about the notarized letter from the school. They said that the school supplies could sit in the customs warehouse for 3 months and then the school could pick them up. I opted to bring the supplies back and donate them to the local Crisis Nursery. I was afraid that if they sat in the warehouse they would never reach the school. We were able to leave money with the school from other donors and have since shipped supplies to them. The pursur was amazing - he rallied with me.

The main issue was that customs could not and would not understand why we would want to donate school supplies to people we did not. I was cool. The remainder of my party who were several feet away were making bold comments. It definately was not helping the situation. I will always wonder if everyone had stayed calm if we could have won the battle that day. When in a foreign port or at sea - you must follow the rules - those written and those implied. The consequences are too risky. Why even risk spoiling a perfectly good vacation, relaxation, sun, sea, food, entertainment and memories for something so mundaine. Good can not come from it. Rules were not made to be broken. Leaders may change the rules at a moment's notice but it is not our place on vacation to challenge the at present leadership.

Just my humble experience and two cents!

If that blog Glock talk a serious one??

I notice that is for something to do with weapons, I just feel it was weird was happened to him, I wonder if things like this happen all the time, I have taken some of those chocolates form the steward cart on the Hallway , I will never do it again, maybe there is a camera watching me stealing chocolate for God's sake!!!

In October 2007 we docked at Progresso Mexico and I had met a woman online that had retired from Canada in that area. She started a food bank, started a sewing class for moms, worked in the nursing home and volunteered at a local school that was 90% poverty level. I was to meet the woman and deliver school supplies. The school had agreed to let us come to the school and meet the students. The students were expecting us and had prepared a reception. Before we left home I had made arrangements to take school supplies on the ship and to deliver them to the school myself. I met with the Pursur's office when onboard, filled out all the paperwork and was so excited to meet this amazing woman. The security desk as we were getting off would not let me off with my piece of luggage that I was rolling off. I spent the next 2 hours working with customs to prove that everything was on the up and up. They said that I could leave the ship but that I could not take the supplies with me until they had a notarized letter from the school. I rushed to meet the woman (the rest of my party had gone ahead to meet her so she would not be "stood up" and leave). We had the best morning with the students. We got to go to every grade. They had prepared drawings and essays about their culture. They served homemade pastries and coca cola. It was the best day ever! I got the necessary documents from the school. I rush back to the ship so I can get the supplies. And when I arrive there are a new set of security/customs people present. I went through the whole process again. They didn't care about the notarized letter from the school. They said that the school supplies could sit in the customs warehouse for 3 months and then the school could pick them up. I opted to bring the supplies back and donate them to the local Crisis Nursery. I was afraid that if they sat in the warehouse they would never reach the school. We were able to leave money with the school from other donors and have since shipped supplies to them. The pursur was amazing - he rallied with me.

The main issue was that customs could not and would not understand why we would want to donate school supplies to people we did not. I was cool. The remainder of my party who were several feet away were making bold comments. It definately was not helping the situation. I will always wonder if everyone had stayed calm if we could have won the battle that day. When in a foreign port or at sea - you must follow the rules - those written and those implied. The consequences are too risky. Why even risk spoiling a perfectly good vacation, relaxation, sun, sea, food, entertainment and memories for something so mundaine. Good can not come from it. Rules were not made to be broken. Leaders may change the rules at a moment's notice but it is not our place on vacation to challenge the at present leadership.

It would appear that Progresso has hung the "Bienvenido La Mordida" banner. ;) :(

I figure the guy who wrote the post downplayed his "tampering" a bit. I figure he also downplayed his reaction to being questioned, retained, etc. Come on, his wife was getting angry but he was totally calm throughout?

I doubt the ship contacted "homeland security and the FBI" unless he had done more than he admitted. I've seen plenty of passengers touching things they shouldn't and trying to get into places they shouldn't, and have never seen them even asked to refrain from what they are doing, let alone kicked off the ship.

Yeah, this guy posted over on the RCCL board last week. The general consensus was; keep your hands of things that don't belong to you, don't go rooting around in businesses that are closed, don't open doors and play with equipment that isn't yours.

For all security knew, this moron could be planting explosions or harmful devices. His actions were all caught on video surveillance cameras.....so all his ranting is to no avail. They wouldn't have put him through the security mill unless they believed he might be up to something. They certainly wouldn't remove him from the ship and file a report to the authorities for no reason.... You'd think he'd know better - especially in today's security-conscience environment.

As for statements he said "they" made, unless I hear it myself or from the person who said it, or from someone who witnessed it, I'll take that with a grain of salt. As usual, we've probably gotten 1/3 of the REAL story here.

The guy's an idiot. He got what he deserved.

It's always a good idea to check with authorities and customs people of the country you are visiting if you are bringing things in....especially when it concerns children. Their customs people have the final say as to what comes in and what doesn't. Had you not relied on just the school, you would have been prepared with the letter from the school and you would have knowed about the quarantine on the products. (Most countries, including the U.S. has quarantine restrictions on different items). If you had tried this in some other countries around the world, they could have held you until the customs people determined you weren't a smuggler of some sort.

It certainly wasn't Carnival's fault. You should have done the research yourself. It is ALWAYS the passengers responsibility to know what is required.

You could have shipped it to them much easier, without all the fanfare and fuss.

While your heart was certainly in the right place, there was much lacking in researching.

• 2 weeks later...
It's always a good idea to check with authorities and customs people of the country you are visiting if you are bringing things in....especially when it concerns children. Their customs people have the final say as to what comes in and what doesn't. Had you not relied on just the school' date=' you would have been prepared with the letter from the school and you would have knowed about the quarantine on the products. (Most countries, including the U.S. has quarantine restrictions on different items). If you had tried this in some other countries around the world, they could have held you until the customs people determined you weren't a smuggler of some sort.

It certainly wasn't Carnival's fault. You should have done the research yourself. It is ALWAYS the passengers responsibility to know what is required.

You could have shipped it to them much easier, without all the fanfare and fuss.

While your heart was certainly in the right place, there was much lacking in researching.[/quote']

Interpretation is everything. And of course this is a board so some random day to day details which would create a novel are omitted as to state the issue. So to have no more confusion:

I believe that I was praising the help we received from Carnival. I have never had anything but great service from Carnival - far more superior than other proclaimed "higher-classed" cruise lines.

I believe I stated that I did do all the reasearch (maybe not in your words) and followed all directions that I was given while still in Missouri and followed through on board as directed to alert them and customs of the arrangements.

The school who was never involved until the day of was the victim here. Local customs brought them into the issue and still deprived their own students.

Thank you for your input.

This person had posted on the RCCL forum here as well as the Ask a Cruise Question......

The same post, same circumstances.

He was pretty well shot down and told to keep his hands off things that don't belong to him and don't be a smart a$$ when approached by security.

I believe the thread was finally poofed....but, in any case, that's his story and he's apparently sticking to it.

The OP was wrong for touching anything but I believe the story is fabricated. Kick him off the ship for touching an airbrush? Come on.

My impression being that it was on that "glock" site is that maybe he brought it out of the cart and swung it around as if he was holding a gun, that would get a lot of unwanted attention!

Not to mention that he kept calling the red-headed security guard a derogatory term. Sounds like a real jerk.

That was the thing I kept coming back to. That sort of attitude is gonna scream out loud and clear, even if he's not calling the guy that to his face.

Archived